bootloop after installing apk as system app

Search This thread

Slok 00

Oct 12, 2008
hello guys I need help... I tried to install an apk (MIUI alpha launcher) as system app on my Mi10 Ultra (last miui13 weekly - android 12) and as expected it ended in a bootloop... I am an idiot I know but I did it... I can access all system and data files trought TWRP.. I already removed magisk, magisk modules and the software I used for this stupid purpose and also flashed rom again and again but it still ends in a bootloop... I managed to save my files trough TWRP but before wiping everything I'd like to try to fix the phone because I still have bunch of important data and app installed (work stuff, 2FA suth ecc)... what could be the bootloop cause? I don't think I touched system partition because is locked in my phone when not in twrp/fastboot mode... my bet is that has been created something like a mount script somewhere that is causing the loop, but I also read that on new devices (android 10+ with dynamic partition) modifing system file cause bootloop, so I don't know... heeellp please

Reactions: Oswald Boelcke

xXx yYy

Feb 4, 2017
As soon as as you installed TWRP and / or Magisk system files were inevitably modified.
Bootloader detects that they ( especially boot.img ) got tampered and refuses to boot into Android.

Slok 00

Oct 12, 2008
As soon as as you installed TWRP and / or Magisk system files were inevitably modified.
Bootloader detects that they ( especially boot.img ) got tampered and refuses to boot into Android.
what? magisk and twrp had been working without any problem for months (on android 10, 11 and 12) ... this time I tried to install an user apk as system app that's what cause the bootloop

fddm

Feb 24, 2011
System verification info is stored in the vbmeta partition, so if you clear it, it should boot.
Code:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
You can probably find a blank vbmeta image to flash, or try an empty file. No harm in experimenting.

Slok 00

Oct 12, 2008
System verification info is stored in the vbmeta partition, so if you clear it, it should boot.
Code:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
You can probably find a blank vbmeta image to flash, or try an empty file. No harm in experimenting.
ok thanks i am going to try... in my phone i have both vbmeta.img and vbmeta_system.img... is enough to flash an empty vbmeta.img? no need to do same for vbmeta_system?

Slok 00

Oct 12, 2008
tried what you suggested and now phone boot directly to recovery with this message:

Android rescue party trigger! Possible solutions?

1.Wipe caches, and/or

2.Format data, and/or

3.Clean flash ROM

The reported problem is:
'set_policy_failed:/data/vendor'

xXx yYy

Feb 4, 2017
What the Rescue Party introduced with Android 8 essentially does is attempt to fix any erroneous changes made by the user or by system apps to the Settings.Global or Settings.Secure preference table. If this fails you get notified.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hello guys I need help... I tried to install an apk (MIUI alpha launcher) as system app on my Mi10 Ultra (last miui13 weekly - android 12) and as expected it ended in a bootloop... I am an idiot I know but I did it... I can access all system and data files trought TWRP.. I already removed magisk, magisk modules and the software I used for this stupid purpose and also flashed rom again and again but it still ends in a bootloop... I managed to save my files trough TWRP but before wiping everything I'd like to try to fix the phone because I still have bunch of important data and app installed (work stuff, 2FA suth ecc)... what could be the bootloop cause? I don't think I touched system partition because is locked in my phone when not in twrp/fastboot mode... my bet is that has been created something like a mount script somewhere that is causing the loop, but I also read that on new devices (android 10+ with dynamic partition) modifing system file cause bootloop, so I don't know... heeellp please