[Bootanimation](Updated AGAIN04/10)Flavored HoneyComb Boot & HitchHiker)MOAR Colors!

Search This thread

ahavens17

Nov 11, 2006
[Bootanimation](Updated AGAIN04/10)Flavored HoneyComb Boot & HitchHiker)MOAR Colors!

**EDIT**
This thread in the Evo Themes & Apps Section
Link & attachments are here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1028921

The last boot preview cycles through Google's signature colors, blue, red, yellow, and green.(Changes colors every 3 frames). If you have photosensitive epilepsy, please be aware. I wouldn't know whether or not this could cause a seizure or something of that nature, but this is just a precaution. (I mention it because it reminded me of this music video).

I recently moved from the MIUI Rom on my Evo to the CyanogenMod 7 RC4 (for now). While on MIUI I had it Honeycomb themed for the most part. Wanting to try something new, I moved to Cyanogen, and was for the most part burnt out on the honeycomb theme, but I really still enjoyed the honeycomb boot animation.

To stay in line with the Cyanbread theme, but keep the honeycomb boot animation I created the below for myself. It was actually a pretty simple modification, considering my less than desirable Photoshop skills. I also optimized the images as much as I could to keep the file size down. The end results actually ended up being a bit smaller than the original, with no real visible loss in quality.

If there is any interest in other colors just left me know, I would be more than happy to throw them together.

To install: Just use a File Explorer. (I used ES File Explorer). Rename the boot animation of your choosing to bootanimation.zip and rename your current boot animation bootanimation.zip_bak or something in case you want to move back to it. You now also have the option to use the flashable zips included below!

Note on ES File Explorer:I've never had any problems replacing system files with it, however you may need (while file explorer is open) Press Menu - Settings - Root Options. Make sure Root Explorer and Mount File System are both checked. If they are checked and it isn't working, uncheck the boxes and recheck them and it should then work.

Location of bootanimation:
  • The boot animation for CyanogenMod is currently in the system/media folder.
  • To my knowledge for MIUI it would be in /system/media also, or possibly the data/system/theme1/boot (if you are using a themed boot screen already).
  • Some people might also find it in the data/local or system/customize/resource folders.

All credit for the flashable zips included go to Tiffany84, Thank you!

Cyanbread HC Boot Animation Preview:
29cq61v.gif

Cyan Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
Flashable Cyan (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
Flashable Cyan (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

Gingerbread HC Boot Animation Preview:
124vmme.gif

Gingerbread Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
Flashable Gingerbread (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
Flashable Gingerbread (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

HoneyIce White HC Boot Animation Preview:
28i48bk.jpg

White Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
Flashable White (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
Flashable White (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

PinkAction HC Boot Animation Preview:
14njsw3.jpg

Pink Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
Flashable Pink (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
Flashable Pink (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

RedAction HC Boot Animation Preview:
v7wv9.gif

Red Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
Flashable Red (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
Flashable Red (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

NewBlue HC Boot Animation Preview:
2wf0kfd.gif

Blue Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
Flashable Blue (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
Flashable Blue (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

YellowYellow HC Boot Animation Preview:
2hqf59w.gif

Yellow Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
Flashable Yellow (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
Flashable Yellow (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

Google Themed HC Boot Animation Preview:
30dfnso.jpg

Google Themed Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
Flashable Google Themed (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
Flashable Google Themed (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

Last edited:

ahavens17

Nov 11, 2006
Updated OP to reflect flashable zips, & 5 new color options! Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy boot animation also updated with 4 options & 2 sound options!

Last edited:

ahavens17

Nov 11, 2006
I couldn't get it to work on my Thunderbolt. It wouldn't override the current boot animation file.

I designed it for my Evo, i'm not familar with the Thunderbolt, but I would believe it would be the same process and a similar if not the same location. Are you rooted? What method are you using to install? Are you using one of the flashable zips, or are you manually moving the bootanimation.zip to the correct folder? Are you using root explorer, ES File Explorer etc?

this is a very nice bootscreen it would be even better if it was the android logo instead :D

I agree, I think it would look awesome with an android logo! I'm actually not a big Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy fan personally, I was just helping out someone who requested it over in the Evo forum, so I made it to his specifications. I wouldn't consider myself an artist/animator really, but I don't think it would be that difficult for someone verse in Flash or Photoshop to modify it appropriately.

Blue works best for me... It looks so beast!!!

Thanks, Glad you like it. I originally wasn't going to do a blue, but I wanted to try something different with the multi colored Google themed version, and I had already batched the entire thing blue anyways for that one, so I just zipped it up and tossed it on here. Same goes for the yellow version.

-- Also updated first post to reflect the flashable zips for all the bootanimations

Last edited:

ahavens17

Nov 11, 2006
how do i get this to flash on mytouch 4g......i cant seem to flash them

I believe after a really quick search in the MyTouch Themes threads, it looks like the boot animation might reside in the data/local folder or the system/customize/resource folder? In any case, if the flashable versions are not working for you, you would need to move them to the correct folder, (delete or backup the current bootanimation.zip) and rename new animation to bootanimation.zip. Root access is necessary of course as well.

Last edited:

itzsmokey

May 1, 2009
New York
I believe after a really quick search in the MyTouch Themes threads, it looks like the boot animation might reside in the data/local folder or the system/customize/resource folder? In any case, if the flashable versions are not working for you, you would need to move them to the correct folder, (delete or backup the current bootanimation.zip) and rename new animation to bootanimation.zip. Root access is necessary of course as well.

i know how to change the bootanimation.zip and all........but since the only time i really see the animation is when i flash a CM nightly, i will never get to see the boot animation in this forum unless i can flash it, since when you flash a nightly it goes back to the CM7 boot animation.

RavenWulf

Jun 15, 2010
Texas

yep that is exactly how to get it to work on the MT4G, data/local for CM6/7 and system/customize/resource for "pure" Sense except for Espresso based ROM, in that case it is system/customize/resource just like "pure" Sense, but they would need to rename the file "TMUS_bootanimation.zip"

these are recolors are awesome! I'm running the blue one right now on my MT4G, the "Google" one on my MT3G-S and the pink one on my wife's MT3G-S running CM7RC4 with a combo of the Punk Pink and Pink-a-ton themes... she loves it

Last edited:
Reactions: ahavens17

ahavens17

Nov 11, 2006
i know how to change the bootanimation.zip and all........but since the only time i really see the animation is when i flash a CM nightly, i will never get to see the boot animation in this forum unless i can flash it, since when you flash a nightly it goes back to the CM7 boot animation.

Whether you flash it or move it manually, it puts the files into the same folders, its just two different approaches at getting it there. (So anyone feel free to clarify or correct me if I'm wrong) So after each CM nightly flash you would have to move the bootanimation manually or flash it again anyways? Tiffany84 actually put the flashables together for me on the Evo boards, I'd assume flashing a nightly would overwrite the update-script in her flashables anyways? Again I could be wrong but thats just my educated guess.

yep that is exactly how to get it to work on the MT4G, data/local for CM6/7 and system/customize/resource for "pure" Sense except for Espresso based ROM, in that case it is system/customize/resource just like "pure" Sense, but they would need to rename the file "TMUS_bootanimation.zip"

these are recolors are awesome! I'm running the blue one right now on my MT4G, the "Google" one on my MT3G-S and the pink one on my wife's MT3G-S running CM7RC4 with a combo of the Punk Pink and Pink-a-ton themes... she loves it

Thank you, and thank you for the clarification as I don't have a mytouch 4g.:D

Last edited:

RavenWulf

Jun 15, 2010
Texas
Thank you, and thank you for the clarification as I don't have a mytouch 4g.:D

No problem, anytime I see something cool like this that will/should work on multiple devices I'm more than happy to help get it working on other devices if I can and help get the writer's eye-candy out there to spread the word.

side note : for those who do decide to put this on HVGA devices such as the MT3G-S you need to un-zip the file > open the desc file and change the first 2 groups of numbers from 480 800 to 320 480 > save changes and re-zip the file then push/flash whichever method you use on your devices. you don't have to do this but it will look "right" if you do.

MitchRapp

Aug 18, 2010
Montreal
very very very (very) nice boot animation (I chose the google one...)
any chance at making it fit the 10.1 screen of the XOOM? :)

*EDIT* nvm just modified the text file to 1280 x 800 and we're good to go (although a bit stretched out)

thanks!

Last edited:

ahavens17

Nov 11, 2006
very very very (very) nice boot animation (I chose the google one...)
any chance at making it fit the 10.1 screen of the XOOM? :)

If you happen to have the bootanimation.zip(or whatever it may be called) for the xoom, I can theme it, i still have the settings from all the colors in photoshop. If your rooted you should then be able to just replace the one you have now with the one I make. I'd assume this one would work(as it was initially pulled from the xoom, I just themed it (you should just be able to change the resolution in the desc.txt file to whatever the xoom's is, and use the ones I have.) I dont know if the original animation pictures are bigger for the xoom. Sorry if that response is kind of garbled, I'm actually at work ;)

MitchRapp

Aug 18, 2010
Montreal
If you happen to have the bootanimation.zip(or whatever it may be called) for the xoom, I can theme it, i still have the settings from all the colors in photoshop. If your rooted you should then be able to just replace the one you have now with the one I make. I'd assume this one would work(as it was initially pulled from the xoom, I just themed it (you should just be able to change the resolution in the desc.txt file to whatever the xoom's is, and use the ones I have.) I dont know if the original animation pictures are bigger for the xoom. Sorry if that response is kind of garbled, I'm actually at work ;)

holy crap you lost me there :p
I took your google-colored boot animation, modified the txt to 1280x800 and it's good to go...
you want me to send you the original xoom boot anim?

ahavens17

Nov 11, 2006
holy crap you lost me there :p
I took your google-colored boot animation, modified the txt to 1280x800 and it's good to go...
you want me to send you the original xoom boot anim?

Sorry, yea I didnt have time to refine my thought process at that point in time lol.

If its working and doesn't look stretched or anything, great. I was just attempting to say that if you wanted me to theme your stock boot animation, instead of using one of mine from the OP, I could do that for you.

I wasn't sure if the animations I used were of the same quality as the one found on the xoom, as our screens are smaller than the tablet. I know they originally came from the xoom, but i didn't know if any resizing occurred when someone originally used it on our phone.

Hope that makes a little more sense :D

sahurbari

Jul 18, 2009
philadelphia
I just tried flashing the red bootanimation an it cannot be flashed through cwm 3.0.0.5 abort error message comes up talking about a script thingy sorry I couldn't be more specific.

ahavens17

Nov 11, 2006
Here ya go

Original bootanimation.zip from the XOOM WIFI
funny, resolution is like 1408 x 800 according to this... maybe they over-stretched it to compensate for something... the original boot anim is kinda lame quality on the xoom!

The picture quality is identical, the bootanimation used must have been originally that size, the images even from your xoom are only 512 x 256. ( So I'm assuming it has to stretch even on the Evo, so it must really stretch on the zoom.) I've messed around with one and even rebooted it to see the animation in the store, lol, but I guess I didn't examine it real close. Here is your boot screen revised with the google colors however, in the proper landscape format,(Evo's are rotated for portrait mode) and the stock resolution settings. Try that and see if it looks better/same.

Edit: Just make sure you rename it bootanimation.zip again before you swap itout again.

Reactions: MitchRapp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

**EDIT**
    This thread in the Evo Themes & Apps Section
    Link & attachments are here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1028921

The last boot preview cycles through Google's signature colors, blue, red, yellow, and green.(Changes colors every 3 frames). If you have photosensitive epilepsy, please be aware. I wouldn't know whether or not this could cause a seizure or something of that nature, but this is just a precaution. (I mention it because it reminded me of this music video).

I recently moved from the MIUI Rom on my Evo to the CyanogenMod 7 RC4 (for now). While on MIUI I had it Honeycomb themed for the most part. Wanting to try something new, I moved to Cyanogen, and was for the most part burnt out on the honeycomb theme, but I really still enjoyed the honeycomb boot animation.

To stay in line with the Cyanbread theme, but keep the honeycomb boot animation I created the below for myself. It was actually a pretty simple modification, considering my less than desirable Photoshop skills. I also optimized the images as much as I could to keep the file size down. The end results actually ended up being a bit smaller than the original, with no real visible loss in quality.

If there is any interest in other colors just left me know, I would be more than happy to throw them together.

To install: Just use a File Explorer. (I used ES File Explorer). Rename the boot animation of your choosing to bootanimation.zip and rename your current boot animation bootanimation.zip_bak or something in case you want to move back to it. You now also have the option to use the flashable zips included below!

Note on ES File Explorer:I've never had any problems replacing system files with it, however you may need (while file explorer is open) Press Menu - Settings - Root Options. Make sure Root Explorer and Mount File System are both checked. If they are checked and it isn't working, uncheck the boxes and recheck them and it should then work.

Location of bootanimation:
    • The boot animation for CyanogenMod is currently in the system/media folder.
    • To my knowledge for MIUI it would be in /system/media also, or possibly the data/system/theme1/boot (if you are using a themed boot screen already).
    • Some people might also find it in the data/local or system/customize/resource folders.

All credit for the flashable zips included go to Tiffany84, Thank you!

Cyanbread HC Boot Animation Preview:
    29cq61v.gif

Cyan Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
    Flashable Cyan (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
    Flashable Cyan (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

Gingerbread HC Boot Animation Preview:
    124vmme.gif

Gingerbread Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
    Flashable Gingerbread (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
    Flashable Gingerbread (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

HoneyIce White HC Boot Animation Preview:
    28i48bk.jpg

White Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
    Flashable White (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
    Flashable White (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

PinkAction HC Boot Animation Preview:
    14njsw3.jpg

Pink Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
    Flashable Pink (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
    Flashable Pink (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

RedAction HC Boot Animation Preview:
    v7wv9.gif

Red Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
    Flashable Red (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
    Flashable Red (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

NewBlue HC Boot Animation Preview:
    2wf0kfd.gif

Blue Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
    Flashable Blue (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
    Flashable Blue (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

YellowYellow HC Boot Animation Preview:
    2hqf59w.gif

Yellow Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
    Flashable Yellow (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
    Flashable Yellow (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.

Google Themed HC Boot Animation Preview:
    30dfnso.jpg

Google Themed Boot Animation =Must push or manually move to correct location.
    Flashable Google Themed (Resource Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/customize/resource
    Flashable Google Themed (Media Folder) =Flashable zip for roms that stores the bootanimation in system/media.
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy boot animation (updated 04/10)

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy boot animation made by request

152ktbo.gif

Here ya go

Original bootanimation.zip from the XOOM WIFI
    funny, resolution is like 1408 x 800 according to this... maybe they over-stretched it to compensate for something... the original boot anim is kinda lame quality on the xoom!

The picture quality is identical, the bootanimation used must have been originally that size, the images even from your xoom are only 512 x 256. ( So I'm assuming it has to stretch even on the Evo, so it must really stretch on the zoom.) I've messed around with one and even rebooted it to see the animation in the store, lol, but I guess I didn't examine it real close. Here is your boot screen revised with the google colors however, in the proper landscape format,(Evo's are rotated for portrait mode) and the stock resolution settings. Try that and see if it looks better/same.

Edit: Just make sure you rename it bootanimation.zip again before you swap itout again.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone