Bootloader Unlock Guide

Search This thread

Tool Belt

Feb 5, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Just ran this an hour after opening the box on my 8.4. Bootloader code on first attempt. MultiTool would not play nice........" the remote server returned an error (403) forbidden". After granting and removing adb access to the computer several times and toggling dev options and usb debugging a few times I was able to connect with adb and fastboot and unlocked via fastboot. Done!

Thanks to all and the OP.

dahawthorne

Nov 15, 2014
Brighton
...I was able to connect with adb and fastboot and unlocked via fastboot.
I've come across this thread after considering buying a UK M5. I prefer rooted devices because I want the option to install newer ROMs as the device ages, but I was disappointed by the initial post (no disrespect intended) which mentions a lot of steps (not a problem), payment and an online service to unlock. However, your post implies that you did it with Fastboot, which I've used on every Nexus device I've ever had.
Is this right? "Fastboot oem unlock" works without the need of the steps in the OP?

Tool Belt

Feb 5, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I've come across this thread after considering buying a UK M5. I prefer rooted devices because I want the option to install newer ROMs as the device ages, but I was disappointed by the initial post (no disrespect intended) which mentions a lot of steps (not a problem), payment and an online service to unlock. However, your post implies that you did it with Fastboot, which I've used on every Nexus device I've ever had.
Is this right? "Fastboot oem unlock" works without the need of the steps in the OP?

I apologize, I did not include that after I got the unlock code with DC Unclock I used Fastboot to enter the code and unlock the bootloader. It is well worth the 4 euro and really fairly straight forward. I always root my devices but I am waiting until Huawei stops doing OTA's on this . So far no complaints with stock.

Reactions: dahawthorne

dahawthorne

Nov 15, 2014
Brighton
No worries - thanks for clarifying. I thought it sounded too simple to be true, after reading all the hoops people have to jump through to unlock this device.
Oh well, the search for a simply-rootable tablet continues... :). I won't give money to companies which refuse to give me total access to the device I've paid for.

Tool Belt

Feb 5, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
No worries - thanks for clarifying. I thought it sounded too simple to be true, after reading all the hoops people have to jump through to unlock this device.
Oh well, the search for a simply-rootable tablet continues... :). I won't give money to companies which refuse to give me total access to the device I've paid for.

I understand and respect your philosophy. Having said that.....you are missing out on a fab tablet.

Reactions: dahawthorne

Psych Engel

Apr 7, 2017
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hello

Somebody know if work DC Unlocker on a Huawei M5 Pro with 8.0.0.172?

I'm also wondering that ...
Did neither unlock any bootloader nor root back then, as I figured I did not need it, however, the chance of getting rid of "auto-brightness feature" is tempting, so I figured I'd give it a try ...

I don´t think, there should be a problem. Even if there´s a problem, you can get your money back from dc-unlocker.

I´m a little bit confused, because my code was only a 16 digit code. If it´s only a 16 digit code, it should be possible to do a brute-force on it or am I wrong?

Tool Belt

Feb 5, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I don´t think, there should be a problem. Even if there´s a problem, you can get your money back from dc-unlocker.

I´m a little bit confused, because my code was only a 16 digit code. If it´s only a 16 digit code, it should be possible to do a brute-force on it or am I wrong?

Sure, if you have time to try 10 to the 16th combinations.........do the math at even a thousand combinations a second.

oslo83

I checked and :
-I got an alphanumerical unlock code for a blue honor9 from huawei unlock form last december
-I got a numerical-only only code for a grey honor9 from hcu-client/DC-unlocker last spring

Maybe, there is multiple unlocks codes for a same device... or at least maybe one numerical and one alphanumerical...

CrazyPeter

Sep 1, 2010
Nobody has posted their actual code, could the alpha numeric be hex? (Or hex pairs) and when converted to decimal match up? Perhaps the bootloader accepts the code in hex or decimal????

Reactions: oslo83

Psych Engel

Apr 7, 2017
OnePlus 9 Pro
Nobody has posted their actual code, could the alpha numeric be hex? (Or hex pairs) and when converted to decimal match up? Perhaps the bootloader accepts the code in hex or decimal????

Could be possible. DC-Unlocked only provides numeric codes, so far I researched in other threads. I can check it with my mate 10 pro which has a Huawei unlock code. 4€ shouldn't be the problem to use DC and check the connection between the code from Huawei and DC. Will report later, when I'm at home.

Reactions: oslo83

Flavio

I get unkown error 375 when reading the bootloader code.
I am on SHT-AL09 8.0.0172 (C432).
Is this perhaps a version that has closed the backdoor that DC-Unlocker uses?
Edit: According to DC-Unlocked it is. But the question is, how do I downgrade to an earlier firmware?

Last edited:

kev1807

Jan 17, 2011
Heidelberg
Hi guys,

I just started with this guide and do not find out what to choose in dc-unlocker when I intend to buy credits (look at the attached pic!)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your device. Use the steps below at your own risk . Be mindful of the facts unlocking bootloader voids your warranty and also hard resets your device - ALL YOUR DATA, SETTINGS, FILES AND APPS WILL BE DELETED. These steps worked for me - I own Chinese version of 8.4" LTE model. I do not know if they will work for any other models of M5, including European versions, WiFi only version and 10" models.

To execute the steps below you will need to obtain unlock code, specific to bootloader of your device. There is a slow, painful and free way to get it, and there is a quick and easy way to get the code instantly, which will cost you 4 euros. The slow way is to create Huawei ID, register on Huawei website and request the unlock code directly from Huawei, through dedicated link they provide. I do not use this method, so I don't have the link - do not ask. You will have to provide justification why you need it, such as being a developer and you bought the device to develop and make a living off of it - something Huawei support would find reasonable. In most cases they will not agree to unlock bootloader if you just tell them you want to install some roms. In this guide I will be describing the other method to get it done, which costs 4 euros.

Follow these steps.

1. Go to DC Unlocker website, register for an account (or login, if you already have one)
    2. Buy 4 credits (cost is 4 euro) using the Buy link
    3. Download the latest DC Unlocker client (pictures 1,2 below)
    4. Open the DC Unlocker client, click "server" tab on the right (picture 1) , enter your website login you created in step 1 and click "Check Login"
    5. Select "Huawei phones" from "Select manufacturer" dropdown
    6. On your M5, go to Dialer app, and type in *#*#2846579#*#* to open Project Menu
    7. Click Background Settings->USB Port Settings->Manufacture Mode
    8. Connect your M5 to PC via USB cable and return to DC Unlocker client
    9. Click the Search button to detect your device. It should be detected as "Huawei HiSilicon Kirin Android" (picture 1)
    10. Click "Unlocking" tab
    11. Click "Read Bootloader Code"(picture 2). It may not work on the first try, but don't worry - unsuccessful bootloader code reads do not spend your credits. Give it a few seconds, disconnect/reconnect USB cable and try again
    12. Copy and save generated bootloader code
    13. Download Huawei Multi Tool from the bottom of this page and install it
    14. Boot into download mode by powering off your M5, then holding Vol Down + Power keys simultaneously for a few seconds and then plugging in USB cable while still holding these 2 keys
    15. Open Multi Tool v8 and paste the code you got from DC Unlocker into "Get Unlock Key" input field
    16 Click "Use your key" button next to it (picture 3)
    17. On the bottom right click the green "Unlock bootloader" button
    18. You will get a bunch of warnings on your M5 screen about unlocking bootloader - press Vol Up key and then Power key
    19. At this point your bootloader will be unlocked and M5 will factory reset itself

Note: using Multi Tool is optional. Instead, if you have ADB tools with fastboot installed on your PC, then after step 14 you can just use fastboot to unlock your bootloader, by typing "fastboot oem unlock <code>"
    Note 2: I don't do tech support via PM, so don't PM me for help or with questions. Use the thread instead, and some other XDA members or myself will probably help you. Good luck!

Now I'm hoping some dev takes a shine to our phablet, and compiles TWRP build for it. It can certainly be installed now that we managed to unlock the bootloader :cool:
    To enter Project Mode on Wifi only tablets, open calculator and enter () () 2,846,579 () (). On 10.8" tablet, it will need to be in landscape mode to get all the calculator symbols to show.
    * * *Thread Cleaned, again * * *

Look guys, everyone here was new, asked dumb questions, made stupid remarks, and frustrated those who are contributing to Xda. Each of us has done it when we were new, someone of us are still doing it as senior members.

My point; now that you're the one being frustrated by new users, don't threaten to pick up your toys and go home, if every dev here did that this place would be another social site. Report abusive users, don't "punish" the many users who show respect and appreciation for your time and efforts by walking away because a few new guys get irritating (remember when you were the one doing the irritating).

Maybe it would do us all good to remember the days when we were the ones making people mad, asking stupid questions or arguing because we thought we knew when we really didn't.

Those who are here to share your hard work, and be recognized, thanked, and grow your experience, please remember that the rules are for you as well as everyone else.

If you are relatively new, and don't know how things work in Xda, or think you know more than someone else, or feel like arguing because your opinion is different than the one providing mods, Roms, etc. figure out a way to communicate the difference with respect and realizing that people who develop word here do it for free, they do it when they could be hanging out with friends or family, and they share it with us because they want to see if it works, what's broke, and get feedback on how to fix it. Not be disrespected by users who haven't put in that time yet. And the rules apply to you as well as everyone else.

This thread has talented and experienced people in it, don't let all that get wasted and lost in arguing, bickering, and violation Forum Rules. Nothing productive come of that.

No one is permitted to insult, be rude, or disrespect another user, regardless of your title, your skill level, or your time in Xda. Those who give up their personal time to develop mods for our devices deserve respect from those of us who use their work for free.

tl;dr

Be respectful to those who dedicate their free time to provide free stuff for us, every users should show respect to every user, report those causing heartache and frustration, remember you are here for the greater good, not the lesser evil. Be kind, and be an example of what you think Xda should be.
    • Once you're on the unlock page, fill everything out for a Wifi tablet with "Before EMUI5.0 selected".
    • Before hitting Submit, go into the chrome developer tools and under the sources tab, open up the file 'emui.huawei.com -> en -> publish static -> plugin -> unlock/template -> js -> detail.js?v.4.15'.
    • Click the '{ }' icon at the bottom left of the source pane to pretty-print the file
    • Scroll down to line 150 that should say "if(param.before5)". Right click the line number for that line and select 'add breakpoint'.
    • Now hit submit.
    • The submission should break on that line number, when it does (it'll be highlight), go into the console and enter "param.before5 = 0" (without quotes, followed by enter) to change it's value
    • Hit the '>' symbol at the top right of the source tab to resume submission.
    Got mine today for the CMR-W09 in a simliar way which may be easier for some:
    • Go to unlock page but select "Since EMUI5.0"
    • Fill in everything but IMEI
    • Open Konsole (F12) and paste
      Code:
      $('#model').val('Tablet-Wi-Fi')
      second box should change from "Smartphone" to "Tablet-Wi-Fi"
    • Click Commit and receive unlock code
    The B181 update includes a security patch, which closes the backdoor used by DC-unocker to obtain the booloader unlock code.
    DC-unlocker comments this with: "Your device now runs new security system and no service will work even if it is detected as it appears [​IMG] Only possibly downgrade may help it."

So, if you want to get the bootloader code, you must use B168 or versions below that.
    If you have already updated to B181 , you must try to downgrade.

You can find versions with working common dload method via project menu and SD Card
    find it here: http://androidhost.ru/search.html
    Just search "AL09" or "W09" , "Mediapad M5" or "Madiapad M5" (Seems they have a typo maybe because of diffenent russian characters)
    I checked B181 and B168 (for W09) both have XLOADER 02 (checked via ante09 tool) , so this should work.