Bluray for shield TV

Search This thread

bega

Jan 7, 2008
I like the nVidia shield TV.
But now it has happened, my visit had brought a BluRay.
Since asked myself the question whether it is possible to connect a BD drive to the shield TV and play movies?

That would be very awesome, if that were possible. Can you help me there possibly more?

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yes and no. You will probably need to find or write your own drivers, and compile your own software low level, possibly down to kernel depending on what the shield supports. On top of that, it's going to be a dificult process getting it to play once you simply have it mounted. Here is an example of someone getting a TVT drive to work on a transformer, then an update removed this ability even, and that's just a DVD player. (Check the rest of the thread)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=29383430&postcount=4

These are streaming devices, and optical media is dying as much as the stores try to tell you it's not. I highly suggest ripping your own media assuming the legality in your country and setting up a media streaming box or use your home PC if it'll handle it. Google, nor other box companies, are likely to try to add support as it's extra bloat to many, and on top of that, many that own movies will buy a digital copy if they want it and can't/won't rip their own media. If you can get a gathering of people who want it, and some good programmers who see a need, you may get support via custom software, but I would'nt hold your breath. If I can answer any more questions, or you would like something more clear, please let me know. Hope you enjoy your shield!

TLDR: Not now, and not likely. Sorry.

skeptic_always

May 21, 2014
I gotta ask, why bother? BR owners generally fall into two categories - people with BR players and the tiny minority like me that rip movies to a server and stream the movies. Which ever method you were using before you got a nSATV will still work now. Most likely that means leaving your BR player (stand alone, PS3, whatever) hooked up to a different HDMI port. Moving forward, I agree with kdb424 - rip your movies and stream them. This could be a full Plex server setup, or something as simple as a network share + Kodi.

I have a hard time saying "just buy all your new movies from a streaming source" because I personally will not do that until Amazon Instant video is officially supported on Android TV, including the nSATV. The reasons are simple, I'm already a Prime member just for the shipping deals so many of the movies I would otherwise possibly buy are free, it's supported by every device I use other than nSATV, and I want all my purchased shows/movies to be from a single source.

bega

Jan 7, 2008
I can understand that it really is not worth the effort.
However, with my friends, it is still generally the rule that they have and bring DVDs or Blurays.
You can rent them also for very little money, in video stores.

It would be easy to offer only to have a single device, with which I can play everything.

I have connected to the test a BD drive to the "shield TV" and can choose to be mounted the disc. The drive will be recognized as a memory.
Not more. [emoji4]

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
However, with my friends, it is still generally the rule that they have and bring DVDs or Blurays.

It would be easy to offer only to have a single device, with which I can play everything.

I have connected to the test a BD drive to the "shield TV" and can choose to be mounted the disc. The drive will be recognized as a memory.
Not more. [emoji4]

So you are saying that you could get it to mount? If so you should be able to play it with Kodi or VLC (I recommend kodi) as it has disk support, but I haven't heard of anyone getting optical mediums of any sort working with android well. Hoping you have solved it.

tailslol

Sep 20, 2015
I think no player can read br format yet. Only licenced ones like power DVD and stuff like that can. You better download a mkv bd rip under 4gb (or rip yourself) and put it on a fat 32 micro sd or USB hdd or thumb drive. Then read it with vlc,kodi or the mkv/mp4 player of your choice.I guess it is the only way.
Or directly download from the shield itself if you can.

piatikantrop

Sep 18, 2010

Not more. [emoji4]

Bega, can you try to play a dvd or music cd through kodi on the shield?

bega

Jan 7, 2008
No. If i click to mount the "USB Storage", it goes back to the screen before and show that the " USB storage is unmounted and can safely removed"
At kodi i can´t the the storage. :(

[email protected]

Oct 14, 2015
Yes it can be done only by mount the Bluray drive on the network instead of the USB route,
Then use Xbmc search for mounted d drive connect and play away, I use the vidonxbmc version with the beast version loaded onto of vidonxbmc so I can play back Bluray menu support so far it works flawlessly u can mount a bunch of virtual drives if u have ISO as well
This is on my shield TV.

Reactions: winXPHE

CaptainChris2018

Aug 29, 2018
Puyallup, WA
Yes but maybe no.

I know there is an (As seen on TV) Digiland tablet with a built-in DVD player, and there is an app on the tablet which plays the DVDs. So it's differently possible to watch DVD on an android device, and since Android TV is based on Regular Android, so it's possible to use any android app, but I tried searching "digiland dvd app "apk"", it just took me to the apks for FRP Bypass. If you happen to come across an apk, try using an external DVD player, you said Blu-Ray though. I mean, I did not look for a way to get Blu-rays working yet,
but I know that Blu-ray discs come with a DVD version, but 4K UHD Blu-ray discs don't come with DVDs. Yes, I get how nobody likes the 480p DVD video, but I am still searching for something that will work with Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray.
Link to the Digiland DVD Tablet combo on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/DigiLand-Portable-10-1-Inch-Touchscreen-Quad-Core/dp/B07JM892ZL

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone