Bootloop problem and no valid slot to boot

Search This thread

yaconsult

Nov 13, 2013
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I update my unlocked and rooted with magisk pixel 4a 5g every month and have never had a problem. After updating a couple of magisk modules and rebooting, the phone was bootlooping. So I tried flashing the stock boot.img extracted from the latest full rom. I had already installed this month's OTA. It complained about no valid slot to boot so I flashed the boot image to both slots.

I tried reflashing the update but that didn't fix it. So I tried flashing the full rom with flash-all.sh without "-w" thinking that would fix it without wiping. But it's still unable to boot and eventually ends up back at fastboot with "no valid slot to boot".

Is there anything else that I can try? Do I need to wipe it and do another flash-all but include wiping, or a factory reset from recovery?
I am attaching the log from flash-all.sh without wiping - does it indicate any problems? Are those "does not contain" errors normal?

It tried to boot several times and now it's sitting at the fastboot prompt with "no valid slot to boot".

Attachments

• full flash log file.txt
    7.4 KB · Views: 14

yaconsult

Nov 13, 2013
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Well, I tried many things all day without success including contacting pixel support and they said that if factory reset didn't work, there was nothing they could do but replace the phone and so asked for the information to do so. I gave it to them but decided to try doing a flash-all one last time, and it worked! So the phone is now restoring the last automatic backup and I will put magisk and the modules I had back on and see how it goes.

larsx5

Nov 24, 2020
Google Pixel 4a
Well, I tried many things all day without success including contacting pixel support and they said that if factory reset didn't work, there was nothing they could do but replace the phone and so asked for the information to do so. I gave it to them but decided to try doing a flash-all one last time, and it worked! So the phone is now restoring the last automatic backup and I will put magisk and the modules I had back on and see how it goes.
Hi, could you please tell me what exactly steps have you done? I have a similar issue after rooting my pixel 4a. Thanks

Last edited:

yaconsult

Nov 13, 2013
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I used the flash-all script that is included in the factory rom. So I downloaded that, unzipped it and ran the flash-all script. Note that if you run it without removing the -w argument that your phone will be wiped before flashing. In may case, I had already done a factory reset so I just let it do the wipe too. The first time I used flash-all I got an error near the end. But when I ran it again a few days later, it worked and the phone has been fine since.