Booting N5 after getting wet

Search This thread

LorD ClockaN

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2008
Veli Losinj
www.losinj.com
Hi!!

I drowned my N5 last week and managed to revive it after 4 days in rice + hair dryer + oven and it worked perfectly fine for 2, 3 days and I reflashed it 15 times in between for testing my rom.. and yeterday I went to recovery and it couldn't boot recovery..

Bootloader works fine and from there I can't go anywhere, it always bootloops on Google letters... also it powers ON whenever I plug in charging cable or if it's connected and I select Power Off in bootloader, it always boots up to google letters until I unplug it..

So I went and flashed factory images with the flash_all.sh script that came with the package and there was absolutly NO errors while flashing, it flashed perfectly fine, bootloader, recovery, radio, system etc...

But the problem remains..

Any ideas are welcome before I drain it completely :D

I'm suspecting on battery or charging controller

Last edited:

Triversity

Dec 24, 2010
There still could be some moisture inside that moved due to a movement of the phone.
I´d suggest putting it in rice once again or even opening it and then putting it in rice. I mean your warranty is gone anyways :D

But maybe there is someone with better advice, luckily I never had such a problem.

LorD ClockaN

Sep 1, 2008
Veli Losinj
www.losinj.com
There still could be some moisture inside that moved due to a movement of the phone.
I´d suggest putting it in rice once again or even opening it and then putting it in rice. I mean your warranty is gone anyways :D

But maybe there is someone with better advice, luckily I never had such a problem.

I left it in rice after it didn't booted but probably too short.. I might put it in oven again :D

Triversity

Dec 24, 2010
Yes don´t put it in the oven.
And don´t use a hairdryer, chance are that you are pressing the water even further in small gaps.

theesotericone

Sep 22, 2013
Sounds like it's done for. Since you already not gonna be covered by warranty because of the water damage. I'd do what another poster suggessted and take it apart then soak it in rice in an airtight container for at least another 48 hours. I doubt it'll help since the phone already been booted but it's worth a shot. As far as the oven thing goes good luck. lol If you look online you will find some that have succesfully used an oven to reflow a logig board but they are in the tiniest of minorities I assure you.

LorD ClockaN

Sep 1, 2008
Veli Losinj
www.losinj.com
it's already in rice..

water turns into vapor and that way easier exits the device also

hairdryer would push the water further, but also evaporate it. all this is a 2 blade sword

I'm getting a new one tomorrow or in 2 days, but still wanted to get this one working. will leave it in rice for a couple of days more

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
water turns into vapor
Yes

that way easier exits the device

No. Every surface it hits becomes wet.

hairdryer would push the water further

Yes.

also evaporate it

Yes. Which is a BAD thing. Evaporated water doesn't disappear! It is in the air and every surface it hits becomes wet.

Cone on man. This is basic pre-high school science

all this is a 2 blade sword

No. 1 blade. The wet blade

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

swhackeristahsan

Jul 16, 2013
karachi
www.blogspot.com
I admire the physics and chemistry going on in this thread (y)

Taking it apart and then drying it in the rice might work,if it doesnt then you probably have a problem in the firmware, try going back to stock if its possible
Sent from my GT-S5282 using xda app-developers app

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
but phone isn't hermetically sealed..

Whats that got to do with anything?

Ok here is a test for you....

In your non-hermetically sealed kitchen, boil the kettle. When you see the steam coming out of the spout, put your hand over the steam, about an inch above the spout*

If you're right, the steam will change direction and travel around your hand magically.

If I'm right, once your hand has recovered from the scalding, you'll notice your hand is wet.

*DONT put your hand above the spout of a boiling kettle. I AM right. You WILL hurt yourself. Your hand will be wet in the same way the components in your phone would become wet if you put steam inside it

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
I admire the physics and chemistry going on in this thread (y)

Taking it apart and then drying it in the rice might work,if it doesnt then you probably have a problem in the firmware, try going back to stock if its possible

Warranty is gone when the moisture indicators are colored anyway, so stock or not doesn`t matter in this case.

LorD ClockaN

Sep 1, 2008
Veli Losinj
www.losinj.com
Whats that got to do with anything?

Ok here is a test for you....

In your non-hermetically sealed kitchen, boil the kettle. When you see the steam coming out of the spout, put your hand over the steam, about an inch above the spout*

If you're right, the steam will change direction and travel around your hand magically.

If I'm right, once your hand has recovered from the scalding, you'll notice your hand is wet.

*DONT put your hand above the spout of a boiling kettle. I AM right. You WILL hurt yourself. Your hand will be wet in the same way the components in your phone would become wet if you put steam inside it

I get that, I'm not 10y old, but I still think that IF there is little moisture left, while it evaporates I don't think it can make more damage and turn into a wet sword :D

I do think this thread went the wrong way..
@swhackeristahsan: I already did that as I said in the op

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
I get that, I'm not 10y old

Ha ha. Ok.

but I still think that IF there is little moisture left, while it evaporates I don't think it can make more damage

Unfortunately you'd be wrong there. Steam hits every surface it passes on the way out. Water is very corrosive. Even if there is only 1 water droplet in your phone, that becomes a lot of steam and damages everything it touches.

There's one fix and one fix only and its not heat

Reactions: LorD ClockaN

swhackeristahsan

Jul 16, 2013
karachi
www.blogspot.com
I get that, I'm not 10y old, but I still think that IF there is little moisture left, while it evaporates I don't think it can make more damage and turn into a wet sword :D

I do think this thread went the wrong way..

@swhackeristahsan: I already did that as I said in the op

Hahaha we have some pretty genius people up here on xda :D

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
I'm surprised nobody mentioned disconnecting the battery and soaking the phone in 99% isopropyl alcohol. That's the most effective way to save a drowned phone.

Even at this point, opening it up and soaking it in alcohol and scrubbing the internals with a soft bristled tooth brush can help get rid of some of the corrosion that might have occurred from the water. If you want to salvage it, this is the way to go. Just stop trying to power it on before you do this, it is likely you are causing more damage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I get that, I'm not 10y old

Ha ha. Ok.

but I still think that IF there is little moisture left, while it evaporates I don't think it can make more damage

Unfortunately you'd be wrong there. Steam hits every surface it passes on the way out. Water is very corrosive. Even if there is only 1 water droplet in your phone, that becomes a lot of steam and damages everything it touches.

There's one fix and one fix only and its not heat

ok, won't be heating it ever again :D
    Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until edges turn golden brown.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone