• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Bought ROG Phone 3 from Aliexpress with global rom installed, how do I update to Android 11?

Search This thread

Slyceth

Sep 21, 2021
I could not figure out why the system update always told me I was up to date, then today I found out Android 11 has been out for a while, so I want to update to it, mostly to get resizeable mini-player and other features from Android 11.

I bought the phone with the 865 plus version, 12G ram and 256Gb storage. When I first opened it I got a weird menu, I remember pressing the "continue to load" button somewhere and it booted into Android and I never saw that menu again.

According to the system info I'm on version 17.0823.2007.32, WW Rom.

Can I just download the latest version from the ROG website, put it on my phone via USB and update, will I lose any apps/photo's? Is it even compatible with this Tencent global rom version?

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Mate 20 X
ASUS ROG Phone 3
Yes, you should be good, you won't lose your stuff although always advised to take a backup. Download the version you need, place it at the top of your internal storage (i.e not in any folders etc) and reboot. The device should detect the rom and do a system upgrade.

michele.feria

Nov 17, 2014
I could not figure out why the system update always told me I was up to date, then today I found out Android 11 has been out for a while, so I want to update to it, mostly to get resizeable mini-player and other features from Android 11.

I bought the phone with the 865 plus version, 12G ram and 256Gb storage. When I first opened it I got a weird menu, I remember pressing the "continue to load" button somewhere and it booted into Android and I never saw that menu again.

According to the system info I'm on version 17.0823.2007.32, WW Rom.

Can I just download the latest version from the ROG website, put it on my phone via USB and update, will I lose any apps/photo's? Is it even compatible with this Tencent global rom version?
Hello!

You can do that I'm order to upgrade your phone. You just need to go to the link below and download in your phone the updated firmware and move it to the root of the SD, after that, you reboot your phone and it will automatically identity that you have an update pending, click to the notification and follow the process, at the end you will have to restart your phone and voilà, updated to version 158, which is the latest one.

Hope it helps