• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question Bootloader Unlock? Root? Custom ROM?

Search This thread

madmartian

Nov 18, 2007
Anyone attempt to unlock the bootloader, root, or install a custom ROM? I asked Lenovo support about unlocking the bootloader and they said it can be done but would not tell me how. :) I don't want to buy this until I know I can root it. I am looking at the Tab P11 Pro, but that does not have its own forum (yet?)

Grael

Sep 28, 2015
For "Pad P11 Pro" (or XiaoXin Tab Pro flashed with P11 pro rom), you can follow instructions here to install twrp and root.

Except for step "4. Unlock bootloader" where I had to use this command instead:
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock

And I didn't do step 6

Don't forget that unlocking bootloader:
- wipes all data
- disables widevine Level 1, so Netflix and other streaming services fallback to low definition.

And there is no custom rom that I know of.

Reactions: giokou and pierro78

madmartian

Nov 18, 2007
I am a tad confused on something, though - GSM Arena says this tablet has LTE, but the Lenovo website makes no mention of LTE...
Oy, I found the answer in a review... " in certain regions outside of the US, you’ll be able to buy an LTE-ready version of the Tab P11 Pro "
So, no LTE in the US version - which means no use to me. Guess I'll have to wait for the Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 Plus later this year.

ChrisM243

Jun 14, 2014
Whatever the bootloader has to to with the DRM crap called Widevine. But as long as there is no LineageOS or any other custom rom with more features I don't see why I'd unlock the bootlader atm. I wish there was one, security patch december on a new device is not acceptable imo...

Is there a way to debloat the existing rom?

BB.

May 24, 2010
Hong Kong
For "Pad P11 Pro" (or XiaoXin Tab Pro flashed with P11 pro rom), you can follow instructions here to install twrp and root.

Code:
fastboot flashing unlock

And I didn't do step 6

- wipes all data
- disables widevine Level 1, so Netflix and other streaming services fallback to low definition.

Are you successfully to unlock bootloader & root with magisk??
I'm new with Tab P11 Pro, but can't unlock on ZUI website, also can't find out how to unlock bootloader on internet! Please tell me this method, if you use "fastboot flashing unlock", really can be unlock bootloader? Do or didn't do step 6, have any difference??
And you said "But the widevine thing made me go back to the locked bootloader", what is widevine thing??
Thanks!!

giokou

May 19, 2009
Athens
OnePlus 8 Pro
Lenovo P11
Are you successfully to unlock bootloader & root with magisk??
I'm new with Tab P11 Pro, but can't unlock on ZUI website, also can't find out how to unlock bootloader on internet! Please tell me this method, if you use "fastboot flashing unlock", really can be unlock bootloader? Do or didn't do step 6, have any difference??
And you said "But the widevine thing made me go back to the locked bootloader", what is widevine thing??
Thanks!!

I just did it, so i confirm the bootloader unlock and the rooting of p11 pro with this exact method!!

Reactions: pierro78

Sogree

Apr 11, 2012
Yes, magisk was working great.
But the widevine thing made me go back to the locked bootloader
Hi, I own the Pro and would like to root. If I root with this method, after rooting, if I lock the bootloader again..... Do I still have Root? (and if yes: with what command did you relock the bootloader & does (after relocking) netflix and stuf run high-res againg?

moses_dx

Aug 23, 2014
the stock rom looks fine, but I'm concerned for updates, lenovo is known for forgetting to update the tablets, also loosing the sound quality will be something to be considered by a future rom developer

Grael

Sep 28, 2015
Hi, I own the Pro and would like to root. If I root with this method, after rooting, if I lock the bootloader again..... Do I still have Root? (and if yes: with what command did you relock the bootloader & does (after relocking) netflix and stuf run high-res againg?
Hi, relocking the bootloader is like doing a factory reset.
You lose all apps and data (and root, obviously)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone attempt to unlock the bootloader, root, or install a custom ROM? I asked Lenovo support about unlocking the bootloader and they said it can be done but would not tell me how. :) I don't want to buy this until I know I can root it. I am looking at the Tab P11 Pro, but that does not have its own forum (yet?)

Code:
    fastboot flashing unlock

And I didn't do step 6

- wipes all data

Whatever the bootloader has to to with the DRM crap called Widevine. But as long as there is no LineageOS or any other custom rom with more features I don't see why I'd unlock the bootlader atm. I wish there was one, security patch december on a new device is not acceptable imo...

Is there a way to debloat the existing rom?
    I'm thiking of buying the XiaoXin Tab Pro (same tablet/half the price), but i have the same questions as you.
    ...And there is no custom rom that I know of.

Were you able to root the stock ROM with Magisk?

This tablet is currently on sale for $100 off!

I am a tad confused on something, though - GSM Arena says this tablet has LTE, but the Lenovo website makes no mention of LTE...