Question Bootloader unlock

d0ce

May 15, 2013
I've been away from Samsung a little while, the S21 Ultra has tempted me back.

Can't see myself not tripping them Knox for long, but does unlocking the bootloader alone cause this to trip? Thought id unlock this day one so I don't have to reset if/when the flashing starts. I will be getting an unlocked international Exynos variant.

From memory, factory images through Odin wont trip Knox?

Thanks!!

ramkiller1

Sep 12, 2011

Can't see myself not tripping them Knox for long, but does unlocking the bootloader alone cause this to trip? Thought id unlock this day one so I don't have to reset if/when the flashing starts. I will be getting an unlocked international Exynos variant.

Thanks!!
Why are you getting the Exynos version if I may ask, Lots of people rather the Snapdragon.

Mr.Conkel

Oct 10, 2020
London
Why are you getting the Exynos version if I may ask, Lots of people rather the Snapdragon.
Largely it is way easier to unlock bootloaders on Global variants so the Exynos while not better per say it won't hold you back much and will give a better unlocking process as in the U.S. at least many Samsung devices get locked down.

ErriK89

Oct 19, 2010
Milan
Hi guys, it's since some years that I don't have a galaxy s (last was s7). Since S21 ultra seems very interesting I'm thinking about to buy it, but how is the situation for what concern bootload unlock and root? It's easy to unlock and apply magisk without drawbacks?

Mr. Goose

Nov 29, 2018
People have had to pay for this? I'm coming from s7 edge custom rom, exynos.
I'm not too knowledgeable with this kind of stuff, but if you look at how Galaxy S8/S8+ root went, there was a bounty thread with a lot of money and in the end, no one was able to unlock the bootloader on the Snapdragon phones. It was way too hard, so everyone had to give up. They did figure out how to root the phone, but you had to use an old development version of the OS, battery was locked to 80%, and you couldn't install Magisk.

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Phoenix
www.sampwnd.com

rodrigofd

Feb 19, 2009
Madrid, Spain
www.linkedin.com

Thanks!!
Answering your original question, unlocking the bootloader (either selecting OEM Unlock in Dev. Settings, and/or long pressing Vol+ on the DL screen, does *NOT* trip KNOX.
KNOX is tripped when you flash a customized boot.img file, not before

d0ce

May 15, 2013
Answering your original question, unlocking the bootloader (either selecting OEM Unlock in Dev. Settings, and/or long pressing Vol+ on the DL screen, does *NOT* trip KNOX.
KNOX is tripped when you flash a customized boot.img file, not before
Yeh thanks bud, as I thought.

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Phoenix
www.sampwnd.com
Do you think it will take a long time?
lol who knows.. I actually purchased a g998u1 and so far me nor any of my sources can unloxk the bl yet.. not sure what hes working on or if he has the device but assuming he works in some similar channels i dont think theyve gotten anywhere either..

these sort of things are always random.. sometimes stuff happens quick other times they dont.. sometimes its some kind of roit soketimes its a bl unlock lol its anyones guess basically.. i wont say im working on it or give false hope tho lol.. if i end up figuring anything out ill post in my threads of course.. so far its locked pretty good.. that said its only been out a few days lol