Bootloader - which

Search This thread

andrewbat

Nov 27, 2008
Melbourne
Hi,

I have just rooted my Acer Iconia A500.

I am now thinking of flashing a custom ROM.

Do I need to change my bootloader or something...I'm so confused??

What is the best way to flash a custom ROM now that I'm rooted?

Any and ask help appreciated?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Hi,

I have just rooted my Acer Iconia A500.

I am now thinking of flashing a custom ROM.

Do I need to change my bootloader or something...I'm so confused??

What is the best way to flash a custom ROM now that I'm rooted?

Any and ask help appreciated?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

The answer is... Yes and No.

It depends on which custom ROM you are going to install.

With the introduction of ICS, Acer changed the bootloader (you know, the high security). Created a problem, as to run an ICS Rom on an HC Bootloader, it required "hacking" the ICS kernel so as to get /System RW. This worked, but created some small display glitches, most notably on boot. And sometimes some fuzzy glitches during normal use. It worked, but not like it should be.

The solution was made by Skirlax_CZ in repatching the ICS bootloader itself. Not to mention the addition of some really cool features such as fastboot and boot image changing. Removing a short piece of code in the kernel meant full system rw without rooting.

The only drawback, you have to use NVFlash to change bootloaders. Although the process itself has been made simple with some 1 click tools, it's only about 80% successful more or less.

The next thing, is to read and follow the Guides in the Dev forum. They are stickied, so you can find them at the top of the forum. The contain the links to what you need.

A lot of times, if the process fails, the following may help.
1. Try a different PC
2. Try a different USB port
3. Use a proper USB cable (not the cheap ones, there is a difference in cables. I use my HTC cable)
4. Disable anti-virus, etc
5. Roll back using TimmyDeans RUU method (resets partitions)

Note the comments about UID number. Get your UID "before" you do any process, especially if you are on HC. Write it down somewhere. And again when on ICS.

Good Luck

MD

andrewbat

Nov 27, 2008
Melbourne
The answer is... Yes and No.

It depends on which custom ROM you are going to install.

With the introduction of ICS, Acer changed the bootloader (you know, the high security). Created a problem, as to run an ICS Rom on an HC Bootloader, it required "hacking" the ICS kernel so as to get /System RW. This worked, but created some small display glitches, most notably on boot. And sometimes some fuzzy glitches during normal use. It worked, but not like it should be.

The solution was made by Skirlax_CZ in repatching the ICS bootloader itself. Not to mention the addition of some really cool features such as fastboot and boot image changing. Removing a short piece of code in the kernel meant full system rw without rooting.

The only drawback, you have to use NVFlash to change bootloaders. Although the process itself has been made simple with some 1 click tools, it's only about 80% successful more or less.

The next thing, is to read and follow the Guides in the Dev forum. They are stickied, so you can find them at the top of the forum. The contain the links to what you need.

A lot of times, if the process fails, the following may help.
1. Try a different PC
2. Try a different USB port
3. Use a proper USB cable (not the cheap ones, there is a difference in cables. I use my HTC cable)
4. Disable anti-virus, etc
5. Roll back using TimmyDeans RUU method (resets partitions)

Note the comments about UID number. Get your UID "before" you do any process, especially if you are on HC. Write it down somewhere. And again when on ICS.

Good Luck

MD

Hi,

I actually have a stock Acer ICS Rom....

So...can you please explain if I need to update anything...thanks

Sent from my A500 using xda app-developers app

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
That first link confused me BAD!!!!

Are there any other simpler instructions that I can actually follow....seriously?:confused:

I'm not sure how much simpler the instructions can be.

1. Get your UID and SBK
2. Make sure your Acer drivers are installed.
3. Run After OTA (there are a couple other methods, but this is the beginning)
4. Follow the instructions. Should (85% of the time) put the unlocked bootloader and cwm.

If you are unsure of the instructions, or the terminology involved, then perhaps it is wise not to do it.

The number 1 thing, get your current UID before you proceed with anything. Write the damn thing down somewhere.

MD

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone