• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Bounty for a fully functional Exynos GCAM port

Search This thread

citytrader

Jan 19, 2012
Ever noticed how unreal the HDR feels?

The colours are nice but it sometimes looks like hdr has just need tuned up in Photoshop and objects (especially trees) have shadows that weren't there.

What do you think of this picture, do think I used HDR or not?... that image has double dynamic range of the sensor of the camera I used to shot that picture.

NOTE: The colors and shadows are exactly the same as if you were in that place looking the scene.

Last edited:

zepretender

Dec 21, 2010
Paris
nawak-illustrations.fr
Just a question about RAW photos in Pro mode. I mostly take photos with auto mode... but next week I go on holidays and I want to bring some good photos. Not all but I probably will take some with pro mode (with Raw). If I do Photoshop or Lightroom editing, I no need to set up things on my phone (WB, saturation, focal, etc.), right ?

HolyGrail

Dec 27, 2009
People are subjective. Some are never going to be fully happy with phone cameras and some are going to be just fine with them. If the OP wants a Exynos GCAM port for his phone I don't see the hate on that. Its not like the OP, won't be able to still switch back and forth between the built in camera and the Gcam depending on the users preference. So the user will have a choice.

For me I just want a camera I can point and click that gives my pics a lot of pop. I'm not a fan of super realistic pictures. I see realistic all day, and I enjoy seeing pictures that are different that catches my eye, and if the processing adds a little fakery to the picture that pleases my eye, so be it.

I took these pics with Gcam, (no edits except hiding car plate) and I like the results, that I can't get with my S10+ built in camera. But that doesn't take away from the nice wide pics that I enjoy taking with my built in camera. You don't have to hate on one camera to enjoy the other, just enjoy both.

Do camera phones suck? Maybe, but for me they work in my everyday real world use. I'm not looking to be a pro.

20190305_200511.jpg

20190322_055724.jpg

IMG_20190304_105218.jpg

car.jpg

PORTRAITR.jpg

IMG_20190304_172013.jpg

IMG_20190409_184714_4.jpg

IMG_20190409_185229_8.jpg

Last edited:

citytrader

Jan 19, 2012
I took these pics with Gcam, (no edits except hiding car plate) and I like the results, that I can't get with my S10+ built in camera. But that doesn't take away from the nice wide pics that I enjoy taking with my built in camera. You don't have to hate on one camera to enjoy the other, just enjoy both.

Do camera phones suck? Maybe, but for me they work in my everyday real world use. I'm not looking to be a pro.

Photo amateurs most of the time shots much better photos than pro's ;) Pro's most of the time can not chose what they really want to shot.

I respect your point of view but personally I don't see where your pictures pops, are all dull with very fake bokeh... the only thing I liked in your pictures was your bike ;)
Pictures pops not because of the tool, is because of the good photographer you are.

Just a question about RAW photos in Pro mode. I mostly take photos with auto mode... but next week I go on holidays and I want to bring some good photos. Not all but I probably will take some with pro mode (with Raw). If I do Photoshop or Lightroom editing, I no need to set up things on my phone (WB, saturation, focal, etc.), right ?

If you shot RAW is the best you can do because any mistake you do shooting probably could be solved later. Focus in doing a good exposure, I don't understand why people are not able to shoot with a correct exposure...

You can use WB in auto shooting in pro mode and later you can modify that in RAW without destroying image data like could happen with JPG, everytime you retouching a JPG you could destroy image data, something that doesn't happen with RAW.

In the options when shooting pro, put all in the middle, saturation, tint, etc (this will only modify the jpg and the view on your screen, the more neutral, the better)
I don't understand why Samsung didn't put a real time histogram...

Last edited:

HolyGrail

Dec 27, 2009
I respect your point of view but personally I don't see where your pictures pops, are all dull with very fake bokeh... the only thing I liked in your pictures was your bike ;)
Pictures pops not because of the tool, is because of the good photographer you are.

Of course, it's a phone camera. And that's why you got to compare phone cameras to phone cameras. Which was my point. For me, fake bokeh with some pop is better than no bokeh with no pop on other camera phones.

I don't mind being wrong. Which camera phone, would you suggest? That takes bokeh shots, fake or otherwise, that a user can just point and click with, that would work better then Gcam's presentation of it?

Last edited:

citytrader

Jan 19, 2012
Of course, it's a phone camera. And that's why you got to compare phone cameras to phone cameras. Which was my point. For me, fake bokeh with some pop is better than no bokeh with no pop on other camera phones.

I don't mind being wrong. Which camera phone, would you suggest? That takes bokeh shots, fake or otherwise, that a user can just point and click with, that would work better then Gcam's presentation of it?

The point is not having bokeh or not, its what do you want to achieve and this is part of basic photography. Bokeh is created by lens and the combination of aperture and focal length and distance.

The S10 camera works just fine shooting RAW.

HolyGrail

Dec 27, 2009
The point is not having bokeh or not, its what do you want to achieve and this is part of basic photography. Bokeh is created by lens and the combination of aperture and focal length and distance.

The S10 camera works just fine shooting RAW.

Well If my point is to achieve Boca or blur or even a tilt effect in the background by just pointing and clicking my camera, that is the point. You can't just walk up with the S10 camera to any object and do that from the amount of distance that the Gcam can.

Sure you can go to Pro mode, shoot the picture in raw. Then edit the picture. Which takes time. My point is quickly taking shots in auto mode and still getting a bokeh effect, or tilt effect of any object in the background. You can't do this with the S10 camera automatically.

Last edited:

Corv0

Feb 28, 2019
Well If my point is to achieve Boca or blur or even a tilt effect in the background by just pointing and clicking my camera, that is the point. You can't just walk up with the S10 camera to any object and do that from the amount of distance that the Gcam can.

Sure you can go to Pro mode, shoot the picture in raw. Then edit the picture. Which takes time. My point is quickly taking shots in auto mode and still getting a bokeh effect, or tilt effect of any object in the background. You can't do this with the S10 camera automatically.
I spent 10 minutes writing something to you but then gboard crashed, touched a forum link and lost all, so I'll sum it up

-I'm mad on the rabbit having most of his face blurred
-Bokeh and blur look nice for wallpapers but I don't think they make good "memory material"
-Gcam isn't a big deal for casuals or professionals unless you have a specific goal in mind like yourself
-raw defeats the purpose of a mobile phone camera if you don't know exactly what you want, but still time consuming and the effort would be best spent with a dedicated hardware's product at this point
@citytrader I'll send you a pm with some samples about HDR

citytrader

Jan 19, 2012
-Bokeh and blur look nice for wallpapers but I don't think they make good "memory material"

Bokeh and blur are two different things, if you use blur in place of bokeh, that looks like ugly and fake. Bokeh is used for separating the foreground over the background with a purpose.

I suggest to anybody interested in shooting better photos to learn something about photography basics.

Reactions: Erewiel and Inerent

Corv0

Feb 28, 2019
Bokeh and blur are two different things, if you use blur in place of bokeh, that looks like ugly and fake. Bokeh is used for separating the foreground over the background with a purpose.

I suggest to anybody interested in shooting better photos to learn something about photography basics.

I mentioned them together since most of the time they're both used for the wrong reason.

Inerent

Oct 6, 2017
Bucharest

Hello! Reading your post is here and there and I truly appreciate your advices. Can you give me your opinion (please rate and compare with others) about my phone cameras (normal plus wide) judging these raw files?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZPzkTQ2rut7wOrvpP3Q-R7XCpOMSuyD-/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fp9c9_12xlBJtVz0e9-RqkJ1pnPBHeOU/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qP_SAL4PITu8fbOQlCusUaGg_HGG28tX/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16MlXMufUvcsPzMfd246_cZsAOazASpoI/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19e1eF-PTenCqMHSzNj6EfjOcQ2O3k9ij/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pw8mcmPilvo1rNbbZ7BFLmyMa99fJo3u/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rffE_ylNvNMD_r-VhqvtYFgaIujqTe1l/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yG6vAjC7k797DpIJU2qzSPw7CHz86o1y/view?usp=drivesdk

degakc

Oct 24, 2012
The rear stock camera is good, but the low light photography on the selfie camera sucks big time. Selfie pics taken on my old OnePlus 6 using Gcam come out way better than my S10 plus. So pls make a working GCam port for exynos S10 plus asap.

Reactions: tanzilislam6

Ricocche

Apr 20, 2018
Is this still a need? After the updates stock cam isn't bad as it was or missing something?

Yes, I wonder the same. So many reviewers praising the S10s and the Notes in lieu of the Pixel 4 and even the Iphone 11's...I want to buy a fully waranty covered Exynos S10+ as my first Samsung, but cant decide so far...I'm very interested in getting the best Cam possible and dont want to leave the Android world at the same time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am willing to donate 100USD and crowdfund another 900USD (I'm willing to inject another 400USD to help the crowdfund hit it's target) for any dev that can make a fully functional port of the gcam (with nightsight, portrait mode and a fully functional selfiecam) for the exynos version of the S10+. Spread the word, this is legit
    Why? You are not missing anything with GCAM. I tried it with the Snapdragon and think it sucks compared to the stock app. Besides night mode is coming according to this post.

Stock app will always be better since it's tailored for this hardware and it's the only guaranteed software to be kept updated, plus as Misterxtc mentioned, the dedicated night camera and much more is coming soon.

Bounty for what? A third-party hackware all because you're illuded enough to still believe the gcam propaganda? This is not some cheap Xiaomi sharing the same sensor as the Pixels, our sensor is theoretically superior and the only one that can improve its processing is Samsung itself.

Spare yourself the extra money, return your S10+, buy a cheap middlerange Chinese phone and a dedicated DLSR with the same money if you are so worried about insignificant picture detail that you all are going to ruin by sharing content with compressing social media apps.
    Let's stay on track here, everyone. No flaming will be permitted. Offending posts will be deleted.
    You were already warned by a mod previously to keep it civil, and it just went downhill from there.

I suggest all of you take a deep breath and realize this looks like a group of 12 year olds fighting about who's smarter.

Some of the past few posts had nothing to do with Gcam and more to do with belittling each other. If you want to have an argument about stock vs Gcam, that's perfectly acceptable, as long as it's calm. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and there's no reason for name calling just because of someone's personal preference being different than yours.

Thread has been cleaned, let's keep it that way.
    Anandtech disabled HDR on the Exynos, they also always pick the lowest scores when comparing benchmarks, the reviews is completely and ridiculously biased towards Qualcomm.
    I should keep it classy but I must say they're full of shjt and their authors are incompetent and arrogant.

My HDR pictures are perfect and I'm sure about that, I'm not sure about Anandtech's reasoning behind their shady behaviour but it most likely involves money, if anything that will force Samsung to improve Exynos even more and purge that site of edgy geeks wannabe.

Haha I love this theory. So you're claiming they're biased towards qualcomm even though they definitely praise a lot of the other aspects of the Exynos in the review, how it has a solidly better battery life when compared to 855, and how the A55 cores on the Exynos are way better. Where do you get the "disabled HDR" idea, they put both on Auto and took the photos, they even discuss the actual HDR processing.

On the wide angle, the Exynos does a horrible result in the HDR processing. In the histrogram the top 15% of levels are nearly non-existing and this is why the image seems to flat, especially a lot of the greens are compressed far too much resulting in unnatural and flat textures on leaves and on the moss. We can also add this shot to the list of wide-angle results where the Snapdragon’s optics seem much better.
    The Mate 20 Pro is a contender for detail in this shot, but loses out in colours and dynamic range to the S10.

Hmmm based on that last sentence now you'll claim they're Huawei Kirin shills. Lol way to "keep it classy" with your conspiracy theories mate.

The fact is 99% of the reviews do not mention the fact that the Exynos camera app doesn't take full advantage of the processing like the Qualcomm model, and there is a clear difference that must be addressed by Samsung. It's a damn shame because the 9820 is a really capable beast and deserves the same amount of finesse and perfection that is present in the 855 software.