• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General Booting OS from sd card

Search This thread
Dec 30, 2019
www.youtube.com
Hey guys, just putting this out there.
Valve said that you can install any OS you want on this including windows which is better for game support. Proton is great and all but doesnt have 100% coverage.

So what this means is it probably has an accessible BIOS (maybe even cpu undervolting possible) and should let you boot from sd card. This would be great for keeping steam os on the main storage just to see how it goes and for emulators. And then any game that doesnt run properly under proton you can quickly plug in an sd card with bootable windows and play those games there.

What do you guys think if this is possible would you do it? or what other os would you install?

elchmartin

Oct 17, 2014
Duesseldorf
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
As seen on many SBCs (i.e. RPi, odroid...), sd-card booting is rather slow.
You Do not want that for a Windows-Installation.

My guess is that they wanted to make thing as cheap as possible. A Windows 10 license adds somewhat $50-$100 to the pricetag. Plus they would have to certify the steamdeck for Windows.... Also adds costs, time and maybe IT is not possible at all.

I'd rather go with swapping PCIe-SSDs. Although that might void the warranty.

Last edited:

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
The Capital above the Lower one...
Ssd... usb... same ole...

My ole elite book 820 1st version, is a corporate laptop, more open than oems, I5 is rapid, 256 pcie used for (broken)wan, wiped giving me a 250 c drive, sata filled with 250gig of fruity midi and softsynths, when hooked up to my studio, best sounds where i live lol, no lag, latency pretty much zero, using win 7 x64 ultimate

Same speeds, usb3 speed, that's how I see it, or usb 2 most likely for most...

That's your actual hardware speed...

chip performance re: running an os, my ssd is faster than the old ones with moving part's... ssd loses files, the old ones we could find easier... with rstudio etc..

Think about it... your ssd is using usb (most likely 3) to transfer through the usb bus...

And if memory serves me correctly, ssd's can only handle on average 200,000,000 read write's, now what does all this mountin partitions do?

Wear the heck out of those rw :)

ssd all the way.... the frequencies are the key to speed :)

Reactions: jekyleee994

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My ole elite book 820 1st version, is a corporate laptop, more open than oems, I5 is rapid, 256 pcie used for (broken)wan, wiped giving me a 250 c drive, sata filled with 250gig of fruity midi and softsynths, when hooked up to my studio, best sounds where i live lol, no lag, latency pretty much zero, using win 7 x64 ultimate

chip performance re: running an os, my ssd is faster than the old ones with moving part's... ssd loses files, the old ones we could find easier... with rstudio etc..

Think about it... your ssd is using usb (most likely 3) to transfer through the usb bus...

And if memory serves me correctly, ssd's can only handle on average 200,000,000 read write's, now what does all this mountin partitions do?