Question Bought 8GB device from Online Marketplace (Taiwan CSC) - Seeking advice

Search This thread

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010
To my personal knowledge all bands are present on all phones. I don't personally think it wise or economical for any OEM to include a set of bands for one country and not another on its phone. The phone itself can use any bands, it is the software that will limit the use of certain bands. The OP is in the UK and wants to flash the British/BTU software on their phone which has the Taiwanese software on it. That would make it so that he has the cleanest software possible on their phone.

And I feel like I should say this. This thread has dragged on a lot but I feel like this is quite constructive. In no way am I a professional in this matter so if I make a wrong assumption, please do correct me. I've never really cared about what software I have on my phone as long as it is clean.

In the past most Chinese phones sold in the grey market, the 800 MHz band was missing and it was a real problem when used in Europe. Should not be true anymore. But most OEM are creating specific models with restricted modem for specific market such as China, India, probably Africa also... and thus if they can save some cents on every single phone that means more profit for the company... ^^
In the same vein with some brands including in the International market the 700 MHz and the 900 MHz bands are still missing because they don't care about the few countries which use them and a cheaper modem is good enough.
New problems come now with 5G frequency bands and more specifically with milliwave bands and you should guess why... ^^

Ledzee

Jan 14, 2022
In the past most Chinese phones sold in the grey market, the 800 MHz band was missing and it was a real problem when used in Europe. Should not be true anymore. But most OEM are creating specific models with restricted modem for specific market such as China, India, probably Africa also... and thus if they can save some cents on every single phone that means more profit for the company... ^^
In the same vein with some brands including in the International market the 700 MHz and the 900 MHz bands are still missing because they don't care about the few countries which use them and a cheaper modem is good enough.
New problems come now with 5G frequency bands and more specifically with milliwave bands and you should guess why... ^^
hey, so I flashed the BTU files I got from Frija, but instead of giving me a BTU CSC, I got a polish CSC (XEO/XEO/XEO/BRI in the Service provider software version in Software information).

What should I do?

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010
hey, so I flashed the BTU files I got from Frija, but instead of giving me a BTU CSC, I got a polish CSC (XEO/XEO/XEO/BRI in the Service provider software version in Software information).

What should I do?

Dammit ! Samsung is really messing up everything !!!

I got the same and also others.... Actually there should be no consequence as Poland and UK are sharing exactly the same Frequency Bands and with the roaming system...
But since the Brexit we never know... ^^

What you can do for now is going to your Settings, Connections, Mobile networks, Network Mode, you should see "5G/4G/3G/2G, etc..." and click on it. on top you should see "Roaming data" (or something like that) and be sure this option is unchecked !

Disable Wifi and see if you have access to the Google Play Store or use any apps that need data et see if they work correctly...
Then enable Wifi back to be sure you're not using to much of your data plan.

If you don't mind paying a small fee, I can ask @bobfrantic which app he uses to change the CSC. He told me he paid 5€...

Reactions: Ledzee

Ledzee

Jan 14, 2022
Disable Wifi and see if you have access to the Google Play Store or use any apps that need data et see if they work correctly...
Then enable Wifi back to be sure you're not using to much of your data plan.
I can't do this now as I am currently roaming (I flew to Switzerland yesterday).

Why do you think the Frija firmware defaulted to Poland?

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010
I can't do this now as I am currently roaming (I flew to Switzerland yesterday).

Why do you think the Frija firmware defaulted to Poland?

So not a big deal for now....

I don't know yet if the issue comes from Frija or from Samsung...

I downloaded a Samsung firmware from another source : SamFrew and took the whole night to get it downloaded, so I will try to know who is the culprit.

BTW, are you in Switzerland for skiing ??? :ROFLMAO:

Ledzee

Jan 14, 2022
So not a big deal for now....

I don't know yet if the issue comes from Frija or from Samsung...

I downloaded a Samsung firmware from another source : SamFrew and took the whole night to get it downloaded, so I will try to know who is the culprit.

BTW, are you in Switzerland for skiing ??? :ROFLMAO:
yes for skiing haha.

I downloaded the same firmware from sammobile too (I didn't flash this), and the file names for BL, AP, CP, CSC are all the same...

EDIT:

Polish version of firmware seems to have Android 12 update available - is it a problem to install this if I want to get BTU?

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010
yes for skiing haha.

I downloaded the same firmware from sammobile too (I didn't flash this), and the file names for BL, AP, CP, CSC are all the same...

EDIT:

Polish version of firmware seems to have Android 12 update available - is it a problem to install this if I want to get BTU?

Haha lucky man :)

Polish and French Android 12 are most probably the same and it won't change your CSC as I also Installed it and also got XEO (Poland) CSC... ^^

You can install Android 12 if you like but the CSC won't change for now.

Last edited:

Ledzee

Jan 14, 2022

Ledzee

Jan 14, 2022
Haha luck man :)

Polish and French Android 12 are most probably the same and it won't change your CSC as I also Installed it and also got XEO (Poland) CSC... ^^

You can install Android 12 if you like but the CSC won't change for now.
I read some people talking about using Samkey to change CSC - do you know anything about this? Does it need root access?

bobfrantic

Aug 17, 2010
there is another thing called samkey but it is very expensive... but apparently works on unrooted devices

I guess I will leave it with XEO and wait until I am back in UK to test all features...

Goodbye for now :)
I wouldn't bother with paid CSC changing apps. And I wouldn't recommend rooting either as you'll trip knox on a brand new phone, breaking couple of apps in the process. Use it with the Polish CSC for now, as long as you know that there isn't anything that could be spying on you from the out of the box software now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Arobase40 said let you know the app that saved me, here is the link to it on the playstore:

Hope it helps. You can only change the csc with it if you are rooted though. Tap the three bars menu in upper left corner and select other tools....
    To my personal knowledge all bands are present on all phones. I don't personally think it wise or economical for any OEM to include a set of bands for one country and not another on its phone. The phone itself can use any bands, it is the software that will limit the use of certain bands. The OP is in the UK and wants to flash the British/BTU software on their phone which has the Taiwanese software on it. That would make it so that he has the cleanest software possible on their phone.

And I feel like I should say this. This thread has dragged on a lot but I feel like this is quite constructive. In no way am I a professional in this matter so if I make a wrong assumption, please do correct me. I've never really cared about what software I have on my phone as long as it is clean.

The full model name is SM-A528BZKIBRI. How do I know if a particular CSC will be compatible?

When you use Frija, for the Model name you just have to type SM-A528B and for the CSC, type BTU, then click on Check Update. it will show you the latest firmware available. Simply click on Download and then put it in the folder of your choice.
    It may take a while depending on your internet speed. You will find a zip file with 5 files inside. So you just have to unzip it, before you can use PC Odin to flash them.
    In you case, you have to use the CSC_OMC_XXXXXX and not the HOME_CSC_XXXXX as you want to convert the BRI CSC to BTU CSC.
    Thanks!

So I should flash stock firmware? Or you think I can use it without flashing?

better flash a stock firmware as we never know the consequence of Taiwanese CSC specially with your phone call plan... ^^

Then, you'll be sure your phone will be fully clean. You have to do this only one time !
    I guess I will leave it with XEO and wait until I am back in UK to test all features...

Goodbye for now :)