• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Boot loop after installing latest update from LineageOS lineage-14.1-20180719-nightly

Search This thread
Apr 29, 2017
My fellows and friends,
One of these days, I received an update from LineageOS and when installing it from OTA ( using TWRP ), the first lines ( about 10 to 15 ) from the istallation sequence activities were all red, showing that something went wrong. Immediately I removed the batery to stop the process and installed the first version of the custom rom, using the TWRP. It worked fine and I received some notifications about the new revisions of the rom. I skipped the one that caused problems and accepetd the download the one on the Nov, 17, 2018 of the rom, and had installed. It appeared to me that everything was ok but, one day I turned the phone off during thje night. The next morning, I tryed to boot the phone without success. It started an infinite loop situation..... So, I tryed to repeat the same procedure to install the very first version of the rom using TWRP at the recovery mode. When I was using the TWRP to perform the advanced wipe, the dalvik cache, data and system could not be wiped. The answer about the problem was shown as : failed to mount /efes ( inavlid argument ).
I got the information that, in cases like that, the stock rom should be installed. I downloaded it from www.stockrom.net and had it istalled with the use of Odin. Unfortunately, the boot loop was there again.
What was worse now was that no TWRP was installed and Odin could not recognize the phone, although I had installed the newest set of drivers from Samsung, applicable to any devices from them.
Please I need your help to see if there is a possible solution to solve this case. Phone Model: GT-i9300 SSN -I9300GSMH - in Brazil
The message I got from the phone: E: failed to mount /efes ( inavlid argument )
IMG_20181124_112721920.jpg

IMG_20181124_112804979.jpg
I thank you in advance any help from you guys,
Gilberto Leite

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Flashing a stock ROM will always replace TWRP with the stock recovery.

Are you trying to flash the latest stock ROM?

Do you have a backup of the EFS directory? It's an important directory as that is where a lot of information, including the IMEI is stored.

Apr 29, 2017
Hi Audit 13, thnaks for replying.
No I don't have the back up for the folder you mentioned. I was trying to install the last stock rom downloaded from www.stockrom.net, which I suppose was the last one. The worst part is that to computer does not recognize the phone since then.... I do not know what to do. I suppose that there is not a way to back up the folder you mentioned. I think that I have to install something from the very begining, as if the phone was to receive the installation of the very first program, as if it was just coming from the factory, totaly clean. Is that so? Am I right? And, how to do it? I tryed to download the stock rom from Samsung, but I think it was difficult and could not have it accomplished.
Thanks a lot and I'm still waiting instructions of how to solve this problem.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
You should try using different USB cables and different USB ports to recognize the phone.

I assume you are using Windows since you mentioned Odin. When you connect the phone, do you see any new devices appear under Device Manager?

What is the phone's model # in download mode?

Is the the ROM you used: https://www.stockrom.net/2015/11/stock-rom-original-de-fabrica-samsung_19.html ?

Did you try using Odin 3.07?

Reactions: Gilberto Leite
Apr 29, 2017
Hi Audit13!
Thanks a lot for your help! I've already got hte files you mentioned and am preparing for trying to do the procedure you taught me.
Thanks again and soon, I hope, to be back to confirm whether it succeded.
Bie....

Apr 29, 2017
Hi Audit13,
Unfortunately the computer is not recognizing the SGS device.
I was ready to install the sock rom you suggested, had downloaded the Odin 3.07. I use Windows 10 and the latest drivers have been installed. The phone was in the download mode and tryed all available USB port. I've waited some minutes in each USB port for recognition with no success.
I thank you for your help. Is there any other method we could try? If you could please indicate, I thank you again.
Is there a method available using ADB procedures?
Hope there is.
Thanks, anyway for the help.

Apr 29, 2017
Hi Audit13
I think that the situation got a little worse. I tryed to do some recovery on the emergency recovery mode, but none of them succeeded. Now, what I get when tryng to get to the recovery mode is an android robot with an open belly with a red triangle coming out of it.... It gets to thedownload mode, but no recognition from the computer. This happened after trying to ionstall the stock rom obtained from the site you mentioned. The only thing that I could do was through the Universal-Android-Diag-Enabler-V2, what made the qualcomm start. Is there a way to make a comand to the phone that could star the USB debbuging? I tryed the various ODIN versions but with no success.
There is another problem - I'm using Windows 10 and the PowerShell uses different command lines not recognized by adb. I tipped devices and the program indicated that there was an mistake.
Is ther an Instructions Booklet for Odin?
What is your opinion? Do you think that there still exists a solution for my phone's case? If so, what to do?
Please, I ask you to help me on solving this problem.
Thanks in advance...

Top Liked Posts