Bootloader weirdness

Search This thread

dragos281993

Recognized Contributor
Mar 29, 2014
Iasi
I couldn't find absolutely any information about this anywhere so heck, I'm gonna just post this hoping someone has a clue about it. There was only one other person asking about it in September last year for another pixel phone, but he didn't get an answer either.
So the issue. After using the online flashing tool provided by Google for flashing AOSP builds, the bootloader shows 2 additional lines at the bottom. I've never seen them before and now even after factory resetting, either via flashing the factory image or sideloading the OTA, switching slots and flashing to factory image on both slots, locking back the bootloader, those 2 options are still there. No negative effects on the usage of the phone as I'm using it as I've been doing since I got it, but those 2 friggin options are still there and it's bugging the hell out of me.
If someone has a clue, please do share. I'd really appreciate it.
[ picture taken with potato phone :) ]

Attachments

• IMG_20210226_224734.jpg
    IMG_20210226_224734.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 82

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
I couldn't find absolutely any information about this anywhere so heck, I'm gonna just post this hoping someone has a clue about it. There was only one other person asking about it in September last year for another pixel phone, but he didn't get an answer either.
So the issue. After using the online flashing tool provided by Google for flashing AOSP builds, the bootloader shows 2 additional lines at the bottom. I've never seen them before and now even after factory resetting, either via flashing the factory image or sideloading the OTA, switching slots and flashing to factory image on both slots, locking back the bootloader, those 2 options are still there. No negative effects on the usage of the phone as I'm using it as I've been doing since I got it, but those 2 friggin options are still there and it's bugging the hell out of me.
If someone has a clue, please do share. I'd really appreciate it.
[ picture taken with potato phone :) ]
I remember seeing that post. I've never used the flash method, always downloaded the link and used fastboot. This has to have happened to more than the two of you. I wonder if it's isolated to the Pixel 5?

dragos281993

Recognized Contributor
Mar 29, 2014
Iasi
I remember seeing that post. I've never used the flash method, always downloaded the link and used fastboot. This has to have happened to more than the two of you. I wonder if it's isolated to the Pixel 5?
I actually saw the same thing on a Pixel 4's bootloader. It's really weird. It seems to be hardcoded or something cause not going away no matter the flashing method, slot switching and so on.

Strangely my P5 doesn't have those two additional options. For the first time ever I used the online flash tool to wipe and fresh install last month's update (Feb 2021), this past Saturday. But yeah my screen looks the same as always.

Hopefully those two options that some are seeing don't mean something ominous going forward, like Google taking away our options for unlocked bootloaders.

Thought I'd add my experience, I'm glad to know about this.