Search This thread

blastagator

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 27, 2012
Fern Park, FL
Easily Switch Between JB/KK/LP Bootloader
!! d800 ONLY !!
Make sure you flash the right model!

With the advent of BUMP, we can now use the KK bootloader. A lot of projects preserved the old JB bootloader, since that was needed due to loki. This is the easy way to update your JB bootloader to the new KK bootloader.

Inspired by @dorimanx who did this for the d802. I followed suit and made this for the d800.

What this is:
As it simply says, it upgrades (or downgrades) the bootloader. This includes several other small partitions, in addition to aboot and sbl1.

Sources:
10d & 20c - Extracted from TOT file
20y & 30f - I started with 20d, then did FOTA to 20y and extracted the partitions. Then I did FOTA to 30f and again extracted the partitions.

What this is NOT:
This does not touch your boot, recovery, or modem/radio partitions. You must make sure those are compatible BEFORE flashing this.

WARNING: You can easily brick your phone if you mess this up! This is for d800 ONLY!!! Also, you must have BUMPed boot and recovery images already on your phone to use KK bootloader or you will get fastboot error (or it just won't boot). JB supports BUMP images and LOKI images. KK only supports BUMP.

Lollipop Information:
Special LOLLIPOP WARNING: At this time, the Lollipop BL is not exploitable. Therefore, if you flash Stock LP BL, you will probably brick, or at a minimum, you will lose access to recovery.
To use a BUMPED lollipop ROM, you should install the Lollipop Bump bootstack on my site. It is all of the 30f Lollipop partitions, with a 20y aboot (so bump will work).

Download:
Did you read the warning above? If not, DO NOT DOWNLOAD.
Did you read it twice? If not, DO NOT DOWNLOAD.
Do you understand everything it says? If not, DO NOT DOWNLOAD.
Do you know how to recover if you mess your phone up? If not, DO NOT DOWNLOAD.

I do not want any posts saying "HALP I MESSED THIS UP."

Which bootloader am I currently on?
The only sure way to know is to flash one, or know which one you flashed last.
You can get an idea of your bl when you use the button combo to enter recovery (VolDwn+Pwr, release and repress when LG logo comes up, hold until menu comes up) the screen looks different. On JB the phone asks you to repeatedly press power for factory reset. On KK the phone has you use the volume rocker to pick different menu options.

Download:
https://www.gregtwallace.com/lg-g2/d800_d801-bootloaders/

Again, thanks to @dorimanx.

Shameless plug for donations: :)
Venmo Preferred (No Fee)

Zelle, send to greg@gregtwallace.com

Backup (Charges Fee)
Paypal

Last edited:

blastagator

Dec 27, 2012
Fern Park, FL
Update 2015.07.29
-Version 1.1 does NOT flash misc partition.
+Misc contains things like MAC addresses and doesn't need to be flashed.

Update 2015.05.12
I have added the 20y KK bootloader, which appears to be different than the originally posted 20c. Both are now posted.

Additionally, I added the LP 30f bootloader. WARNING: This bootloader is not (yet?) exploitable! Flashing it will likely brick your device, or at the very least it will break your recovery. You have been warned!

Last edited:

raulx222

Nov 20, 2012
Cluj-Napoca
raulpetru.com
Cool thing! And nice work! I was just looking around to learn more stuff about bootloaders :D..did dorimanx made a thread for d802?
Your awesome version of TWRP is bumped, dorimanxs kernel is bumped too :D thats all i need to switch on kk bootloader

Last edited:

blastagator

Dec 27, 2012
Fern Park, FL
Cool thing! And nice work! I was just looking around to learn more stuff about bootloaders :D..did dorimanx made a thread for d802?
Your awesome version of TWRP is bumped, dorimanxs kernel is bumped too :D thats all i need to switch on kk bootloader

No he didn't, but he posted the d802 version under his kernel thread, which is linked in my signature.

Reactions: gorm

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
Great initiative, @blastagator!

Now... On to the actual bootloader... stuff.

EDIT : Nevermind. Just noticed that this is for the D800 only... and I have a D802, lol.

Last edited:

Voltaine

Mar 17, 2013
Great initiative, @blastagator!

Now... On to the actual bootloader... stuff.

EDIT : Nevermind. Just noticed that this is for the D800 only... and I have a D802, lol.
As stated in the OP, dorimanx made exactly the same zip for the d802 to update the bootloader and the other necessary partitions.
You'll just need a bumped recovery + bumped kernel.

Just in case you would like to upgrade to KK bootloader ;)
I'm just waiting for render to release bumped R26 and the first thing I'll do is update the bootloader :D

idoluvizsick

Apr 28, 2012
Could someone please be kind enough to make one for vs980? I tried making one myself by picking the same exact files off of vs980 kdz but it didn't work.

blastagator

Dec 27, 2012
Fern Park, FL
Reactions: Formhault

countryfolk07

Noticing this says bumped boot and recovery required in the op. Was wondering even if I'm on stock everything, boot included, do I still need to be bumped. I would say yes on the recovery due to the nature of how autorec worked. But what about boot, since it is bone stock? Thanks for the info. Thanks for your work on this phone.

buffal0b1ll

Sep 5, 2012
Baltimore
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 2 XL
Yikes I tried this with 12/5 AICP 5.0 drgravy d800, Render5, and blastagators bumped TWRP 2.8.2.0.
Installed the KK-20C bootloader, the device spent a long time on on the LG logo with a few vibrates, then it blackscreened. While blackscreened plugging into PC started charging and gave me access to Internal Storage. Tried a power off and back on again with same result.
Luckily, manually going into TWRP and flashing the JB-10D bootloader got things back to normal.

EDIT: Just dawned on me that I had the dr87 Working Rotation JB Baseband installed. Perhaps I should have tried with the KK Baseband?

Last edited:

sr20ryda

Feb 4, 2010
Yikes I tried this with 12/5 AICP 5.0 drgravy d800, Render5, and blastagators bumped TWRP 2.8.2.0.
Installed the KK-20C bootloader, the device spent a long time on on the LG logo with a few vibrates, then it blackscreened. While blackscreened plugging into PC started charging and gave me access to Internal Storage. Tried a power off and back on again with same result.
Luckily, manually going into TWRP and flashing the JB-10D bootloader got things back to normal.

EDIT: Just dawned on me that I had the dr87 Working Rotation JB Baseband installed. Perhaps I should have tried with the KK Baseband?

I don't think it works with JB based kernels.

bamonkey

Jan 21, 2010
OK
It works only with dorimanx on stock based rom, no cm aosp aicp et

_____________________________Write less read more and be smart

After reading ALOT of info heres where i am. I think our good guy render is trying to get his kernel working bumped for KK bootloader and lollipop builds.. heres where i got sad.

It seems recently there is ALOT of dev arguements on the nature of opensource bump so much so that the the orginators have actually closed down and stopped development on the project. lets not go any further with that disucssion, there are other threads for that if you care to read. :p

So basically i dont have a build environment right now to try to bump any kernels using the instructions and I'm not sure what to think right now considering what i HAVE read. I actually stay away from posting alot of things on XDA that i do on my own, because of this very nature i have seen pop up to many times to count. So to summerize:

Dont have a build environment where i am right now to try...even when i get home im not sure how i will feel since i do respect the codefire guys but understand why someone would have done what they did. If i am successful getting someone elses work say renders kernel, to finally boot ill let him know but im sure render will figure it before i even do that :highfive:

Reactions: 6ril1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Easily Switch Between JB/KK/LP Bootloader
    !! d800 ONLY !!
    Make sure you flash the right model!

With the advent of BUMP, we can now use the KK bootloader. A lot of projects preserved the old JB bootloader, since that was needed due to loki. This is the easy way to update your JB bootloader to the new KK bootloader.

Inspired by @dorimanx who did this for the d802. I followed suit and made this for the d800.

What this is:
    As it simply says, it upgrades (or downgrades) the bootloader. This includes several other small partitions, in addition to aboot and sbl1.

Sources:
    10d & 20c - Extracted from TOT file
    20y & 30f - I started with 20d, then did FOTA to 20y and extracted the partitions. Then I did FOTA to 30f and again extracted the partitions.

What this is NOT:
    This does not touch your boot, recovery, or modem/radio partitions. You must make sure those are compatible BEFORE flashing this.

WARNING: You can easily brick your phone if you mess this up! This is for d800 ONLY!!! Also, you must have BUMPed boot and recovery images already on your phone to use KK bootloader or you will get fastboot error (or it just won't boot). JB supports BUMP images and LOKI images. KK only supports BUMP.

Lollipop Information:
    Special LOLLIPOP WARNING: At this time, the Lollipop BL is not exploitable. Therefore, if you flash Stock LP BL, you will probably brick, or at a minimum, you will lose access to recovery.
    To use a BUMPED lollipop ROM, you should install the Lollipop Bump bootstack on my site. It is all of the 30f Lollipop partitions, with a 20y aboot (so bump will work).

Download:
    Did you read the warning above? If not, DO NOT DOWNLOAD.
    Did you read it twice? If not, DO NOT DOWNLOAD.
    Do you understand everything it says? If not, DO NOT DOWNLOAD.
    Do you know how to recover if you mess your phone up? If not, DO NOT DOWNLOAD.

I do not want any posts saying "HALP I MESSED THIS UP."

Which bootloader am I currently on?
    The only sure way to know is to flash one, or know which one you flashed last.
    You can get an idea of your bl when you use the button combo to enter recovery (VolDwn+Pwr, release and repress when LG logo comes up, hold until menu comes up) the screen looks different. On JB the phone asks you to repeatedly press power for factory reset. On KK the phone has you use the volume rocker to pick different menu options.

Download:
    https://www.gregtwallace.com/lg-g2/d800_d801-bootloaders/

Again, thanks to @dorimanx.

Shameless plug for donations: :)
    Venmo Preferred (No Fee)

Zelle, send to greg@gregtwallace.com

Backup (Charges Fee)
    Paypal
    Update 2015.07.29
    -Version 1.1 does NOT flash misc partition.
    +Misc contains things like MAC addresses and doesn't need to be flashed.

Update 2015.05.12
    I have added the 20y KK bootloader, which appears to be different than the originally posted 20c. Both are now posted.

Additionally, I added the LP 30f bootloader. WARNING: This bootloader is not (yet?) exploitable! Flashing it will likely brick your device, or at the very least it will break your recovery. You have been warned!
    It looks good but i have couple of questions. I recently flashed back to d80020c tot, took ota to d80020y and rooted using stump, all is well, my questions.

1. As iam already rooted and have root explorer, can i simply copy paste recovery.img to sdcc.1/by-name and a set permissions?
    2. If i am already on kk then what is the need for this bootloader to be flashed again?

Just trying to understand the processes.. Thank you

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Free mobile app

Yes you can use root explorer but you also need other things, so dont copy recovery.img with root explorer
    If you want to flash a custom recovery, use AutoRec!!! because you can't just copy the recovery.img.. you also need to flash the JB bootloader and a patched kernel to can boot again in your stock rom...all this things are done automatically by AutoRec! so using AutoRec its the easiest method :D
    And don't use KK bootloader if you dont know what you are doing... you can use all ROMs on JB bootloader, so keep using the JB bootloader :D

EDIT:
    To better understand how things works:
    1) Our bootloader is locked. But we can use 2 methods to bypass the bootloader: loki and BUMP (those 2 methods are a little different, but im not going to talk about them righ now..its not very important)
    2) Loki method works only on JB bootloader, BUMP works on JB and KK
    3) Almost all kernels works only on JB bootloader(because they use loki patch). So if you want to flash other ROMs you need to have JB bootoader. And about recovery for example the blastagator's recovery its BUMPed and it will work on JB and KK bootloader
    NOTE: If a kernel its BUMPed this not means that it is compatible on both bootloaders(jb/kk) for example the Render's LP kernel its designed only for JB bootloader!.. but the Dorimanx kernel will work on both bootloaders
    4) from 3 and 4 you can understand that: all things(kernels, custom recovery menus) works on JB bootloader and just some of them works on KK bootloader.. so JB bootloader is essential if you want to flash other ROMs that are not based on stock firmware

So yeah..you can copy the blastagator's BUMPed TWRP with root explorer and it will work!..but you dont have the JB bootloader so if you want to flash another ROM you will brick your device!(because all ROMs uses loki patch..but loki works only on JB bootloader and if you have KK bootloader then you will brick your device)
    If you want to stay only on stock, then you can just copy the blastagator's BUMPed TWRP :D..
    Reserved2

Reserved2
    If you want to add it to op ls980 kk bootloader (zve)