General Boot / DTBO Images [Root / Stock] - 5 / Pro / Ultimate (NOT S)

Search This thread
These images are NOT built from source.

These are the stock images from the firmware provided by Asus that are extracted with payload dumper and uploaded without modification.

You must have already unlocked the bootloader to flash these images. If you have not unlocked the bootloader, you will need to install and run the Unlock Device App from Asus before continuing.

You will also need fastboot to install these images. If you do not wish to install the Platform Tools Package, there is a portable package available. Extract the archive and move the images to the same folder as fastboot.

Each folder on AndroidFileHost contains the stock boot image, stock vendor_boot image, and stock DTBO named by firmware.

Code:
fastboot flash boot [/path/to/image]

fastboot flash vendor_boot [/path/to/image]

fastboot flash dtbo [/path/to/image]

Root images have been removed due to misuse. As a reminder, do NOT lock your bootloader without restoring stock images FIRST.

If you want a rooted device, the stock boot image can be used with the "Select and Patch a File" install option in Magisk.

If you have wiped your device or uninstall magisk, even with a rooted image, root will not work until the app is installed again.

The vendor_boot and dtbo are flashed when restoring from a custom kernel. They are not required to (un)root your device.

Last edited:

JazonX

Can the Vendor Boot image (Patched) give read/write access to system via root explorer ?

May sound stupid, But I was wondering.. ^^

I used to patch the hosts file manually, and replace it in system,
Now I need the magisk hosts module, and the adaway app both.

Can the Vendor Boot image (Patched) give read/write access to system via root explorer ?

May sound stupid, But I was wondering.. ^^

I used to patch the hosts file manually, and replace it in system,
Now I need the magisk hosts module, and the adaway app both.

Doubtful. The new Android layout is a mess. The actual purpose of the vendor image is for Google to make generic base kernels and have all the customization as an overlay. It isn't the vendor making the system read only. That is part of the partition layout and firmware structure.

They use images that are much larger than the partition size, but compressed and mounted like a virtual machine. Even though the old "Ubuntu on Android" mods did much the same thing and allowed editing, I believe they locked these up to prevent issues with changing the compressed size or flat out lack of necessity to write the code.

JazonX

Doubtful. The new Android layout is a mess. The actual purpose of the vendor image is for Google to make generic base kernels and have all the customization as an overlay. It isn't the vendor making the system read only. That is part of the partition layout and firmware structure.

They use images that are much larger than the partition size, but compressed and mounted like a virtual machine. Even though the old "Ubuntu on Android" mods did much the same thing and allowed editing, I believe they locked these up to prevent issues with changing the compressed size or flat out lack of necessity to write the code.

Did you come across this tool ?

Neat party trick, but fundamentally just piece of mind. You end up using a bunch of space that could just as easily be a fraction with modules. We have a super partition, but no custom recovery. You will be running it with a live install, which is a whole lot of risk for partition corruption. The partitions on this seem a little too finicky. I couldn't bring myself to try.

(For our friends that prefer the preview panel)

Last edited:
Added V18.0840.2111.196

payload_dumper is returning an empty image for vendor_boot, so it was not uploaded. I am not sure if this is because it is a legitimately empty image or some other issue. If anyone happens to have different results, please let me know. I will investigate further.
the vendor_boot.img I have extracted is 98,304 kb which I just downloaded yesterday.

messhary

Dec 1, 2021
I just load the boot.img you posted it for
root.

18.0840.2111.196 for my same firmware and relocked my bootloader

So now I'm Stucked on bootloader i can't even go recovery

Top Liked Posts