Bootloop on the latest stock global firmware (V10.3.1.0.PEIMIXM)

Search This thread

rw-r-r_0644

Aug 24, 2017
Hi, I've tried to update my Global Redmi Note 5 Pro's firmware for a few days now to allow usage with the latest pie custom roms, but all the attempts to get my phone booting on the latest versions seem to have failed so far.

Everytime the phone either gets stuck on the boot logo or the loading screen (for more than an hour, so I assume it is bootlooping). I am not sure on what could be causing those issues, though they seem to have appened to a few other people on the miui forum. The phone does not get bricked by installing the latest firmware (fastboot and recovery still work), but it only appears to boot after reflashing oreo firmwares. Pie only seemed to work on custom roms relying on an oreo firmware.

Did those issue happen to anyone else, or has anyone found a solution?

So far what I've tried was:
- Installing the a pie firmware from twrp (from xiaomifirmwareupdater's github), installing a pie compatible twrp, formatting the data and cache partititon, then flashing a custom rom -> stuck on bootlogo
- Reformatting data, cache, vendor and system partitions to make sure they are not somehow damaged, then installing the latest firmware, twrp pie recovery, and a custom rom (retried with more than one custom roms) -> stuck on bootlogo
- Installing the latest stock miui pie fastboot firmware with flash_all.sh (should flash all device partitions) -> stuck on miui bootanimation for more than an hour
- Formatting Data/Factory reset -> still stuck on MIUI bootanimation
- Installing the latest stock MIUI Oreo fastboot firmware with flash_all.sh -> works flawlessy
- Installing any Oreo custom rom -> works flawlessy

So far I've not managed to take any logcat (adb does not detect any device, the issue probably happens before adbd starts running). I am not sure on what could cause those issues.
(I was wondering if it could be related to the latest kernel, though the fact that miui reaches the bootanimation means that it's at least somewhat working; another unlikely possibility might be an hardware issue, but then why'd it work on oreo?)

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:

arunmohan16

Sep 23, 2015
With miui pie, older boot-loader wont work. Infact you would need pie recovery and pie rom to boot. You could try fastboot flashing oreo rom and older rom will work. try to flash arb v4 rom or device will get bricked.

Reactions: rw-r-r_0644

rw-r-r_0644

Aug 24, 2017
With miui pie, older boot-loader wont work. Infact you would need pie recovery and pie rom to boot. You could try fastboot flashing oreo rom and older rom will work. try to flash arb v4 rom or device will get bricked.
Thanks for the info; shouldn't the bootloader also get updated when fastboot flashing the latest pie firmware? (xbl.elf and abl.elf get flashed, bl looks like an abbreviation for bootloader)

Happend to me once.
What I have done:
Flash latest oreo (or pie for better sake) by miui flash. Remember to match your ARB value.
Go to pie via updater (if you don't care ARB thing. I don't know if fwless pie will work). Don't install recovery now. Let it boot first.
Load pie recovery via fastboot then flash recovery via recovery.
Thanks, I just tried to update from an oreo miui firmware via ota as suggested. Unfortunately the result appears to be the same; the phone is stuck on the bootlogo forever and won't boot on a miui pie fw.

I have the same problems. Pie fw has not been use by dev. So please wait some future rom update
You mean xiaomi/miui devs? But yeah, I guess waiting for some future update is the only thing I can do for now.

Last edited:

SunilSuni

Jul 5, 2017
Bengaluru
Is it your device is china variant or global variant ??
If your mobile is china variant follow below steps.

Flash China Oreo Fastboot rom using MiFlash Software and then flash China Pie fastboot ROM (Later you can flash global android pie fastboot rom but do not lock bootloader)

If your device global avriant, follow below steps
flash 10.3.1 Oreo fastboot ROM and then flash 10.3.1 android pie fastboot rom (or you can update to android pie using updater method)

this should resolve your issue. for more info visit en.miui.com/a-234.html

rw-r-r_0644

Aug 24, 2017

Flash China Oreo Fastboot rom using MiFlash Software and then flash China Pie fastboot ROM (Later you can flash global android pie fastboot rom but do not lock bootloader)

flash 10.3.1 Oreo fastboot ROM and then flash 10.3.1 android pie fastboot rom (or you can update to android pie using updater method)

It's a Global variant bought from an official Xiaomi Store in italy, it always worked with global roms.
Unfortunately I also already tried to flash an oreo fastboot (global) rom, then update to pie from there, but the result was the same, stuck on bootlogo.

---
About 10 minutes ago I got it to boot on Pie for about 2 seconds on the setup after another reflash, then it crashed and turned off (and bootlooped).
Idk, I'm starting to think that if it only happens to me it might be an hardware issue. Maybe some blocks of the eMMC are damaged, and the issue only happens in Pie due to the slightly larger firmware images flashed to the various partitions; by coincidence more important data might end up on corrupted blocks.
I'll have to verify by dumping the partitions some times and verifying the data/checking for coherency between the dumps

Reactions: floater3

floater3

Nov 27, 2018
It's a Global variant bought from an official Xiaomi Store in italy, it always worked with global roms.
Unfortunately I also already tried to flash an oreo fastboot (global) rom, then update to pie from there, but the result was the same, stuck on bootlogo.

---
About 10 minutes ago I got it to boot on Pie for about 2 seconds on the setup after another reflash, then it crashed and turned off (and bootlooped).
Idk, I'm starting to think that if it only happens to me it might be an hardware issue. Maybe some blocks of the eMMC are damaged, and the issue only happens in Pie due to the slightly larger firmware images flashed to the various partitions; by coincidence more important data might end up on corrupted blocks.
I'll have to verify by dumping the partitions some times and verifying the data/checking for coherency between the dumps
Hello! You're not the only one facing this.
I also have Redmi Note 5 global model, and I'm facing the very same problem. I've tried everything, just like you...
I don't see many people with this problem but I found other 3-4 with the same problem: on Mi Community forum and in some Facebook groups. No one is having success... No one is able to fix this!

I'm worried, because as we are not too much facing this problem, maybe Xiaomi is not knowing that this is happening.

Contact me if you want to know more, and maybe together we can make anything! :) Let's hope for the best!

Reactions: rw-r-r_0644

shub4m

Feb 19, 2013
gurdaspur
www.facebook.com
I also have Redmi Note 5 global model, and I'm facing the very same problem. I've tried everything, just like you...
I don't see many people with this problem but I found other 3-4 with the same problem: on Mi Community forum and in some Facebook groups. No one is having success... No one is able to fix this!

I'm worried, because as we are not too much facing this problem, maybe Xiaomi is not knowing that this is happening.

Contact me if you want to know more, and maybe together we can make anything! :) Let's hope for the best!

same thing happening to me also tried everything

rtm2000

Mar 6, 2017

Ok...you all are not alone it seems.
Couple of months back I faced this issue but after struggling for a day I managed to boot into miui latest (global) after which I found my EFS+Modem partitions corrupted (ie. unknown baseband,no wifi or imei )...I guess data corruption is the cause.I went to the service center, they told me it was data corruption and the entire Motherboard had to be replaced...they quoted a price of ~Rs 8000 (Incl. GST ) for the repair...I am since then stuck without a phone :(
Edit: BTW...I bypassed the bootloop by flashing the latest global recovery rom through orange fox...(not recommended cause it might cause you to lose wifi and imei)..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the same problems. Pie fw has not been use by dev. So please wait some future rom update
    Happend to me once.
    What I have done:
    Flash latest oreo (or pie for better sake) by miui flash. Remember to match your ARB value.
    Go to pie via updater (if you don't care ARB thing. I don't know if fwless pie will work). Don't install recovery now. Let it boot first.
    Load pie recovery via fastboot then flash recovery via recovery.

---

---

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone