Bootloop, LG and Farewell

Search This thread

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Well I got a hold of Google. They couldn't find anything based on my IMEI and had me get in touch with LG. I got a hold of LG and according to my IMEI, my Nexus 5X isn't a USA model and apparently they don't fix non USA models. So off to the hardware store I go to buy a heat gun. I'm about to do some surgery on this thing.

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
And just like that, it's alive again. I know it's probably only a matter of time until it dies on me again but damn, it's good to have it back.

Attachments

• IMG_20170720_195700.jpg
    IMG_20170720_195700.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 296
Reactions: Tulsadiver

sanchaz12

Apr 7, 2011
Today I sent mine in for repair as well. But the way it bricked is new to me. After I left home I set Google Maps to share my location with a friend, when I arrived at his place I wanted tot text him. At that point my phone was really slow, like running android 7.0 on a $30 Chinese tablet. I managed to get into the power menu and tapped 'restart'. After the screen went black it didn't come back to life.

Most of the stories I read have the classic 'bootloop' symptoms, but mine did not freeze (only extremely slow) and never powered on again or even display part of the boot screen. Not even the notification-LED lit up when I connected it to the charger.

Anyone else with these symptoms?

Last edited:

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Today I sent mine in for repair as well. But the way it bricked is new to me. After I left home I set Google Maps to share my location with a friend, when I arrived at his place I wanted tot text him. At that point my phone was really slow, like running android 7.0 on a $30 Chinese tablet. I managed to get into the power menu and tapped 'restart'. After the screen went black it didn't come back to life.

Most of the stories I read have the classic 'bootloop' symptoms, but mine did not freeze (only extremely slow) and never powered on again or even display part of the boot screen. Not even the notification-LED lit up when I connected it to the charger.

Anyone else with these symptoms?

Looking back I remember some stuttering and lag leading up to my phone shutting down. It could probably be a sign that it's about to happen.

Reactions: sanchaz12

divvykev

Aug 16, 2012
Chester
Well. Some progress here too.

Decided to give LG a go but as I bought it over ebay they wouldnt entertain any warranty work but gave me their out of warranty people called SBE here in the UK.

Contacted SBE and without any commitment on their behalf the fella said that they would look at it and if its not showing signs of damage and water etc then it should be covered as they have permission to replace faulty motherboards with only postage costs.

So am packing the phone off to them and see what happens. Anybody else experienced this route? Would be worth getting it fixed just to sell the damn thing afterwards.

Phone sent to SBE. Will keep you posted on the progress. Will believe the fix being straight forward and free when I get the phone back working.

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
I got my refurb in today. It looks great, everything was covered like a new device, camera, all the edges had that film covering on them that you have to peel off. Haven't messed with it yet. I don't like to until I get a screen protector on them.

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Well, update on my "fixed" 5X. It does turn on and I can use it for a while but eventually in shuts down and bootloops. I can get it to boot up after shutting it fully down and letting it sit for a bit then powering it back on. Which tells me it probably shuts down from getting too warm. Letting it cool down allows it to get back to normal and boot up again. This is a step better than it was though. Before the heat gun trick, I couldn't get anything out of it. Too bad it wasn't a little more permanent and could last until the end of the year when the next Pixel comes out. I love the 2013 Nexus 5 but it's such an old device now and it shows its age.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

I got my refurb in today. It looks great, everything was covered like a new device, camera, all the edges had that film covering on them that you have to peel off. Haven't messed with it yet. I don't like to until I get a screen protector on them.

I'm jealous. Glad you got it worked out though

sanchaz12

Apr 7, 2011
Well, in my opinion the Nexus line always has been targeted towards hardware and software tinkerers. But I think LG has gone a bit too far on this one I think.;)

pbanj

Dec 22, 2011
My wife's got hit with this crap a few weeks back. Google refused to fix it. Contacted lg and within about 10-15 min I had a label to print. Shipped it out a couple days later because it was the weekend. Got it back in about 10 days. Has been working fine since, but I still don't trust it. After the way Google handled this they lost us as customers. Once the phone is paid off I'm dropping fi and moving her to another carrier.

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
]

I'm jealous. Glad you got it worked out though

I think it was just luck of the draw. This guy I chatted with was so happy and excited about his grandmother's birthday the next day I think he went out on a limb and did everything he could to make me happy as well. He promised I wasn't leaving without a smile on my face. That should be everyone's experience as we pay a lot for these phones.
This phone has rebooted unexpectedly a couple of times but maybe because it was on the April update when I got it.

divvykev

Aug 16, 2012
Chester
I think it was just luck of the draw. This guy I chatted with was so happy and excited about his grandmother's birthday the next day I think he went out on a limb and did everything he could to make me happy as well. .

Maybe we should sort getting his Grandmother a lifetime membership to XDA to show other customer service people that it's worthe being helpful :D

Seriously though it is amazing how hit and miss customer service can be.

divvykev

Aug 16, 2012
Chester
Typical. Royal Mail here in the UK have "lost" my phone and it never got to get sorted.

We will see now how much compensation I will get. Was going to sell it on anyway.

Cave_diver

Feb 15, 2015
My 5X, purchased in April 16, started boot looping two weeks ago. Sent it to a repair facility this week as it is still in the 2 year EU warranty period.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

atetc

Nov 21, 2011
To anyone who's interested, I made an experimental fix for the Nexus 5X here It's based off of my 6P fix which worked, but I don't have a Nexus 5X so I can't test it out.

Your solution is working well, I had this issue 2 month, and my friend sent me this link, I flashed - it didn't work. Then I decided to try do it step-by-step with launching OS (custom boot + launch + custom TRWP + launch + custom kernel) - and it finally fixed phone.

Now I use my 4 low-cores only (2 high-cores are disabled). And I disabled animations in developer menu for better performance, but UI still glitch. And of course I can't use another version of ROM (it would be grateful if you will prepare the same solution for Android O)

But anyway, thank you for this solution, it is good opportunity to use or cell.

divvykev

Aug 16, 2012
Chester
Well well well. Having thought that the royal mail here in the uk had lost my phone as there was no record of it having reached the company fixing it my 5x turned up today complete with a new motherboard and boots up all well and good. Asll sorted free of charge despite being out of warranty.

So you guys in the UK it is possible to get it sorted even if your out of warranty :)

Straight on eBay as am happy with my Moto G5 at the moment.

See this post for what I had to do to get it sorted

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=73091042&postcount=14

Last edited:

ashokabs

Mar 9, 2011
New Delhi
Replacement motherboard from lg

I had a similar episode. Four days ago my 5X boot looped. I tried the 4 cores solution but it did not work for more than an hour. Thereafter it was totally dead. I charged the phone for an hour and even then it would not startup or go into bootloader. There was no sign at all. I put it in the freezer for 2 hours and then it started up in boot loop. Looks like all the cores are cooked. I bought the phone from Google in Apr 2016 in India so it's out of warranty. However, I got Google support to call me and explained my problem. At least I had a phone that would show the boot screen. After one call back and chat support I got an email that I should take it to the LG Repair Centre near my house. Yesterday I took it there and without any argument or resistance they agreed to replace the motherboard. I will get it back early next week. I did ask the agent how I could be sure that this motherboard would not get cooked again. He said that they have made some manufacturing changes so this should not happen. I don't know how true that is. I will have to run the phone and see what happens once I get it back. Only downside is that they only had 16GB motherboards - or so they say. The 32 GB one's apparently will come earliest in middle or late Sep. I have agreed to take the 16GB motherboard as I can save most of my data on the cloud - have a large data allowance and good 4G speed. Am writing this as it might be worth taking it to the LG support alongwith the invoice giving the data of purchase and seeking a replacement motherboard. I think most importantly they will want to see that it is in boot loop so that phone should at least go to the boot screen.

Well, it's happened on Monday. Was using my phone and bloop....screen goes off and that's the last time it worked. Gradually got to the stage where it wouldnt even loop but my 5x is dead. RIP.

So, being out of warranty and all I sent an email to LG to see how much it would cost to repair. Reply came back with a series of questions but no "reply to" address. That's one way of hiding from the problem I suppose. For a company to try and avoid their responsibilities for a screamingly obvious hardware flaw is way out of order. At least Samsung had the guts to put their hands up.

Sharing this as part of the grieveing process in a way for the old Nexus devices. Had a 4, a 7 and then a 5x. The Pixels came out but when I saw their price tags and the setups it just reeked of apple (excuse the bad swearing language). Very sad really for someone who rarely went a whole week without the simple process of changing rom or setup or kernel but that was the beauty of the Nexus ethos.

Since Monday evening I have been the owner of a Moto G5 Plus. Only charged it three times since getting it. Ads are part blocked in stock, it's nippy and am moving on with my life post nexus. Trouble is it's still on 7.0 but not a big issue for me.

Anyway, thanks guys and gals for the good times. LEarnt a lot about android, poor customer service and build quality from LG and made some good friends (and enemies) on here.

Keep happy :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My 5X also died from last Sunday.... I sent my phone to authorized service (Procordia in Greece). I'm waiting now when the phone will be fixed (changing motherboard).
    So I know you already moved on to the G5 plus, but you should see about getting it repaired. Then you could always keep on hand as a .spare device. Mine bootlooped (a second time) well out of warranty but I filled out the RMA request on LG's website (didn't talk to anyone, just like I did the first time) and they fixed it a second time for free. I don't recall how long they did it for, but they extended the warranty

edit: should point out I'm in the US and it might not go as well in other countries
    You should try contacting LG via phone and that might work better. The 5X warranty has been extended to 18 months on a case by case basis since this is a hardware problem. If they won't fix it, all you did was spend time on the call, but if you are eligible to have it fixed, you'd have a spare phone.
    Who did you go through? Google or LG? I bought mine from someone off Craigslist but haven't tried asking for a replacement since I've never had any type of warranty. Did you have to show any kind of receipt of buying it or anything or did they just simply say "Ok" and send you a refurbished one? Also, did you call them or email them?

I went through Google. All they did was ask for and run the lME number. I did not expect anything to come of it but I thought it was worth a try. I chatted online.
    And just like that, it's alive again. I know it's probably only a matter of time until it dies on me again but damn, it's good to have it back.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone