• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

booting to black screen with Mar 2020 update and Magisk stable/beta

Search This thread

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL
any suggestions on how to fix this? updated to the Mar 2020, extracted the boot image, patched in Magisk, flashed, and rebooted like I have done with the previous updates, however once the device is booted up all I get is a black screen! device is still responsive as pressing the power button brings up a menu allowing me to shutdown or reset. flashing a non-modded boot allows me to use the device normally again. help!

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
any suggestions on how to fix this? updated to the Mar 2020, extracted the boot image, patched in Magisk, flashed, and rebooted like I have done with the previous updates, however once the device is booted up all I get is a black screen! device is still responsive as pressing the power button brings up a menu allowing me to shutdown or reset. flashing a non-modded boot allows me to use the device normally again. help!

Did you remove all modules prior to rooting March update?

Reactions: dimm0k

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
Last edited:
Reactions: belair56 and dimm0k

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
woohoo! this worked... now I need to figure out which module is fscking me... while you were making this, I followed the steps in your thread to attempt to create a boot image with core only, but mine didn't work. any idea why? regardless, thank you!!

Did you put the whole folder from the zip file?

ramdisk/overlay.d

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL
Did you put the whole folder from the zip file?

ramdisk/overlay.d

hah! I'm in idiot running around with my head cut off. I just checked, I dumped that folder into the root and not into ramdisk! anyway, turns out the culprit of my issue was your mod to increase the notifications to 7! hopefully you can make an updated mod for this update when you get some time

EVR_PR

Jun 27, 2015
San Juan
Google Pixel 5

I was able to update and root, but latest Magisk stable is showing ctsprofile as false. Any ideas on how to fix this?

gettinwicked

Aug 8, 2013
St Louis
So, I can't get Magisk to patch the boot image. It crashes every time I click let's go. I was on canary, went to the stable channel, rebooted, pushed the boot file over a few times, still nothing. Any ideas?

Weiii

Mar 2, 2020
woohoo! this worked... now I need to figure out which module is fscking me... while you were making this, I followed the steps in your thread to attempt to create a boot image with core only, but mine didn't work. any idea why? regardless, thank you!!

Did you figure out which module? I have the same problem.

arh2o

Jun 10, 2011
ROOT CITY
I was able to update and root, but latest Magisk stable is showing ctsprofile as false. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Same issue, here's what I'm seeing with the ctsprofile. Magisk might need to be updated to support this feature drop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200302-170223.png
    Screenshot_20200302-170223.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 287

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
hah! I'm in idiot running around with my head cut off. I just checked, I dumped that folder into the root and not into ramdisk! anyway, turns out the culprit of my issue was your mod to increase the notifications to 7! hopefully you can make an updated mod for this update when you get some time

I had some stuff running. Here you go.

Attachments

• MoreNotations.zip
    11.5 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: belair56 and dimm0k

EVR_PR

Jun 27, 2015
San Juan
Google Pixel 5
I had some stuff running. Here you go.

Hey Tulsadiver, does your MagiskManager pass CTSProfile or are you using a module to fix the issue of it failing?

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Same issue, here's what I'm seeing with the ctsprofile. Magisk might need to be updated to support this feature drop.

I dont have the preserve dm-verity option on nor did I have it on when I patched the boot image. Seems like that doesn't make a difference either?

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
Hey Tulsadiver, does your MagiskManager pass CTSProfile or are you using a module to fix the issue of it failing?

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

I dont have the preserve dm-verity option on nor did I have it on when I patched the boot image. Seems like that doesn't make a difference either?

Mine shows it as passing. I'm using beta channel.
Screenshot_20200302-164230.png

CBMC

Apr 12, 2009
for me it was the module provided by Tulsadiver to increase the notifications to 7... I'm guessing any modules that makes changes to system files might likely be the culprit. list your modules, but all I can do is take a guess as to which one it would be
For me it was smali patcher, i think. Not 100% sure because I booted from Tulsadrivers once I got stuck at the Google logo, this took me into safe mode inside of magisk. Every time I would reboot (after deleting the magisk cache file) with smali patcher enabled it would get stuck. After I disabled magisk safe mode I re-installed smali patcher(re-creating the zip on my desktop). After that everything booted fine and passed all safetynet checks.

1dopewrx05

Is it the MagiskHide Props Config module the one you're talking about?
No, not magisk props config. I linked the module he was referring to. Make sure during installation you hit the volume up key when it prompts you to at the end because you need to let it clear the gpay data.

Attachments

• GPay.SQLite.Fix.v2.0.zip
    223.3 KB · Views: 9

EVR_PR

Jun 27, 2015
San Juan
Google Pixel 5
No, not magisk props config. I linked the module he was referring to. Make sure during installation you hit the volume up key when it prompts you to at the end because you need to let it clear the gpay data.

I went ahead and installed the Magisk Props config module before I read your message and that fixed the problem. Apparently Google forgot to certify this specific build for ATT (the one ending 004.A1). Thank you for your help though.

Top Liked Posts