• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Bounty for a fully functional Exynos GCAM port

Search This thread

pepeuzika

Mar 29, 2019
I am willing to donate 100USD and crowdfund another 900USD (I'm willing to inject another 400USD to help the crowdfund hit it's target) for any dev that can make a fully functional port of the gcam (with nightsight, portrait mode and a fully functional selfiecam) for the exynos version of the S10+. Spread the word, this is legit

G

GuestK00143

I am willing to donate 100USD and crowdfund another 900USD (I'm willing to inject another 400USD to help the crowdfund hit it's target) for any dev that can make a fully functional port of the gcam (with nightsight, portrait mode and a fully functional selfiecam) for the exynos version of the S10+. Spread the word, this is legit

Why? You are not missing anything with GCAM. I tried it with the Snapdragon and think it sucks compared to the stock app. Besides night mode is coming according to this post.

Corv0

Feb 28, 2019
Why? You are not missing anything with GCAM. I tried it with the Snapdragon and think it sucks compared to the stock app. Besides night mode is coming according to this post.

Stock app will always be better since it's tailored for this hardware and it's the only guaranteed software to be kept updated, plus as Misterxtc mentioned, the dedicated night camera and much more is coming soon.

Bounty for what? A third-party hackware all because you're illuded enough to still believe the gcam propaganda? This is not some cheap Xiaomi sharing the same sensor as the Pixels, our sensor is theoretically superior and the only one that can improve its processing is Samsung itself.

Spare yourself the extra money, return your S10+, buy a cheap middlerange Chinese phone and a dedicated DLSR with the same money if you are so worried about insignificant picture detail that you all are going to ruin by sharing content with compressing social media apps.

G

GuestK00143

Stock app will always be better since it's tailored for this hardware and it's the only guaranteed software to be kept updated, plus as Misterxtc mentioned, the dedicated night camera and much more is coming soon.

Bounty for what? A third-party hackware all because you're illuded enough to still believe the gcam propaganda? This is not some cheap Xiaomi sharing the same sensor as the Pixels, our sensor is theoretically superior and the only one that can improve its processing is Samsung itself.

Spare yourself the extra money, return your S10+, buy a cheap middlerange Chinese phone and a dedicated DLSR with the same money if you are so worried about insignificant picture detail that you all are going to ruin by sharing content with compressing social media apps.

Same thoughts here.

crazyguns

Aug 24, 2011
Northampton

Have a look at the Anandtech article that came out yesterday, the exynos and snapdragon variants are vastly different even though they're supposed to be the same S10, the software love was only given to the 855 model, and lazily ported over to the exynos variant. This is kinda why we need a better image processing solution from the community, because Samsung cba about it... Quote from the article below;

On the wide angle, the Exynos does a horrible result in the HDR processing. In the histrogram the top 15% of levels are nearly non-existing and this is why the image seems to flat, especially a lot of the greens are compressed far too much resulting in unnatural and flat textures on leaves and on the moss. We can also add this shot to the list of wide-angle results where the Snapdragon’s optics seem much better.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14072/the-samsung-galaxy-s10plus-review/14

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10e using XDA Labs

Francymat

Mar 17, 2019

You're totally right, the camera , or the hardware are way better on the s10 , but it's not only about the hardware, image processing is important too, and ssdly the imagie processing which is the software on the samsung is not that good, and the gcam is way way better , so with the samsung hardware and the pixel software (gcam) u can have the best picture on the market.

Corv0

Feb 28, 2019
Have a look at the Anandtech article that came out yesterday, the exynos and snapdragon variants are vastly different even though they're supposed to be the same S10, the software love was only given to the 855 model, and lazily ported over to the exynos variant. This is kinda why we need a better image processing solution from the community, because Samsung cba about it... Quote from the article below;

On the wide angle, the Exynos does a horrible result in the HDR processing. In the histrogram the top 15% of levels are nearly non-existing and this is why the image seems to flat, especially a lot of the greens are compressed far too much resulting in unnatural and flat textures on leaves and on the moss. We can also add this shot to the list of wide-angle results where the Snapdragon’s optics seem much better.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14072/the-samsung-galaxy-s10plus-review/14

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10e using XDA Labs
Anandtech disabled HDR on the Exynos, they also always pick the lowest scores when comparing benchmarks, the reviews is completely and ridiculously biased towards Qualcomm.
I should keep it classy but I must say they're full of shjt and their authors are incompetent and arrogant.

My HDR pictures are perfect and I'm sure about that, I'm not sure about Anandtech's reasoning behind their shady behaviour but it most likely involves money, if anything that will force Samsung to improve Exynos even more and purge that site of edgy geeks wannabe.

Reactions: armorized

crazyguns

Aug 24, 2011
Northampton
Anandtech disabled HDR on the Exynos, they also always pick the lowest scores when comparing benchmarks, the reviews is completely and ridiculously biased towards Qualcomm.
I should keep it classy but I must say they're full of shjt and their authors are incompetent and arrogant.

My HDR pictures are perfect and I'm sure about that, I'm not sure about Anandtech's reasoning behind their shady behaviour but it most likely involves money, if anything that will force Samsung to improve Exynos even more and purge that site of edgy geeks wannabe.

Haha I love this theory. So you're claiming they're biased towards qualcomm even though they definitely praise a lot of the other aspects of the Exynos in the review, how it has a solidly better battery life when compared to 855, and how the A55 cores on the Exynos are way better. Where do you get the "disabled HDR" idea, they put both on Auto and took the photos, they even discuss the actual HDR processing.

The Mate 20 Pro is a contender for detail in this shot, but loses out in colours and dynamic range to the S10.

Hmmm based on that last sentence now you'll claim they're Huawei Kirin shills. Lol way to "keep it classy" with your conspiracy theories mate.

The fact is 99% of the reviews do not mention the fact that the Exynos camera app doesn't take full advantage of the processing like the Qualcomm model, and there is a clear difference that must be addressed by Samsung. It's a damn shame because the 9820 is a really capable beast and deserves the same amount of finesse and perfection that is present in the 855 software.

Corv0

Feb 28, 2019
Haha I love this theory. So you're claiming they're biased towards qualcomm even though they definitely praise a lot of the other aspects of the Exynos in the review, how it has a solidly better battery life when compared to 855, and how the A55 cores on the Exynos are way better. Where do you get the "disabled HDR" idea, they put both on Auto and took the photos, they even discuss the actual HDR processing.

Hmmm based on that last sentence now you'll claim they're Huawei Kirin shills. Lol way to "keep it classy" with your conspiracy theories mate.

The fact is 99% of the reviews do not mention the fact that the Exynos camera app doesn't take full advantage of the processing like the Qualcomm model, and there is a clear difference that must be addressed by Samsung. It's a damn shame because the 9820 is a really capable beast and deserves the same amount of finesse and perfection that is present in the 855 software.

Praising?
How's "Although battery life and performance this year aren’t an issue for the Exynos variant" praising it?

Another point, the end of their battery page states
"One issue I can confirm with the Exynos unit is that after a voice call in any app, the phone isn’t correctly entering its lower power state, and will suffer from increased idle battery drain until a reboot. This is something that hopefully Samsung addresses in a firmware update as it doesn’t look to be a hardware related issue. When not affected by this bug, both phones idle very similar to each other and slightly better than the S9+ I use as my daily device."

Seriously? This guide is a day old and they even bothered to include a bug that has been fixed in ASBA, TWO firmwares ago, even with half the comments mentioning it has been fixed and it doesn't belong in their review, it's still there.

This trashy excuse of a tech blog belongs in my fakenews domain blocking host, just so I stop seeing their poorly made articles whenever Google decides to shove them in my face.

crazyguns

Aug 24, 2011
Northampton
Praising?
How's "Although battery life and performance this year aren’t an issue for the Exynos variant" praising it?
Because 9810 was riddled with very bad battery performance, this year it is a lot better. He's talking about it comparing to the last iteration, it is surprising that the Exynos went from underperforming last year, to beating snapdragon this year;

In our web browsing test, both Galaxy S10+s are showcasing outstanding longevity at 13.08h for the Exynos and 12.75h for the Snapdragon variant. Least to say, I was extremely surprised to see this result even though we measured the Exynos 9820 CPU to be quite less efficient than the Snapdragon 855 in peak performance efficiency. I would have not expected the Exynos to match the Snapdragon, much less slightly beat it.

Another point, the end of their battery page states
"One issue I can confirm with the Exynos unit is that after a voice call in any app, the phone isn’t correctly entering its lower power state, and will suffer from increased idle battery drain until a reboot. This is something that hopefully Samsung addresses in a firmware update as it doesn’t look to be a hardware related issue. When not affected by this bug, both phones idle very similar to each other and slightly better than the S9+ I use as my daily device."

Seriously? This guide is a day old and they even bothered to include a bug that has been fixed in ASBA, TWO firmwares ago, even with half the comments mentioning it has been fixed and it doesn't belong in their review, it's still there.
The bug was not fixed two firmwares ago, I've no idea what you're talking about. I had it until yesterday when the new s10e patch fixed it, every time I had a teams or whatsapp call the deepsleep broke and I had to reboot the device.

This trashy excuse of a tech blog belongs in my fakenews domain blocking host, just so I stop seeing their poorly made articles whenever Google decides to shove them in my face.

What other genuine review articles have you read that go as in depth as anandtech and talk about the scheduler, voltage and efficiency curves, the A75 A55 and Mongoose triple chip design, die shot with detailed cache information, testing and EVEN comparing it to a desktop 9900k, I would love to see your "non fakenews" blogs that go as in depth. Seems like you're sour about them being critical of something in an objective, factual way.

Don't get me wrong I love my Exynos S10e, the screen is gorgeous, I regularly get 7+ hours SOT, but there's still room for improvement in the thermals, it can do with a lot more tweaking. My hope is that by the time Note 10 comes out, they'll have worked out a lot of the software issues and also done a better Bright Night implementation, making this phone as good as it can be.

jemfalor

suspected this.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Corv0

Feb 28, 2019
It just means you don't know how to use Gcam. All those problems can be solved by changing the lib. If you can't change minor settings on android, you should stick to iphones.

That kind of goes beyond "minor settings on Android", nobody guarantees that Gcam will always be better or even work, I checked some Gcam vs Stock samples and I wasn't impressed, low light was a bit better but everything else was worse and I think they went for the best lib options otherwise it would look even worse.

Samsung got struck for assuming everyone would be fine with AI deciding when to enable the night camera and they confirmed working on changing that, once that is changed(if implemented well) I'm confident that Gcam will have no benefit to bring on the table.

MeltdownSpectre

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 12, 2013
Sony Xperia 1
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You were already warned by a mod previously to keep it civil, and it just went downhill from there.

I suggest all of you take a deep breath and realize this looks like a group of 12 year olds fighting about who's smarter.

Some of the past few posts had nothing to do with Gcam and more to do with belittling each other. If you want to have an argument about stock vs Gcam, that's perfectly acceptable, as long as it's calm. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and there's no reason for name calling just because of someone's personal preference being different than yours.

Thread has been cleaned, let's keep it that way.

citytrader

Jan 19, 2012
Are you kidding to make a bounty for an app for a crap smartphone sensor? (All smartphone's camera sensors are crap)... for my curiosity, I measured myself the dynamic range of my S10+ Exynos with a calibrated grey card and I found is near 7 1/2 stops @ISO 50 taking in consideration the brightness only (the color DR is much worse), and my Canon M50 has double of that dynamic range and you can find it on Amazon for less than US$700. Who can even imagine to put money in a bounty for this?
I can't understand why people are discussing if the Samsung sensor that comes with the Exynos is better than the Sony that comes with the Snapdragon... both are crap, looking the people that are testing smartphone cameras I see none of them that are able to take a descent shot, why they don't start first to learn how to shot a good picture?

Do you think that I cared about if the sensor was good or not when I shot this pictures with my S7 some years ago, at that time I was worried about how much lost of quality I will get shooting behind a window instead of thinking about the sensor...
output2.jpg

Why don't you donate that US$100 to an NGO that will use that money in a useful way instead of wasting your money?

Last edited:

VICosPhi

Aug 2, 2010
Phoenix
The night mode on Exynos sucks, but overall sharpness is pretty bad for regular indoor pics. And the colors are washed out as compared to Snapdragon version. Samsung needs to fix all of these issues on Exynos.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Let's stay on track here, everyone. No flaming will be permitted. Offending posts will be deleted.
    You were already warned by a mod previously to keep it civil, and it just went downhill from there.

I suggest all of you take a deep breath and realize this looks like a group of 12 year olds fighting about who's smarter.

Some of the past few posts had nothing to do with Gcam and more to do with belittling each other. If you want to have an argument about stock vs Gcam, that's perfectly acceptable, as long as it's calm. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and there's no reason for name calling just because of someone's personal preference being different than yours.

Thread has been cleaned, let's keep it that way.

The Mate 20 Pro is a contender for detail in this shot, but loses out in colours and dynamic range to the S10.