• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Bootloader UNLOCKED - need ROM

Search This thread

RafBB

Apr 16, 2021
Hello,

So the good news is - apparently we can unlock Kirin 970 now. I did the hardware testpoint mode with the HCU Client and it worked just fine! I was replacing the battery anyway so I already had access to the motherboard. The question now is - what happened to LineageOS ROMs? Looks like they just deleted all of them.

Is there anybody out there with one of them on their HDD willing to share? Google cached website is showing two of them:

lineage-16.0-20210211-nightly-charlotte-signed.zip 2/11/21
lineage-16.0-20210204-nightly-charlotte-signed.zip 2/4/21

I'm gonna try to build a custom LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) soon as well.
Thanks.

Hello,

So the good news is - apparently we can unlock Kirin 970 now. I did the hardware testpoint mode with the HCU Client and it worked just fine! I was replacing the battery anyway so I already had access to the motherboard. The question now is - what happened to LineageOS ROMs? Looks like they just deleted all of them.

Is there anybody out there with one of them on their HDD willing to share? Google cached website is showing two of them:

Thanks.
Here you are

Hello,

Thanks.
Are you use EMUI 9.1 to unlock Bootloader ?

Hello,

Thanks.

Here is my p20 pro , can I unlock the Bootloader ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210417_190407.jpg
    Screenshot_20210417_190407.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 55

RafBB

Apr 16, 2021

Ok so here was the process:

1) Backed up all my data from the device (CLT-L29)
2) Factory reset the device
3) I used Huawei Hisuite software to rollback as far (BACK) as I could. It actually let me downgrade to EMUI 8.
4) Installed HCU and DC Phoenix (timed 72 hour license for both was like 20 euro)
5) Installed NECESSARY drivers on my Windows 10 machine (HUAWEI USB COM 1.0) for the testpoint
6) I opened the phone (I wanted to replace the battery anyway). Unscrew a couple of screws and take a shield to get to the pad.
7) With the phone completely off, short the testpad to ground (I used tweezers) and plug in the USB cable while still shorting out that pad. (USB cable that is connected to your Windows machine that is). Your phone screen will stay completely OFF, but you should hear an USB "ding" sound in you windows machine. Go to the device manager and check for HUAWEI USB COM 1.0 (Your Port). If you don't see it it won't work.
8) Fire up HCU Client, check account, select "Fastboot/XLoader (Hisilicon only)" on phone connection mode.
9) Go to the "Fastboot/Xloader" tab and select CPU (for me Kirin970_T2_A8.1_V5) worked fine.
10) Click Read phone info button, you'll see a progress bar on the bottom, it should take like 2 minutes
11) If everything went fine you'll see a log on the right with your unlock code in it
12) You can unlock it from that software, select "Bootloader lock: unlock", and "Write bootloader code" I also selected "Erase Huawei ID" and click "Repair" button. It will be quick. And that's it!

Now, flashing a custom ROM was a pain. Apparently most of them REQUIRE EMUI 9.0.0.159 (159 is the KEY!). You must get the original firmware and flash it with DC Phoenix. After that the process went something like this...

1) Put the phone in fastboot/rescue mode (hold the volume down button wile inserting USB cable with the phone off)
2) Flash TWRP for charlotte with fastboot from your PC
3) Restart phone into RECOVERY (TWRP) mode
4) Sideload your rom.ZIP file (Lineage for example)
5) Sideload google apps
6) Sideload factory camera app (honestly its the best for that phone)
7) Restart the bootloader (you will be in the fastboot mode again)
8) Upload the ORIGINAL recovery image (it wont boot if you dont do it) you can revert to TWRP after the first boot
9) Go into Huawei recovery mode (power+volume up)
10) Wipe/factory reset
11) Restart and you are done! (now you can flash TWRP again if you want)

It took me an entire day of work to figure it out. All the info (steps) is available online including the location of the test pad and disassembly of the phone. Here's an awesome guide to flashing Lineage (https://depl0y.com/posts/P20-Pro-LineageOS-Guide/). One thing I've noticed if you try to use HiSuite AFTER you unlocked your bootloader it WILL lock it again. I had to do it twice while I was trying to get EMUI 9.0.0.159. The best way was to use DC Phoenix and ROM from androidhost.ru.

Anyway after all that I now have an unlocked P20 Pro with stock android. It's bloatware free and runs great. So far no major issues with the ROM.

3) I used Huawei Hisuite software to rollback as far (BACK) as I could. It actually let me downgrade to EMUI 8.
4) Installed HCU and DC Phoenix (timed 72 hour license for both was like 20 euro)
5) Installed NECESSARY drivers on my Windows 10 machine (HUAWEI USB COM 1.0) for the testpoint
6) I opened the phone (I wanted to replace the battery anyway). Unscrew a couple of screws and take a shield to get to the pad.
7) With the phone completely off, short the testpad to ground (I used tweezers) and plug in the USB cable while still shorting out that pad. (USB cable that is connected to your Windows machine that is). Your phone screen will stay completely OFF, but you should hear an USB "ding" sound in you windows machine. Go to the device manager and check for HUAWEI USB COM 1.0 (Your Port). If you don't see it it won't work.
8) Fire up HCU Client, check account, select "Fastboot/XLoader (Hisilicon only)" on phone connection mode.
9) Go to the "Fastboot/Xloader" tab and select CPU (for me Kirin970_T2_A8.1_V5) worked fine.
10) Click Read phone info button, you'll see a progress bar on the bottom, it should take like 2 minutes
11) If everything went fine you'll see a log on the right with your unlock code in it
12) You can unlock it from that software, select "Bootloader lock: unlock", and "Write bootloader code" I also selected "Erase Huawei ID" and click "Repair" button. It will be quick. And that's it!

Now, flashing a custom ROM was a pain. Apparently most of them REQUIRE EMUI 9.0.0.159 (159 is the KEY!). You must get the original firmware and flash it with DC Phoenix. After that the process went something like this...

1) Put the phone in fastboot/rescue mode (hold the volume down button wile inserting USB cable with the phone off)
5) Sideload google apps
8) Upload the ORIGINAL recovery image (it wont boot if you dont do it) you can revert to TWRP after the first boot
10) Wipe/factory reset

It took me an entire day of work to figure it out. All the info (steps) is available online including the location of the test pad and disassembly of the phone. Here's an awesome guide to flashing Lineage (https://depl0y.com/posts/P20-Pro-LineageOS-Guide/). One thing I've noticed if you try to use HiSuite AFTER you unlocked your bootloader it WILL lock it again. I had to do it twice while I was trying to get EMUI 9.0.0.159. The best way was to use DC Phoenix and ROM from androidhost.ru.

Anyway after all that I now have an unlocked P20 Pro with stock android. It's bloatware free and runs great. So far no major issues with the ROM.

Things are not that simple. The HiSuite on Mac have been updated.
I can't find the button that can roll back or check for update after this.
Maybe I should try HiSuite on Windows.🤔

RafBB

Apr 16, 2021
I suddenly remembered that I cannot use HiSuite Windows version to roll back to EMUI 8 , but I can roll back to EMUI 9. Maybe I can roll back to EMUI 8 from EMUI 9. Needing roll back twice ?

You *should be able to unlock it with EMUI 9. I rolled it back to 8, just to find out later on I need 9.0.0.159 anyway. So I used HiSuite to update it to 9 - but it wasn't the version I wanted and also doing this in HiSuite removed my bootloader code, so I ended up using HCU Client on EMUI 9 and it worked just fine. After that I used DC Phoenix to flash the 9.0.0.159 (bootloader stayed unlocked). It was a pain, but yeah you SHOULD be able to unlock it with EMUI9.

Reactions: ArthurTsai

RafBB

Apr 16, 2021
Just to let you know that official ROM (lineage-16.0-20210211-nightly-charlotte-signed.zip) is not working on my P20 Pro. It crashes on the first boot. I'm back with (lineage-16.0-20190217_125340-UNOFFICIAL-charlotte.zip) I believe it was made made by LuK1337. Works great. I use it with open gapps pico version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

Thanks.

5) Sideload google apps
    10) Wipe/factory reset

Just to let you know that official ROM (lineage-16.0-20210211-nightly-charlotte-signed.zip) is not working on my P20 Pro. It crashes on the first boot. I'm back with (lineage-16.0-20190217_125340-UNOFFICIAL-charlotte.zip) I believe it was made made by LuK1337. Works great. I use it with open gapps pico version.
    I suddenly remembered that I cannot use HiSuite Windows version to roll back to EMUI 8 , but I can roll back to EMUI 9. Maybe I can roll back to EMUI 8 from EMUI 9. Needing roll back twice ?

You *should be able to unlock it with EMUI 9. I rolled it back to 8, just to find out later on I need 9.0.0.159 anyway. So I used HiSuite to update it to 9 - but it wasn't the version I wanted and also doing this in HiSuite removed my bootloader code, so I ended up using HCU Client on EMUI 9 and it worked just fine. After that I used DC Phoenix to flash the 9.0.0.159 (bootloader stayed unlocked). It was a pain, but yeah you SHOULD be able to unlock it with EMUI9.
    Here's a log from unlocking 9.0.0.168...
    p20pro.jpg