Bluetooth disconnects every 12 minutes

Search This thread

sladflob

Dec 18, 2010
Hi all,

I have a Tune2Air Bluetooth adapter in my car which works great with my Nexus 9 and my partner's iPhone. But when I'm connected to it with my G4, the Blueooth connection drops out almost exactly every 12 minutes (+/- 1 minute). After 30 seconds or so the phone reconnects but it's annoying as hell, especially when the dropout occurs when Google Maps is giving me a crucial navigation instruction. My phone is an international H815, totally stock, running build 20D of Marshmallow.

Here's what I've tried/observed:

The phone stays connected without any problems to my Bose Bluetooth speakers at home.

I have made sure that all power saving modes are turned off. I have added Bluetooth to the Ignore Optimizations list in case MM's Doze mode is causing this.

I noticed that when on long drives in the country the phone seems to stay connected to the Tune2Air without the usual dropout. This made me wonder if it could be an interaction to do with the cell radio that is causing the dropout. I tried just sitting in my driveway (in case it was cell-tower handoff) but the dropout still occurs. I have tried disabling mobile data and WiFi while driving but the dropout still occurs.

My mobile provider supports Fast Dormancy and I usually have this enabled. I wondered if maybe this is causing the problem (because of some difference between the city and country cell towers) so I tried disabling it, but the problem persists.

I looked in the log using logcat but couldn't see anything indicating why the connection is dropping. I tried enabling Bluetooth logging from the Developer Menu but unfortunately this doesn't seem to work.

I'd really like to solve this problem but I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone suggest anything else that I could try? Are there any other Bluetooth or mobile network timers of this approximate duration that could be causing the problem? Or any other settings in the service menu that I could try?

Thanks,

james

sladflob

Dec 18, 2010
I don't see an update to 20e, either OTA or using LG Bridge. Reading the forums, the consensus seems to be that 20e does not differ significantly from 20d. I think I'll stick with 20d for the time being as I can't bear the thought of doing another factory reset right now.

danieldp1990

Jul 17, 2012
cali
I don't see an update to 20e, either OTA or using LG Bridge. Reading the forums, the consensus seems to be that 20e does not differ significantly from 20d. I think I'll stick with 20d for the time being as I can't bear the thought of doing another factory reset right now.

then downgrade to a previous version of MM

monkeydogger

Feb 13, 2012
Hi, This is a bit of a wild stab in the dark but with the seeming regularity it could be a service / polling issue. Have you checked the location based profiles - Perhaps the "turn off Bluetooth when I'm away from home" option is set and this is happening every 12 minutes? Like I said, bit of a wild stab in the dark/ suggestion but might be worth a check. You could also check it whilst sitting in your driveway and see if it happens....

Reactions: sladflob

sladflob

Dec 18, 2010
Hi, This is a bit of a wild stab in the dark but with the seeming regularity it could be a service / polling issue. Have you checked the location based profiles - Perhaps the "turn off Bluetooth when I'm away from home" option is set and this is happening every 12 minutes? Like I said, bit of a wild stab in the dark/ suggestion but might be worth a check. You could also check it whilst sitting in your driveway and see if it happens....

Ooh, you could be onto something here. I'm going to try disabling "Bluetooth scanning" setting under the Scanning menu on the location screen and see what happens. Another possible culprit is Google Location History so I can try disabling that. As a last ditch effort I will try switching my Location Mode from High Accuracy to Device Sensors Only and see if that helps. I'll report back once I can get a chunk of time in the car.

Thanks!

Last edited:

sladflob

Dec 18, 2010
So I tried all of the things I mentioned previously, rebooted, and it was still doing it - disconnecting every 12-13 minutes.

BUT after some more experiments last week the problem seems to have "fixed itself". Here's what I did...

I was wondering if it wasn't an app that was interfering and causing the dropout so I decided to boot the phone into Safe Mode and see if it helped. Unfortunately it exhibited the same behaviour... Google Play Music played for 12 minutes and then dropped out. So thinking that was pointless I rebooted back to normal mode. My phone then connected to the car stereo but was in this strange mode where audio was still coming out of the speaker rather than being sent across Bluetooth. So I deleted the phone pairing and re-paired and since then, whenever I've gotten in the car, the phone has stayed connected to the car stereo without dropping. Note that this isn't the first time I've deleted and redone the pairing... I'd tried that several times to try and fix the problem. The only new ingredient was going into Safe Mode. Not sure if this cleared something some state in the Bluetooth settings but I'm not complaining.

On the other hand, this is also fairly unsatisfying as it's not clear what "fixed it", and should it happen again I don't have a great degree of confidence that I'll be able to fix it again. Still, it's a step in the right direction and I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

sladflob

Dec 18, 2010
So I think I've finally fixed this once and for all. Thought I'd share here in case it's useful to someone one day.

The problem started happening again after I accidentally deleted the pairing and had to re-pair it. Not sure why but I thought to tap the little cog next to the Tune2Air entry in the Bluetooth Devices list. I was surprised to see that under PROFILES both Call Audio and Media Audio were selected (the Tune2Air device I am connecting just supports Media Audio and doesn't do phone calls). So I unticked the Call Audio, reconnected the device, and everthing's been fine since.

I'm not sure whether the device is advertising that it supports Call Audio or whether the G4 is just assuming that it does. Actually the G4 connects just fine to my Bose soundlink (and just shows the Media Audio profile) so I'm think there's something funny with the BT implementation of the Tune2Air device.

Nevertheless, it seems odd that the phone should drop the whole BT connection after 12-13 minutes if it can't connect to call audio. Maybe someone more familiar with the Bluetooth stack can tell me if this is acceptable behaviour or if the G4 is doing something weird.

Reactions: unknown device

unknown device

Mar 25, 2008
So I think I've finally fixed this once and for all. Thought I'd share here in case it's useful to someone one day.

The problem started happening again after I accidentally deleted the pairing and had to re-pair it. Not sure why but I thought to tap the little cog next to the Tune2Air entry in the Bluetooth Devices list. I was surprised to see that under PROFILES both Call Audio and Media Audio were selected (the Tune2Air device I am connecting just supports Media Audio and doesn't do phone calls). So I unticked the Call Audio, reconnected the device, and everthing's been fine since.

I'm not sure whether the device is advertising that it supports Call Audio or whether the G4 is just assuming that it does. Actually the G4 connects just fine to my Bose soundlink (and just shows the Media Audio profile) so I'm think there's something funny with the BT implementation of the Tune2Air device.

Nevertheless, it seems odd that the phone should drop the whole BT connection after 12-13 minutes if it can't connect to call audio. Maybe someone more familiar with the Bluetooth stack can tell me if this is acceptable behaviour or if the G4 is doing something weird.
Just wanted to give a huge thankyou to you from the future, sladflob. Doubt I'd ever have thought to disable call audio for pairing to my bodged Bovee bluetooth adapter, and this has solved my constant dropout and reconnects.

Happy days! 🥰

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.