• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Bootloop after magisk update

Search This thread

Lutzifer1

Sep 1, 2018
Reactions: Rojrijo8

marusia7

Jul 26, 2009
How to proceed without TWRP Recovery?
I am on HTC U11+ without custom recovery, after update to Magisk 17 I lost root,
MM tells "latest version 17.1", "Magisk not installed".
Should I reflash stock boot.img first and then let Magisk produce patched boot.img or just let Magisk "re-patch" the (most probably) already patch img from v16?
(as I see now that after unsuccessful upgrade from 16 to 17.0 I downloaded 17.1 but did not proceed yet...)

Last edited:

Phuturist

May 12, 2010
on XDA
Just chipping in here.

Ran into the same issue on my ZUK Z2 Pro. Magisk Manager lost root and asked to update to version v17.0. I did so and was not able Flash Magis v17.0 from Manager so I downloaded the zip and flashed it in TRWP. This all went fine but got me in a bootloop. Followed the instructions from the first post and used uninstaller and then flashed Magisk 17.0 again from TWRP. Bootloop was gone but when reconfiguring Magisk (since settings where lost) my phone soft rebooted and was stuck on boot animation. Hard rebooting it also got it stuck on boot animation. Went into TWRP again, uninstalled Magisk again and now installed Magisk 16.0. This got my phone working again. Hopefully the issues will be fixed soon so I can safely upgrade to v17.0.

Tried again with v17.1 but with pretty much same result. I can boot but Magisk Hide is not working and the phone soft reboots and is often stuck on boot animation. Back to v16.0 for me.

AmjadHi

Sep 1, 2018
Le max 2 magisk v17 boot loop then multiple errors

I got into the same issue of boot loop with Magisk V17 update from v16 on my Le Max 2 with lineage OS 15.1 Only reinstalling superSU by twrp adb side load got me back to boot. Tried the latest magisk uninstaller as suggested in this thread but got “boot image patched by other programs” when I flash to instal. And “cannot uninstall”. Nothing has worked so far . I deleted the uninstall file and magisk manger from twrp and side loaded again using twrp ......but same. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

marusia7

Jul 26, 2009
How to proceed without TWRP Recovery?
I am on HTC U11+ without custom recovery, after update to Magisk 17 I lost root,
MM tells "latest version 17.1", "Magisk not installed".
Should I reflash stock boot.img first and then let Magisk produce patched boot.img or just let Magisk "re-patch" the (most probably) already patch img from v16?
(as I see now that after unsuccessful upgrade from 16 to 17.0 I downloaded 17.1 but did not proceed yet...)
Got it working:
Uninstalled Magisk Manager 17 and installed Manager 16, reflashed previous patched_boot.img (from v16) and installed v17.1 via Manager with option "direct installation"
Root is back with v17.1, all ok
(I did not have boot loops on my HTC U11+)

Morphello

Jun 25, 2011
Had high hopes for this, but didn't work for me on my Moto X Pure xt1575. doesn't look like the file re-generated either, which is odd.

In the same situation as you. It seems my only solution will be to wipe it all out and start again.

Edit: ah. I deleted mine from /system/etc/wifi instead of /data/misc/wifi.

I deleted /data/misc/wifi supplicant file and now I have wifi back. Not 100% sure what the damage is to have deleted the /system/etc/wifi but for now it's saved me a clean wipe.

Last edited:

desertcat

Apr 18, 2016
Tucson
Google Pixel 3a
Wow! There was way too much excitement of the kind I did not expect with updating from v16.0 to 17.0 today.
1. Updated from v16.0 to v17.0 - oh no a bootloop - did I mess this up?
2. Check XDA - found that others have the same problem - good, it wasn't something I did.
3. Somewhere between uninstalling v16.0 completely and trying to reinstall v17.0 again, v17.1 available.
4. Successful install of v17.1 (great!)
5. No WiFi (really?)
6. Found a solution in XDA
7. Everything working again - yeah!
Anyway, I would like to thank the XDA community for their all their hard work and contributions.

Lange_666

Oct 8, 2016
After the 17.1 debacle (i went straight from 15.3 to 17.1) phone completely wiped.
Luckely there is something as Titanium Backup.
But still working on it to set it up again as before.

AND, Magisk Manager crashes every time I try to open the Magisk Hide menu. The main screen also says the latest version is v16.0, but my installed version is v17.0. Otherwise seems to be functioning fine.

+1

I can go in and out into the Magisk Hide menu but if select to much or i stay in the menu to long Magisk crashes and my phone then hangs in boot. Only way out is via TWRP and reboot.
(Galaxy S6 7.0)

Last edited:

mddunner

Feb 7, 2017
Quick update from my efforts on the Moto x pure xt1575 - magisk uninstaller fixed the bootloop but I was unable to recover wifi functionality. I performed a factory reset, but the issue persisted. I reflashed the stock nougat rom via fastboot and wifi now works. Flashed magisk 17.1 and all seems well.

TAJ_Rocks

May 25, 2012
Shirdi, PUNE
Quick update from my efforts on the Moto x pure xt1575 - magisk uninstaller fixed the bootloop but I was unable to recover wifi functionality. I performed a factory reset, but the issue persisted. I reflashed the stock nougat rom via fastboot and wifi now works. Flashed magisk 17.1 and all seems well.
You should have gone through my fix for wifi. It could have save your phone from factory reset. Hope its solved so go through pages next time :)

amon-san

Mar 29, 2015
my Galaxy Tab S bootloops on a clean install of the upgrade from v16 to v17.1. i will try to provide information if you tell me what you need
up until v17 things always worked fine

atown305

Feb 7, 2008
So I had trouble installing magisk on my formatted pixel. Kept getting bootloop after installing magisk v17 and v17.1. Didn't matter if I tried installing the zip through TWRP, or using a patched boot image. Still bootloop. What worked for me was enabling ADB debugging and then installing v17.1 through a patched boot image.

Aug 7, 2007
Bangkok
Hello ALL, I have 2 phones a Blackview P10000 and a Ulefone Power 3, both of the phones go into bootloop with anything higher than 13.3 even the latest 17.1 is the same..
Any ideas how to fix so I can have the latest version as I dont see any modules on 13.3

Also

jbd7

Jun 30, 2015
Same here.
I was fine with OOS 5.0.4 on oneplus3, Magisk 16 and the Magisk Manager from last month. This week, I updated the Magisk Manager app, and then Magisk Hide menu would behave weirdly: take ages to load, and black screen when I select or unselected one row (only solution here was to press power button for 15sec.).

I thought flashing Magisk 17.1 over 16 would make Magisk Hide work properly again. But what I got was bootloops.

Therefore I guess the Manager app has problems, not only the flasha le zip.

After the 17.1 debacle (i went straight from 15.3 to 17.1) phone completely wiped.
Luckely there is something as Titanium Backup.
But still working on it to set it up again as before.

+1

I can go in and out into the Magisk Hide menu but if select to much or i stay in the menu to long Magisk crashes and my phone then hangs in boot. Only way out is via TWRP and reboot.
(Galaxy S6 7.0)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This morning, waking up I recieved the notification that a new magisk manager is available. I installed it as usual, except this time my device suddenly was not rooted anymore.
    Si I press the install magisk button that pops up, it flashes magisk, and BAM. Phone restarts, and boot loop.
    The phone's a OP5, android 7.1.1, and I had to do a factory reset twice before it would boot. Even using the magisk uninstaller did yield no results.

How come the phone suddenly got unrooted? Can I safely root it again now? Why wouldn't the first factory reset get it out of boot loop?
    How can I prevent data loss in the future? Help?

Update 1 - Fun fact: After my two factory resets (what it took to reboot, since the uninstaller wouldn't flash right, fml.) and setting the phone up right now, my phone IS rooted with magisk 17.
    So the flashing of magisk v17 worked. It just ****ed my phone so hard it needed a wipe to comprehend the immense power of the Magisk! (Yes, this is a slightly salty hyperbole, fix your updates!)

Update 2 - TimMayle managed to run the uninstaller and re-flashing magisk v17 on TWRP, try this if you have the issue. (While the uninstaller wouldn't work for me, that might be a device specific issue.)

Hello,
    I was on Magisk 16 and probably Manager 5.8.3.
    Magisk 17 wouldn't flash from Magisk Manager. So I did flahs it in TWRP.
    Then I was in bootloop.

In TWRPm I flashed magisk uninstaller to remove it completely and installed Magisk 17.
    Bootloop Gone ! :)
    Tim
    Update 3 - Thanks void74 for another potential procedure that might fix your issues.

I faced this problem too this morning.
    I have a Redmi Note 5 with AOSiP ROM, I don't know if it's the right way to do it, but I solved the bootloop problem this way:

- volume up and then boot to TWRP
    - copied magisk uninstall to phone memory
    - installed magisk uninstall
    - rebooted in fastboot/bootloader mode
    - flashed original boot.img extracted from stock image zip file ("fastboot flash boot boot.img")
    - rebooted to TWRP
    - installed magisk 17.0 zip file
    - rebooted to system, all OK! :)

Only problem is that I lost previous magisk configuration, but it's a snap to reconfigure it! :)

I hope I have saved some lives. :D
    Update 4 - Thank you Shampinger for giving ups a Linux-specific variation on the steps to follow.

Same issue here on Redmi Note 5 global (whyred). Thanks to this thread I could fix it.
    Steps (on Linux):
    1. boot into fastboot (vol down + power)
    2. from folder with your twrp zip run:
    Code:
    sudo fastboot boot twrp-x.x.x-x-whyred.img
    there might be an easier way to boot into recovery without having to use the zip on your computer that I don't know about
    3. copy Magisk uninstaller and Magisk v17 to phone (if not already there)
    4. flash uninstaller zip
    5. go back and flash Magisk v17 zip
    6. reboot

Update 5 - While a fixed version is being perfected, Mangraviti summed up what you should do:

Here is what to do, if you HAVE NOT installed the new version:
    1) Do not update via Magisk Manager.
    2) Do not update via TWRP using the zip you can download via Magisk Manager.
    3) Uninstall Magisk using Magisk uninstaller (ZIP).
    4) Boot to Android.
    5) Reboot to TWRP
    6) Install V17 ZIP via TWRP and boot to Android.

If you HAVE INSTALLED and got a bootloop:
    1) Download the uninstaller ZIP.
    2) Enter TWRP during the bootloop.
    3) Uninstall using the uninstaller ZIP.
    4) Boot to Android.
    5) Download V17.
    6) Reboot to TWRP and flash the V17.
    7) Boot to Android it it should be working.

Update 6 - If you have Wi-Fi issues after update v17, you can attempt what TAJ_Rocks has found out:

Found fix for dead wifi
    Delete this p2p supplicant.conf supplicant made wifi a c#nt:laugh:
    Reboot after deleting
    QheOoNj.png
    Found fix for dead wifi
    Delete this p2p supplicant.conf supplicant made wifi a c#nt:laugh:
    Reboot after deleting
    For anyone with bootloops

Sent from my LGE w5 using XDA Labs
    Also got a bootloop on my Samsung Galaxy S4 jfltexx. Fortunately I took a TWRP backup before this upgrade and was able to restore it.

But I'm also without root due to Magisk Manager not offering any option other than to install Magisk-v17.0(17000).zip

Some say use the uninstaller or uninstaller.zip but where can I find this? Magisk Manager says "Magisk is not installed" and there's no uninstall-like option to be found.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

In "Downloads" you have "Latest uninstaller" go to recovery and flash the zip, that should uninstall magisk.