• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Bought 8GB device from Online Marketplace (Taiwan CSC) - Seeking advice

Search This thread

Ledzee

Jan 14, 2022
There are different CSC for your country but BTU should be fine with UK carrier free phone.

I don't think you should waist your time with the seal as obviously this is due to the screen protection and as "WARRANTY VOID : 0x0", but do as you wish...

Other clues to know if there were an attempt to root this phone : from the Download mode you should see :

- CURRENT BINARY : Samsung Official
- OEM LOCK : ON
- WARRANTY VOID : 0x0

Then all is fine !

But if you have :

- CURRENT BINARY : "Custom (0xxxx)
- OEM LOCK : OFF (U)
- WARRANTY VOID : 0x1

Then you are in trouble...

BTW can you confirm the actual CSC ?
I have all that in Download mode - so there has been no root access?

The CSC is A528BBRI1AUL2 which appears to be the 1 December 21 security update (I installed this because I thought it would be safer to connect to WiFi with the latest version).

Edit: what can happen if I keep the Taiwan CSC? You said can be problems with my phone call plan??

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010
I have all that in Download mode - so there has been no root access?

The CSC is A528BBRI1AUL2 which appears to be the 1 December 21 security update (I installed this because I thought it would be safer to connect to WiFi with the latest version).

Edit: what can happen if I keep the Taiwan CSC? You said can be problems with my phone call plan??

If this is this one :

Then indeed no root access !!!

A528BBRI1AUL2 : is NOT the CSC. It should be 3 Letters or 2 letters with a number as BTU is the UK CSC...
Should be in the "Carrier software version" or something like that as I don't have an English firmware version.

About keeping Taiwan CSC, I said could be problem with your phone call plan as your actual UK carrier may think you are calling from Taïwan and may charge you extra fees... lol

This is just a hypothesis, a guess...

But come on, you have all the steps and tools to do this safely so don't be so scary... ;)

Reactions: Ledzee

Ledzee

Jan 14, 2022
If this is this one :

Then indeed no root access !!!

A528BBRI1AUL2 : is NOT the CSC. It should be 3 Letters or 2 letters with a number as BTU is the UK CSC...
Should be in the "Carrier software version" or something like that as I don't have an English firmware version.

About keeping Taiwan CSC, I said could be problem with your phone call plan as your actual UK carrier may think you are calling from Taïwan and may charge you extra fees... lol

This is just a hypothesis, a guess...

But come on, you have all the steps and tools to do this safely so don't be so scary... ;)
CSC is BRI (A528BBRI1AUL2)

I will post here if I decide to flash BTU CSC. I can't find any information of someone who flashed BTU on BRI device, so I am worried that it might cause issues. I am a n00b so I don't know what the problems can be.

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010

I will post here if I decide to flash BTU CSC. I can't find any information of someone who flashed BTU on BRI device, so I am worried that it might cause issues. I am a n00b so I don't know what the problems can be.

BRI is indeed the Taïwan CSC.

Most people coming here on XDA flash different firmwares from different countries when an update come earlier.
Then as I told you the first time I flashed a French firmware on an Australian device to convert it as a french one. Then I mostly flash security updates from Germany keeping my French CSC because this country receive the update very early.
In your case, you won't have to flash any firmware every months as your device is not rooted so you will receive your updates via OTA !

Any how do it as you feel, but if you keep your Taiwan firmware, check out your carrier bill every months... ;)

Good luck !

You shouldn't be too worried about switching firmware, as long as you're doing it the right way. There might be one or two small things you'll need to set when you switch firmwares due to different configs, but you should be good to go.

Odin only flashes the firmware if it sees that everything is set right, otherwise the firmware won't be flashed which virtually removes most troubles you would otherwise face in more universal flash tools.

But do it when you feel like it, watch plenty of videos on how to do it so that you know exactly how the process goes on.

Other than that, the others have pretty much told you everything there is to know. I wouldn't worry about the broken seals since the phone looks to be on official software with Knox intact. I would flash it with a clean firmware though just to be 100% that there no nasty on it!

Edit: Since you are a newbie to this, make sure you get the right firmware for your phone. The A52 has so many variants, the A525F, A525M, A526B, A526U1, A528B and there might be more. Make sure you know your's by looking for the Model Number in the About Phone section at the foot of the settings app.

Ledzee

Jan 14, 2022
You shouldn't be too worried about switching firmware, as long as you're doing it the right way. There might be one or two small things you'll need to set when you switch firmwares due to different configs, but you should be good to go.

Odin only flashes the firmware if it sees that everything is set right, otherwise the firmware won't be flashed which virtually removes most troubles you would otherwise face in more universal flash tools.

But do it when you feel like it, watch plenty of videos on how to do it so that you know exactly how the process goes on.

Other than that, the others have pretty much told you everything there is to know. I wouldn't worry about the broken seals since the phone looks to be on official software with Knox intact. I would flash it with a clean firmware though just to be 100% that there no nasty on it!

Edit: Since you are a newbie to this, make sure you get the right firmware for your phone. The A52 has so many variants, the A525F, A525M, A526B, A526U1, A528B and there might be more. Make sure you know your's by looking for the Model Number in the About Phone section at the foot of the settings app.
The full model name is SM-A528BZKIBRI. How do I know if a particular CSC will be compatible?

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010
The full model name is SM-A528BZKIBRI. How do I know if a particular CSC will be compatible?

When you use Frija, for the Model name you just have to type SM-A528B and for the CSC, type BTU, then click on Check Update. it will show you the latest firmware available. Simply click on Download and then put it in the folder of your choice.
It may take a while depending on your internet speed. You will find a zip file with 5 files inside. So you just have to unzip it, before you can use PC Odin to flash them.
In you case, you have to use the CSC_OMC_XXXXXX and not the HOME_CSC_XXXXX as you want to convert the BRI CSC to BTU CSC.

Ledzee

Jan 14, 2022
When you use Frija, for the Model name you just have to type SM-A528B and for the CSC, type BTU, then click on Check Update. it will show you the latest firmware available. Simply click on Download and then put it in the folder of your choice.
It may take a while depending on your internet speed. You will find a zip file with 5 files inside. So you just have to unzip it, before you can use PC Odin to flash them.
In you case, you have to use the CSC_OMC_XXXXXX and not the HOME_CSC_XXXXX as you want to convert the BRI CSC to BTU CSC.
Thanks. So I can type any region's CSC as long as I put the model as SM-A528B and the files will be compatible?

Doesn't matter that BRI isn't in the same multi-csc (OXM) that BTU is in?

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010
Thanks. So I can type any region's CSC as long as I put the model as SM-A528B and the files will be compatible?

Doesn't matter that BRI isn't in the same multi-csc (OXM) that BTU is in?

NOPE, as all CSC won't be compatible as all countries aren't using the same network frequencies and VoLTE or VoWifi aren't supported everywhere and some frequencies won't be compatible and thus won't work !

One time I downloaded and flashed an Indian firmware to get phone call recorder function and my french carrier charged me different SMS I didn't send myself !!! ^^

So I had to flash back a local firmware to get rid of this problem !!! ^^

Ledzee

Jan 14, 2022
NOPE, as all CSC won't be compatible as all countries aren't using the same network frequencies and VoLTE or VoWifi aren't supported everywhere and some frequencies won't be compatible and thus won't work !

One time I downloaded and flashed an Indian firmware to get phone call recorder function and my french carrier charged me different SMS I didn't send myself !!! ^^

I am confused haha. So how do I know that BTU is compatible on my device?

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010
:LOL: haha. How do you know though?

Also, is it a problem that I downloaded the December Security Update already? (Now factory reset just takes it back to December update, not older).

I'm on XDA for over 10 years and I always flashed all my devices by myself and tested with different means and with different ways to get sure I have full control on my devices.
I won't describe my long experience in mobiles, technical and computing domains and I feel confident enough about what I say.

You started your thread in asking for some information and for asking help for your device. I spent a long, long time with you to explain all the processes and I guess I have been also very patient with you, more than with any others... ^^

If you flash your device with a BTU firmware with my instructions I'll still be here in case you need more help to solve any potential issues or if you need to go any further.

If you don't trust me, then we are done and stay with your Taiwanese firmware !

Another solution is you pay me an airplane ticket to your country, a room in a hotel and a fee we can determine together and I will do everything to setup your device... :p lol

These variations are VERY specific, most countries will use the same bands. I've flash French, Turkey, British, UAE and maybe more that I don't remember on the same phone with no such issues. Indian firmware is one of the finicky ones as they use certain bands that other countries don't use.

At this point, we've clarified it to the OP as much as possible. You either flash it or you don't, to your personal preference :)
If you don't feel confortable doing it, then watch some videos about how to flash a phone with Odin and make sure you know the process from start to end by heart.

If you need any more clarification, don't hesitate to reply, I'll clarify your doubts as far as possible.

Ledzee

Jan 14, 2022
Sorry I didn't meant to offend, I just thought there would be some resource that you were referring to for answers.

For example, you guys know that Indian firmware can be a problem, but I have no idea! I guess you also know that Taiwan and UK firmware do not have such issues, and so you say it will not be a problem?

I will probably try flash BTU today.

Ledzee

Jan 14, 2022
These variations are VERY specific, most countries will use the same bands. I've flash French, Turkey, British, UAE and maybe more that I don't remember on the same phone with no such issues. Indian firmware is one of the finicky ones as they use certain bands that other countries don't use.

At this point, we've clarified it to the OP as much as possible. You either flash it or you don't, to your personal preference :)
If you don't feel confortable doing it, then watch some videos about how to flash a phone with Odin and make sure you know the process from start to end by heart.

If you need any more clarification, don't hesitate to reply, I'll clarify your doubts as far as possible.
and thank you for your time! I appreciate your expertise :D

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010
That's not really the truth as most countries use different frequency bands including within the same country depending on the phone carriers.

Here is an example of what we have in France with 4G/LTE:

Orange Mobile : (700 Mhz *), 800 Mhz, 1800 MHz, 2100 MHz and 2600 MHz
Bouygues Mobile : (700 Mhz *), 800 Mhz, (900 MHz *), 1800 MHz and 2600 MHz
Free Mobile : 700 MHz, 1800 MHz and 2600 MHz
SFR Mobile : (700 MHz *), 800 MHz, 1800 MHz, 2100 MHz, 2600 MHz

BUT, it's not because they own these frequency bands that they use them all as Free Mobile use mostly the *700 MHz frequency band, when the other carriers don't (or very few) and the 700 MHz is used in very few countries. 900 MHz is also mostly not used around the world unless aggregated with another band.This is the same problem with some other frequency bands but I don't have much details...
So depending on your own carrier the download and upload rate may vary a lot and so the quality !

Now, back to Taiwan and U.K and for what I know :

Taiwan : 700 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800+ MHz, 2600 MHz
U.K : 800 MHz, 1800 MHz, 2100 MHz, 2600 MHz

There is mostly no problem with the hardware and more specifically with Samsung, so the firmware can locked down some frequency bands and open up some others depending witch one you use. This may also depend on your phone carrier...

Conclusion : with the Taiwan firmware you are restricted to the 1800(+) and 2600 MHz when you have more choices with the UK firmware... ^^
There will also have an impact if you travel in other countries...

Here is a list and map of frequency bands compatibility all around the world :

You can also click on a country to check the frequency bands availability and compatibility in each country.

EDIT : here is a link for direct access to the global map, world map !

Last edited:
  • Love

Ledzee

Jan 14, 2022
That's not really the truth as most countries use different frequency bands including within the same country depending on the phone carriers.

BUT, it's not because they own these frequency bands that they use them all as Free Mobile use mostly the *700 MHz frequency band, when the other carriers don't (or very few) and the 700 MHz is used in very few countries. 900 MHz is also mostly not used around the world unless aggregated with another band.This is the same problem with some other frequency bands but I don't have much details...
So depending on your own carrier the download and upload rate may vary a lot and so the quality !

There is mostly no problem with the hardware and more specifically with Samsung, so the firmware can locked down some frequency bands and open up some others depending witch one you use. This may also depend on your phone carrier...

Conclusion : with the Taiwan firmware you are restricted to the 1800(+) and 2600 MHz when you have more choices with the UK firmware... ^^

You can also click on a country to check the frequency bands availability and compatibility in each country.
Thank you!! Great reply!

EDIT : here is a link for direct access to the global map, world map !

To my personal knowledge all bands are present on all phones. I don't personally think it wise or economical for any OEM to include a set of bands for one country and not another on its phone. The phone itself can use any bands, it is the software that will limit the use of certain bands. The OP is in the UK and wants to flash the British/BTU software on their phone which has the Taiwanese software on it. That would make it so that he has the cleanest software possible on their phone.

And I feel like I should say this. This thread has dragged on a lot but I feel like this is quite constructive. In no way am I a professional in this matter so if I make a wrong assumption, please do correct me. I've never really cared about what software I have on my phone as long as it is clean.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Arobase40 said let you know the app that saved me, here is the link to it on the playstore:

Hope it helps. You can only change the csc with it if you are rooted though. Tap the three bars menu in upper left corner and select other tools....
    To my personal knowledge all bands are present on all phones. I don't personally think it wise or economical for any OEM to include a set of bands for one country and not another on its phone. The phone itself can use any bands, it is the software that will limit the use of certain bands. The OP is in the UK and wants to flash the British/BTU software on their phone which has the Taiwanese software on it. That would make it so that he has the cleanest software possible on their phone.

And I feel like I should say this. This thread has dragged on a lot but I feel like this is quite constructive. In no way am I a professional in this matter so if I make a wrong assumption, please do correct me. I've never really cared about what software I have on my phone as long as it is clean.

In the past most Chinese phones sold in the grey market, the 800 MHz band was missing and it was a real problem when used in Europe. Should not be true anymore. But most OEM are creating specific models with restricted modem for specific market such as China, India, probably Africa also... and thus if they can save some cents on every single phone that means more profit for the company... ^^
    In the same vein with some brands including in the International market the 700 MHz and the 900 MHz bands are still missing because they don't care about the few countries which use them and a cheaper modem is good enough.
    New problems come now with 5G frequency bands and more specifically with milliwave bands and you should guess why... ^^

Thanks!

So I should flash stock firmware? Or you think I can use it without flashing?

better flash a stock firmware as we never know the consequence of Taiwanese CSC specially with your phone call plan... ^^

Then, you'll be sure your phone will be fully clean. You have to do this only one time !
    I guess I will leave it with XEO and wait until I am back in UK to test all features...

Goodbye for now :)