• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide Bootloader Unlock devices bought directly from USA OnePlus Store

Search This thread

daboross

I saw the other thread on unlocking the T-Mobile variant, so I thought I'd document my experience unlocking the version bought directly from the OnePlus store.

Warnings​

This guide applies exclusively to OnePlus Nord N200 5G phones bought from the USA OnePlus online store.

It may work for other carrier-unlocked Nord N200 5G phones. However, I haven't tested them.

As always, this voids your warranty.

Your warranty is now void.

I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any concerns about this process before following it. YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will not help you.

In addition, this adds an unremovable warning screen from the bootup process. After unlocking your device, the device will show a warning screen on every bootup for 5 seconds. It will read as follows:

The boot loader is unlocked and software integrity cannot be guaranteed. Any data stored on the device may be available to attackers. Do not store any sensitive data on the device.

Visit this link on another device:
g.co/ABH

PRESS POWER KEY TO PAUSE BOOT

As a last note, if successful, this will wipe your device. Backup all data you care about.

Prerequisites​

1. A OnePlus Nord N200 5G bought from the USA OnePlus store, running OxygenOS 11.

2. A computer with the `fastboot` android platform tool set up and working.

You can download a package containing fastboot from https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.

3. A usb-C cable to plug the phone into the computer.

Steps​

1. Enable developer settings.

Go to Settings -> About phone. Tap "Build number" 5 times until it brings up a prompt to enter your device password. Enter it.

On success, it will bring up a note saying "You are now a developer!"

2. Enable OEM Unlocking

Go to Settings -> System -> Developer Options. Tap "OEM Unlocking" and follow prompts.

3. Reboot into fastboot

Long-press the power button, then select "Restart". As the phone is restarting, hold down the volume down and volume up buttons.

The phone should now be showing a text interface. You can select different options with the volume buttons, and use the power button to select.

3. Unlock using fastboot

Connect the phone to the computer.

In a command prompt on the computer, use the following fastboot command:

Bash:
fastboot devices

Verify that your device is connected, and the serial code matches the "SERIAL NUMBER" shown on the screen of the phone. For instance, my device shows as:

Code:
$ fastboot devices
SERIAL_NUMBER_REDACTED    fastboot

And on my phone screen, it shows "SERIAL NUMBER - SERIAL_NUMBER_REDACTED".

Once you've verified this, use the following command to unlock the device:

Reminder: THIS COMMAND WIPES YOUR DATA. All data on the phone will be erased by this.

Bash:
fastboot oem unlock

If successful, the computer will output this:

Code:
$ fastboot oem unlock
OKAY [  0.042s]
Finished. Total time: 0.042s

On the phone, you will see a prompt for unlocking the device. Read it, and follow the instructions. Use the volume up/down buttons as up/down arrow keys, and the power button as "OK" or "Enter".

After you've confirmed you want to unlock the device, your phone will reboot several times, and erase all data. Once it's done, you'll be rebooted into the operating system.

4. Confirm the unlock worked

To confirm the unlock worked, reboot into fastboot mode again.

On the screen, the bottom row should now read "DEVICE STATE - unlocked".

Congrats! You've unlocked your device. Once someone builds a custom recovery or ROM, you'll be able to use fastboot to flash it to your device.

Last edited:

daboross

So does this mean you can now pull the files someone would need to start on a custom recovery and/or a custom rom or at least majisk?
Unfortunately, this doesn't let you pull any files from the device. All it does is allow you to flash a custom recovery, ROM, or boot.img once someone develops one.

With that said, I have started researching steps for porting TWRP to the device.

Edit: since this is the only place I've mentioned it, might as well give an update. I'm giving up on porting TWRP for now - I think we really will need binary blobs, or a lot more hacking on things and finding a similar device. And given that our device is the first wave of devices with the sm4350 platform.... I think our best bet is OnePlus releasing binary blobs.

I've taken notes on everything I've been trying at https://github.com/daboross/android_device_oneplus_holi_notes, if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

edale1

Sep 5, 2016
2 alternate ways to get into fastboot mode:

ADB:
The command
'adb reboot bootloader'
will restart the device in fastboot mode.

Advanced Reboot:
In the developer options, turn on 'Advanced Reboot'.
Hold the power button for a few seconds to bring up the power off/restart dialog.
At the top right corner will be 3 dots, tap them, select 'bootloader' from the resulting dialog.
The phone will reboot into fastboot mode.

Reactions: daboross

daboross

Man that stinks. I was hoping we could have at least gotten the files needed for majisk.
I'm thinking it'll be a chain reaction as soon as we have *anything*.

Like, if we get magisk, we'll quickly be able to then pull the stock ROM and recovery and use those to build TWRP.

Or if someone can build TWRP, we can use that to pull boot.img and get magisk working, and pull the stock ROM and get a custom ROM built.

Or if someone can port a custom rom (though I imagine this is harder than the above two - probably impossible without binary blobs?) - we can include root in it, then use that to grab boot.img and the recovery image.

As soon as we get *any* control which gives us root access or otherwise unimpeded access, we should be able to do everything.

areallydumbperson

Jun 1, 2021
Sony Xperia L1
I'm thinking it'll be a chain reaction as soon as we have *anything*.

Like, if we get magisk, we'll quickly be able to then pull the stock ROM and recovery and use those to build TWRP.

Or if someone can build TWRP, we can use that to pull boot.img and get magisk working, and pull the stock ROM and get a custom ROM built.

Or if someone can port a custom rom (though I imagine this is harder than the above two - probably impossible without binary blobs?) - we can include root in it, then use that to grab boot.img and the recovery image.

As soon as we get *any* control which gives us root access or otherwise unimpeded access, we should be able to do everything.
i dont specialize in oneplus phones but maybe you could somehow get the stock rom and extract the boot.img file to then patch with magisk or the recovery.img whatever it is

areallydumbperson

Jun 1, 2021
Sony Xperia L1
The hard part is "somehow get the stock rom".

As soon as we can get that, everything else will indeed be possible.
maybe try to intercept an update package download

ota updates usually have all the partitions it need like boot.img

daboross

maybe try to intercept an update package download
I think the thread has been deleted now, but someone did do that for the Metro variant. I believe there was also a grab for the T-Mobile variant.

Unfortunately, both of those OTA updates were partial updates, and are useless without an original ROM image. I've also been watching for an update to my OnePlus non-carrier-variant, but no updates have been pushed at all.

I think it's not a bad idea. Just unfortunately all the updates so far have been partial, and since a new version of android is a ways away, I think they will continue to be partial updates, still useless.

googlephoneFKLenAsh

Jul 31, 2017
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Is the N200 directly bought from oneplus dual sim?

It seems like the device has the space/pins for second sim but disables dual sim via software.
Check on youtube for "N200 teardown" and the motherboard likely has space/pins for second sim.

BTW: does the unlocked version of N200 have FM radio? Can you install app "NextRadio" and see if it works?
GSMArena lists the N200 as dual sim with FM radio.

Last edited:

daboross

Is the N200 directly bought from oneplus dual sim?

It seems like the device has the space/pins for second sim but disables dual sim via software.
Check on youtube for "N200 teardown" and the motherboard likely has space/pins for second sim.

BTW: does the unlocked version of N200 have FM radio? Can you install app "NextRadio" and see if it works?
GSMArena lists the N200 as dual sim with FM radio.
I'm not sure if it's dual sim or not, but it doesn't look designed to be. There's only one IMEI listed in settings, and while the SIM tray is long enough for two different SIM cards, the second one is filled in with plastic and you'd have to modify it to put a SIM card there.

Here's a picture of the front and back of the SIM tray:

OnePlus Nord N200 5G USA Variant SIM Card Pictures.jpg

The nextradio app does not work.

googlephoneFKLenAsh

Jul 31, 2017
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
I'm not sure if it's dual sim or not, but it doesn't look designed to be. There's only one IMEI listed in settings, and while the SIM tray is long enough for two different SIM cards, the second one is filled in with plastic and you'd have to modify it to put a SIM card there.

View attachment 5376771

The motherboard may have pins for second sim card.
Maybe like the t-mobile version of oneplus 6T, we just need to replace the sim card tray and flash compatible firmware to enable dual sim function.
Even with one IMEI, both sim cards can still work simultaneously like the T-Mobile oneplus 6T. People have reported two sims work on t-mobile simultaneously or on two different carriers on t-mobile oneplus 6T with one imei.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210801-023140~2.png
    Screenshot_20210801-023140~2.png
    427 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: daboross

Fishwithadeagle

Aug 26, 2012

View attachment 5376771

I'm surprised the radio app doesn't work. There is a default package installed with a radio app, and the original phone (A91?) comes with an fm radio.

Fishwithadeagle

Aug 26, 2012
Can someone explain if they really switched the camera modules? I can't find any info on what the specific camera module is, plus the a54 (oppo) has a 48 mp camera versus the 13 mp in the n200. It seems like they really wouldn't switch the cameras on a phone so similiar, but who am I?

daboross

Im surprised the radio app doesn't work. There is a default package installed with a radio app, and the original phone (A91?) comes with an fm radio.
What is the default package? I can't find any on my device that looks like it'd be a radio app.

Here's a screenshot of NextRadio. To be clear, I have done no debugging to see if I could get it to work. I just installed it via the play store and opened it.

Screenshot_20210804-092917.jpg

Can someone explain if they really switched the camera modules? I can't find any info on what the specific camera module is, plus the a54 (oppo) has a 48 mp camera versus the 13 mp in the n200. It seems like they really wouldn't switch the cameras on a phone so similiar, but who am I?
I'm not against discussing this here, but I think you may have more luck with a new Question thread specifically for this question. I'm not an expert on phone hardware.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Man that stinks. I was hoping we could have at least gotten the files needed for majisk.
    2 alternate ways to get into fastboot mode:

ADB:
    The command
    'adb reboot bootloader'
    will restart the device in fastboot mode.

Advanced Reboot:
    In the developer options, turn on 'Advanced Reboot'.
    Hold the power button for a few seconds to bring up the power off/restart dialog.
    At the top right corner will be 3 dots, tap them, select 'bootloader' from the resulting dialog.
    The phone will reboot into fastboot mode.

View attachment 5376771

The motherboard may have pins for second sim card.
    Maybe like the t-mobile version of oneplus 6T, we just need to replace the sim card tray and flash compatible firmware to enable dual sim function.
    Even with one IMEI, both sim cards can still work simultaneously like the T-Mobile oneplus 6T. People have reported two sims work on t-mobile simultaneously or on two different carriers on t-mobile oneplus 6T with one imei.