Bootloader won't unlock!

Search This thread
I purchased a Motorola Moto G power directly from the Google site and paid full price but every time I type in my bootloader unlock key it says my device is ineligible. Does it have to be a certain amount of days after I purchased it for it to be eligible? I have tried it numerous times and it just will not work. Can anyone please offer some advice? It's model number XT2041-4. I have had this device for at least a couple of months. Someone has some info to offer that would be great. Motorola hasn't even updated their page because the newest models it shows is the G7 series.

excelsus85

Feb 24, 2017
I purchased a Motorola Moto G power directly from the Google site and paid full price but every time I type in my bootloader unlock key it says my device is ineligible. Does it have to be a certain amount of days after I purchased it for it to be eligible? I have tried it numerous times and it just will not work. Can anyone please offer some advice? It's model number XT2041-4. I have had this device for at least a couple of months. Someone has some info to offer that would be great. Motorola hasn't even updated their page because the newest models it shows is the G7 series.

Do you type the key right? If so, some phones can't be unlocked, you have to wait to Motorola update the page. Do you put the right region page for your phone?

Do you type the key right? If so, some phones can't be unlocked, you have to wait to Motorola update the page. Do you put the right region page for your phone?
Yes I have went through at least 5 times and wrote down twice so I know the unlock key is right. It might be that I owe money still. I got on a deal for $150 that being hundred dollars off the regular price but then I hardly used it and money got tight so I canceled service trying to save money and my dumbass canceled it 7 days too early and I lost out on my promo discount of $100 so actually I still owe $96. That could be what's holding it back. And plus Motorola needs to update their page. I'll wait till that last payment comes out and then try it again. Actually I think the payment came out today.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra using XDA Labs

nortnil

Jul 8, 2010
Yes I have went through at least 5 times and wrote down twice so I know the unlock key is right. It might be that I owe money still. I got on a deal for $150 that being hundred dollars off the regular price but then I hardly used it and money got tight so I canceled service trying to save money and my dumbass canceled it 7 days too early and I lost out on my promo discount of $100 so actually I still owe $96. That could be what's holding it back. And plus Motorola needs to update their page. I'll wait till that last payment comes out and then try it again. Actually I think the payment came out today.

I don't know that you owing Google Fi money would stop the unlock. I unlocked mine the day I got it, so there is no way for them to know if I'm going to live up to the contract or not.

Are you having trouble with the first part where you enter your code into Motorola's website or the second piece where you enter the code you got from the email into the fastboot command?
1. If it's the website, be sure you copy all of the lines ( I think it was 4) together into one line on the website. I copied all of it into Notepad and did a Ctrl + H to find and replace the "(bootloader) " at the begging of each line with nothing. Then I went through and deleted the line breaks to get one massive string. Entering that in got the site to work.

2. If you're having trouble when you send the unlock token via the fastboot command, there is a step missing from Motorola's website. On the phone go to Settings> About > Click the build number 7 times to enable developer options. Go to Developer Options> toggle on Enable OEM Unlocking > reboot back into the bootloader. Now the fastboot command will work.

I don't know that you owing Google Fi money would stop the unlock. I unlocked mine the day I got it, so there is no way for them to know if I'm going to live up to the contract or not.

Are you having trouble with the first part where you enter your code into Motorola's website or the second piece where you enter the code you got from the email into the fastboot command?
1. If it's the website, be sure you copy all of the lines ( I think it was 4) together into one line on the website. I copied all of it into Notepad and did a Ctrl + H to find and replace the "(bootloader) " at the begging of each line with nothing. Then I went through and deleted the line breaks to get one massive string. Entering that in got the site to work.

2. If you're having trouble when you send the unlock token via the fastboot command, there is a step missing from Motorola's website. On the phone go to Settings> About > Click the build number 7 times to enable developer options. Go to Developer Options> toggle on Enable OEM Unlocking > reboot back into the bootloader. Now the fastboot command will work.
After I get all four lines entered and then I go to the Motorola website that's when it says my device is not capable of being unlocked. And if you go to their page the newest phone they got is from the Moto G7 series and I have a Moto g power. So it's not even giving me an unlock token. I was sure it could be unlocked because it the unlocked model. It'll work on any carrier.

nortnil

Jul 8, 2010
After I get all four lines entered and then I go to the Motorola website that's when it says my device is not capable of being unlocked. And if you go to their page the newest phone they got is from the Moto G7 series and I have a Moto g power. So it's not even giving me an unlock token. I was sure it could be unlocked because it the unlocked model. It'll work on any carrier.

That is super strange. The Moto G Power from Google Fi should absolutely be unlockable. I did it with mine on Saturday. I see where you're talking about it only going up the the g7.

This is the link I used. I don't know if it's the same one you are using.
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

That is super strange. The Moto G Power from Google Fi should absolutely be unlockable. I did it with mine on Saturday. I see where you're talking about it only going up the the g7.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a
Yeah that's the same site I'm going to. I don't know why it's taking them so long to update their page because the g9 series is about to come out.

I am going to email them or call them tomorrow to see if they can update their page or let me know how I can go about doing it because I would like to have it rooted.

C.monster

Sep 11, 2020
Me too

I have the same problem except that mines a tracfone. super frustrating. if you find a solution please let me know

Lightnin'BoWatt

Mar 3, 2021
Moto G Play

This may sound whack but trying the url for the Motorola site with any browser besides Chrome might fix it... Did mine. But still Motorola won't give me a code either.

TaZeR369

Aug 28, 2016
When I first got my G7 power Canadian retail version, I went to one of the motorolla sites to unlock it and I got the same error and I did not understand why. Then I found a second motorolla site (i just forgot if first I went to a global one and then their main one or vice-versa) but if you can find another site that offers the same thing try that, because when I did it on that second motorolla page which looked pretty much the same although slightly different it then worked.

So if you've been trying at the international site, try the US site. Not sure if there are other ones, and I do not remember which one worked and didnt for me.

Apr 23, 2010
Mansfield
Moto G Power
So with a verizon version im screwed right? I dont really care about a custom rom at the moment but would like the have the retail US 11.0 firmware and root. Is this possible? If not I'm going to try to return it. I bought it on ebay and the seller didn't list it as the Verizon version or I wouldnt have bought it.

Last edited:

hamza Abbas

Jul 4, 2023
Does Someone helps me I have Motorola edge plus 2022 I want to unlock bootloader I tried too many time by give command
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
Buts it's failed someone helps me I also enable OEM from developer options

treysky54

Jun 25, 2018
Does Someone helps me I have Motorola edge plus 2022 I want to unlock bootloader I tried too many time by give command
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
Buts it's failed someone helps me I also enable OEM from developer options