• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

Boot loop of death on Nexus 6P

jhs39

Oct 8, 2015
Chicago
A lot of people in these threads seem to think Nougat is to blame for the boot loop issues. I know people on custom ROMs have encountered the issue--but if those ROMs are based on Nougat that doesn't disprove the blame on N. I'm curious if anyone running Marshmallow or Marshmallow based ROMs have encountered either boot loop issues or the boot loop of death?

Reactions: OctaneZ

CyberpodS2

Mar 27, 2012
NE Pennsylvania Boonies
One person in another thread said after they downgraded to MM a week later it looped. Several questions I have would be, does the nougat install actually trip some condition? Was this users problem the same as the nougat loops? With only one example, it's too soon to really know. The 6P seems to be a bootloop magnet anyway so to answer your question, yes bootloop have happened but they can be corrected. The problem with the bootloop of death is even after flashing a full stock image (of any version) it's still boned.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

jhs39

Oct 8, 2015
Chicago
One person in another thread said after they downgraded to MM a week later it looped. Several questions I have would be, does the nougat install actually trip some condition? Was this users problem the same as the nougat loops? With only one example, it's too soon to really know. The 6P seems to be a bootloop magnet anyway so to answer your question, yes bootloop have happened but they can be corrected. The problem with the bootloop of death is even after flashing a full stock image (of any version) it's still boned.
I actually think a lot of bootloops of death could have been corrected but they are on stock phones with the bootloader locked and Allow OEM Unlock not selected in Developer's Menu. I've come across a lot of people in the threads in that situation. The only option then is RMA or paperweight.

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
A lot of people in these threads seem to think Nougat is to blame for the boot loop issues. I know people on custom ROMs have encountered the issue--but if those ROMs are based on Nougat that doesn't disprove the blame on N. I'm curious if anyone running Marshmallow or Marshmallow based ROMs have encountered either boot loop issues or the boot loop of death?
If MM users are immune, then wouldn't flashing back to their old rom (or factory MM image) cure the loop? I don't know the answer, but just throwing that out for discussion. I think this has been tried on some affected devices but did not work. How could a loop in N prevent you from going back to MM? I honestly don't know. I'm very surprised that simply restoring a solid backup doesn't get a device right back on track, unless there is some kind of hardware defect causing the loop.

None of my Nexus devices are encrypted, and I'd be interested to know if the initial encryption process can be ruled out as a trigger for the bootloop. I wonder if the use of a no force-encryption modified boot.img to prevent encryption would prevent the looping. There's no way to know unless someone with a bootlooping device has already tried this and failed. Anyway, I'd like to hear from (and offer help to) anyone who would like to take things one step further and possibly find a way out of the looping.

CyberpodS2

Mar 27, 2012
NE Pennsylvania Boonies
If MM users are immune, then wouldn't flashing back to their old rom (or factory MM image) cure the loop? I don't know the answer, but just throwing that out for discussion. I think this has been tried on some affected devices but did not work. How could a loop in N prevent you from going back to MM? I honestly don't know. I'm very surprised that simply restoring a solid backup doesn't get a device right back on track, unless there is some kind of hardware defect causing the loop.

None of my Nexus devices are encrypted, and I'd be interested to know if the initial encryption process can be ruled out as a trigger for the bootloop. I wonder if the use of a no force-encryption modified boot.img to prevent encryption would prevent the looping. There's no way to know unless someone with a bootlooping device has already tried this and failed. Anyway, I'd like to hear from (and offer help to) anyone who would like to take things one step further and possibly find a way out of the looping.
In my case, I was running pure nexus 7.1.1 , dynamics gapps, elementalx and supersu. Unencrypted. The install was running for a week and then while it was sleeping on my recliner arm I saw it reboot and that was it. No matter what I tried, it never recovered.

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Ok, thanks for responding. My theory was that during the initial encryption process the phone locked up and started to bootloop. Just to clarify, how were you modifying the boot.img? Just running SU before first boot? I would usually queue up SU and then EX in TWRP and run before first boot. Now I just use FlashFire and it takes care of that on the fly. Glad you are back up and running. Wonder how long you will stay on 6.0.1? ha ha ha :D

CyberpodS2

Mar 27, 2012
NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Followed the Heisenberg tutorial to get to the point where I was running unencrypted, rooted with twrp. Then was just flashing like normal.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

No I am not back up yet. RMA was my only option. Waiting for it to return.

CyberpodS2

Mar 27, 2012
NE Pennsylvania Boonies
It was on nougat 7.1.1 I'm back on my N6 now until the 6P is back from RMA. I'll be installing 6.0.1 on it what it returns unless someone has answers.

I'm going to try bumping this thread before starting a new one. Anyone who got into the "bootloop of death" and had to RMA, can you please list what Rom and what circumstance brought on the loop. Maybe we can find a common thread. If this has already been tried, no harm no foul but I'll start. Pure Nexus 7.1.1 with elementalx and super su. It was just sitting there sleeping in front of me when I saw it reboot. Never got it back up again.

ticiano_arraes

Jun 25, 2011
I managed to get back from bootloop. Dont know if just luck but my phone was totally locked, no OEM Unlock or Root. I did a wipe for no good, flashed latest OTA from stock recovery and nothing. Than I put my phone in my wife's Moto Z charger and wiped everything again. Boom. Booted.

Reactions: CyberpodS2

BIGSAMDA1ST

Nov 29, 2012
Brooklyn,Ny..
Stock rooted, about a week or so after updating to 7.0, while on a YouTube video phone froze, rebooted and the rest is history. Without being able to get into recovery mode and trying about everything there was to try ,I just finally gave up and had it rma'd.
This happened back on October.

Balino

Mar 3, 2011
Gaeta
I'm going to try bumping this thread before starting a new one. Anyone who got into the "bootloop of death" and had to RMA, can you please list what Rom and what circumstance brought on the loop. Maybe we can find a common thread. If this has already been tried, no harm no foul but I'll start. Pure Nexus 7.1.1 with elementalx and super su. It was just sitting there sleeping in front of me when I saw it reboot. Never got it back up again.
Stock rom and flash kernel. I was Just playing around the settings and started to bootloop. Huawei replaced the Logic board in a month here

Wickidmasshole

Apr 4, 2012
Boston Mass
DU 7.1.1 latest weekly on J vendor. a week after i got the battery replaced! had the flashlight on and went to take a pic. phone froze. booted into recovery once and it just died. Out for repair now. the only saving grace is Huawei ships to and from with Overnight.

F

flemorj

DU 7.1.1 latest weekly on J vendor. a week after i got the battery replaced! had the flashlight on and went to take a pic. phone froze. booted into recovery once and it just died. Out for repair now. the only saving grace is Huawei ships to and from with Overnight.
who replaced your battery, was it an oem battery?

rndchef

Jun 4, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I am on stock unrooted. Was updating permission for Greenify and the bootloop started. I have Wugfresh flashed stock image and still bootloop. I can get into bootloader but not recovery. I have flashed stock image 3 times and everything loads properly but still bootloops. Never seen this before on any phone. A fresh stock flash always brings it back. Not this time. Any help would be great????

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I am on stock unrooted. Was updating permission for Greenify and the bootloop started. I have Wugfresh flashed stock image and still bootloop. I can get into bootloader but not recovery. I have flashed stock image 3 times and everything loads properly but still bootloops. Never seen this before on any phone. A fresh stock flash always brings it back. Not this time. Any help would be great????
When you say you cannot get into stock recovery, exactly what do you mean? Do you not see the dead Android guy? Have you tried formatting recovery and re-installing stock recovery or even TWRP? I'd focus on getting a working recovery before moving forward. Then, in NRT>> advanced utilities, try formatting cache, system, and userdata and then use the toolkit again to "flash stock + unroot" , using the soft-brick status option.

Reactions: rndchef

rndchef

Jun 4, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
If a phone has the true boot loop of death, boot loader is the only screen you can do anything in. Oh besides the barcode screen. There is no recovery available, stock or twrp. Also any flashing with fastboot goes without error but fixes nothing.

This is unfortunately correct. I spent endless time trying to push a stock recovery file and still no access to recovery. Tried everything in the NRT arsenal and nothing. Huawei is replacing it after 1 year. Since it takes 2 weeks, I am getting the Mate 9 tomorrow and selling the 6P. Been a good year but time to move on.