• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Borked Razer 1 badly, device does not accept slot settings, need to reformat fstab...

Search This thread

the_nanners

Aug 4, 2019
Long story short, I softbricked a Razer 1 by using Razer's own flash_all batch/shell script. At this point I can't determine exactly when the "oh ****" happened, but I've tried a lot of things and have been asking in the Newbie sticky post as well. Basically, I have the OEM factory defaults archive which supposedly will at least get a recovery partition and image back so I can move forward, but I only have fastboot/Download Mode. I can issue nearly any command I've tried to it, but the biggest issue right now is that it won't recognize or respond or accept any slot changes and a "fastboot getvar slot" returns an empty field. When I try setting the slot to a or b, or when I just do --set-active=other, I get an error that this device does not support slots. Obviously that's bad because this device does indeed us slot partitioning and has no true recovery partition.

What should I try? I have mkbootimg, abootimg, a Windows or Linux box with each able to manipulate Android devices and I even have Android Studio setup on my Windows PC. Magisk looks promising since I understand the concepts of tar and cpio as a linux admin, but obviously that's meaningless until I can boot into some kind of recovery. The device does still know its serial number, so I'm assuming the firmware flashed manufacturer stuff and hopefully any kind of PGP or cert or key is all still intact and untouched.

EDIT UPDATE:

< waiting for any device >
(bootloader) unlocked:yes
(bootloader) off-mode-charge:1
(bootloader) charger-screen-enabled:1
(bootloader) battery-soc-ok:yes
(bootloader) battery-voltage:4127
(bootloader) version-baseband:
(bootloader) version-bootloader:
(bootloader) variant:MSM UFS
(bootloader) partition-type:userdata:ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:userdata: 0xC72DD7000
(bootloader) partition-type:system_a:ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:system_a: 0xE0000000
(bootloader) has-slot:modem:yes
(bootloader) has-slot:system:yes
(bootloader) current-slot:a
(bootloader) has-slot:boot:yes
(bootloader) slot-retry-count:b:0
(bootloader) slot-unbootable:b:no
(bootloader) slot-successful:b:no
(bootloader) slot-retry-count:a:0
(bootloader) slot-unbootable:a:yes
(bootloader) slot-successful:a:no
(bootloader) slot-count:2
(bootloader) slot-suffixes:_a,_b,
(bootloader) secure:yes
(bootloader) serialno:181812V00402779
(bootloader) product:cheryl
(bootloader) max-download-size:0x20000000
(bootloader) kernel:uefi
(bootloader) version:0.0
all:
Finished. Total time: 0.032s

That is now my current getvar output, and it looks fine, but now I cannot set_active to _b and after the reboot, it seems to revert back to slot a automatically, like it is trying to enter recovery, but cannot.

Last edited:

the_nanners

Aug 4, 2019
Replying to bump and update:

Several attempts at running flash_all.bat from Razer, I can get as far as the first reboot in the script before it hangs and no longer takes input. I think that's because the stupid script isn't properly setting the active slot and it tries to flash partitions on the active slot (slot a in this case). So I am now going to manually run each command, but alternate active slots each time and see. This is new output of "getvar all"

< waiting for any device >
(bootloader) unlocked:yes
(bootloader) off-mode-charge:1
(bootloader) charger-screen-enabled:1
(bootloader) battery-soc-ok:yes
(bootloader) battery-voltage:4127
(bootloader) version-baseband:
(bootloader) version-bootloader:
(bootloader) variant:MSM UFS
(bootloader) partition-type:userdata:ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:userdata: 0xC72DD7000
(bootloader) partition-type:system_a:ext4