• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Bounty for Bootloader Unlock (Previously as root bounty)

Search This thread

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
DROID Bionic: Control It and You Control Everything

v4qJU.jpg

Completed Bounty

Pre-release Root Request

Well it's now the ending of August and the September 8th date is inching closer and closer. The demand for this phone has now reached new levels and it is very certain now that this device will be purchased by many (even more so now with the lack of the SGSII on Verizon). Seeing as how many of us here at XDA will be new to this device, it will be very critical for most of us to get root access as soon as possible post-release. As a result of this necessity, I would like to personally offer a $25 bounty to the first person able to find or create a method that fully root and provide the necessary steps for rooting the Droid Bionic here on XDA. I know it may not be much but seeing as how the Droid 3 was rooted for free impressively quick, I am hoping this small bounty will be able to motivate a few developers attempt and do likewise on the Bionic or at least enough to catch the attention of a root request. Whoever you are, you will be doing myself and many other upcoming owners of this device a great justice and for that consider this as a token of my appreciation. I also greatly encourage and welcome anyone else willing to chip in to this bounty to post here and I will have the OP updated of all users' donations to this request.

Greatly looking forward to anyone interested in becoming a candidate.

List of Donators

open1your1eyes0 - $25 - Completed to tct08 - Link to post

Currently Active Bounty

Requirements to Receive Bootloader Unlock Bounty

1. Be first person to create (or find from another source) a method of permanently unlocking the bootloader
  2. Make a post in this thread with the following:
    • Proving it works with appropriate photos or screenshots
    • Providing full step-by-step instructions for which anyone else can follow
  3. Wait for another member to follow the method and confirm it works
  4. Claim your bounty via PM from donator(s)

List of Donators

rickatnight11 - $100 - Active with exceptions (See Post) *Contact member directly*
bigfooot - $25 - Active
karthakon - $50 - Active
jbdan - $25 - Active
DracoDan - $50 - Active
anuraj1 - $50 - Active
deadlyv2 - $25 - Active
TheRedBull - $20 - Active
jxcgunrunna - $30 - Active
Seapup - $50 - Active
ClydeDroid - $25 - Active
JDBarlow - $20 - Active
mill guy - $20 - Active
scheatyj - $10 - Active
retracnaes - $25 - Active
necroscopev - $21.68 - Active
lrs421 - $25 - Active
Cloudsnightmare - $25 - Active
_base2 - $25 - Active
johnwaynegacy - $150 - Active with exceptions (See Post) *Expires on February 1st, 2011*
dellenrules - $1000 - Active with exceptions (See Post) *Contact member directly*

Total Donations - $1771.68

Payment will be processed between each member and the bounty collector via PM on an individual basis.

Please be advised that if Motorola is to release the unlocked bootloader prior to any member of XDA's submission, this bounty automatically becomes invalidated.

Last edited:
Reactions: yousephahmed

Lelouche

Jun 27, 2010
Stafford
There is a method out that roots the D3 that said it can also root any moto device on Gingerbread? I read it @ droidlife. So hopefully they won't patch it and the bionic would be rooted out of the box.

wseyller

Nov 23, 2009
Yep we should have root day 1. I don't think it will be patched before we get our hands on it. Surely they already have thousands and thousands of bionics already produced sitting in a warehouse. They are not gonna go back and update them. If they do decide to patch it, then it will likely come via an OTA.

TheLoonyRebel

Mar 20, 2010
Somehow I wouldn't put it past Verizon (and Moto) to have an update ready to go even before the Bionic is out for sale that blocks the method being used to root it.

znel52

Jun 3, 2010
root related question......if it gets root out of the box will we start seeing ROMS soon or does it require an unlocked bootloader which may never be seen? im tryin to decide between this phone and the inc2. development is a huge factor im my decision

Sent from my ERIS using xda premium

dirtmaster88

Jul 13, 2010
root related question......if it gets root out of the box will we start seeing ROMS soon or does it require an unlocked bootloader which may never be seen? im tryin to decide between this phone and the inc2. development is a huge factor im my decision

Sent from my ERIS using xda premium

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty certain a locked/encrypted bootloader would just mean that roms would have to be based off the moto kernels (no custom kernels). So to answer your question, roms yes, kernels no.

rickatnight11

Dec 31, 2010
I'll put up $100 for the first person to hack the bootloader (assuming Motoogle doesn't unlock it first). I'm so excited about the hardware, but having fallen in love with MIUI (sorry CM), I don't want anything else on it.

rickatnight11

Dec 31, 2010
My bounty is paid to whomever develops the bootloader hack, regardless of where it's posted. In the event of a collaboration, I will distribute the bounty as I see fit.

klarson

Apr 8, 2010
sacramento, ca
Now awaiting confirmed working instructions/step-by-step process

First to post here on XDA get's the bounty (even if it's a repost from another forum!)
This is the root process for all motorola phones running 2.3, including the bionic. Just download the one-click root, install the most current drivers, and your good to go. :)

Link: www.psouza4.com/droid3

Last edited:

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
This is the root process for all motorola phones running 2.3, including the bionic. Just download the one-click root, install the most current drivers, and your good to go. :)

Link: www.psouza4.com/droid3

Unfortunately, I cannot count it until this has been updated to specify the Droid Bionic as an option or until someone shows proof running it on their own Bionic (and showing which option to select since the Bionic is not listed).

klarson

Apr 8, 2010
sacramento, ca
Unfortunately, I cannot count it until this has been updated to specify the Droid Bionic as an option or until someone shows proof running it on their own Bionic (and showing which option to select since the Bionic is not listed).
P3droid stated that the exact same method used to root the droid 3 would work on the bionic. This is that same method. I would bet on it that this works. I will be one of the first to "officially" use this method on the bionic. Getting mine this weekend.

Sent from my Incredible 2 3D using XDA App

klarson

Apr 8, 2010
sacramento, ca
Oh, and there is no option to choose for the different motorola devices btw. This is a universal motorola one click root for 2.3 phones. The script is the same.

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Oh, and there is no option to choose for the different motorola devices btw. This is a universal motorola one click root for 2.3 phones. The script is the same.

Oh I see now. For some reason I saw an earlier script that stated you had to select which phone model you had. I see this one is automatic. Makes me wonder how it finds the Bionic though.

P3droid stated that the exact same method used to root the droid 3 would work on the bionic. This is that same method. I would bet on it that this works. I will be one of the first to "officially" use this method on the bionic. Getting mine this weekend.

Sounds good, if you can get it up and running with screenshots/photos of the process, the bounty is yours. Make sure you list all the necessary steps however.

klarson

Apr 8, 2010
sacramento, ca
Oh I see now. For some reason I saw an earlier script that stated you had to select which phone model you had. I see this one is automatic. Makes me wonder how it finds the Bionic though.

Sounds good, if you can get it up and running with screenshots/photos of the process, the bounty is yours. Make sure you list all the necessary steps however.
I'll do that once I get mine.

Reactions: erikjonpeterson
L

LegionTHEFecalExcretion

If anything, give your bounty to the originator of the exploit. I don't mean the first person who posted how to root the Droid 3 with instructions, I mean the actual coder who found the hole. If you are absolutely dying to see it, I might be willing to try the root method, but I am not taking any risks with mine, even with a full writeup. It will come really soon, the phone launches in 4 days. Patience young grasshoppers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I downloaded the files as listed on the website (including the motorola drivers for windows), turned on usb debugging on the Bionic, ran the program and selected Root. The program installed the necessary files, rebooted and I had root with superuser installed. No data was lost in the process.

a6f9c0f8-1fce-0d70.jpg
    Its just more misguided notions about finding the encryption keys on the device itself. There are many such keys and signatures to found in many places and none of them will help you unlock the bootloader.

Did anyone know that the non secured mbmloader is right there included in the update.zips whenever the bootloader is incremented?

Try flashing it to a secured hardware device and see what happens... ;)
    DROID Bionic: Control It and You Control Everything

v4qJU.jpg

Completed Bounty

Pre-release Root Request

Well it's now the ending of August and the September 8th date is inching closer and closer. The demand for this phone has now reached new levels and it is very certain now that this device will be purchased by many (even more so now with the lack of the SGSII on Verizon). Seeing as how many of us here at XDA will be new to this device, it will be very critical for most of us to get root access as soon as possible post-release. As a result of this necessity, I would like to personally offer a $25 bounty to the first person able to find or create a method that fully root and provide the necessary steps for rooting the Droid Bionic here on XDA. I know it may not be much but seeing as how the Droid 3 was rooted for free impressively quick, I am hoping this small bounty will be able to motivate a few developers attempt and do likewise on the Bionic or at least enough to catch the attention of a root request. Whoever you are, you will be doing myself and many other upcoming owners of this device a great justice and for that consider this as a token of my appreciation. I also greatly encourage and welcome anyone else willing to chip in to this bounty to post here and I will have the OP updated of all users' donations to this request.

Greatly looking forward to anyone interested in becoming a candidate.

List of Donators

open1your1eyes0 - $25 - Completed to tct08 - Link to post

Currently Active Bounty

Requirements to Receive Bootloader Unlock Bounty

1. Be first person to create (or find from another source) a method of permanently unlocking the bootloader
    2. Make a post in this thread with the following:
      • Proving it works with appropriate photos or screenshots
      • Providing full step-by-step instructions for which anyone else can follow
    3. Wait for another member to follow the method and confirm it works
    4. Claim your bounty via PM from donator(s)

List of Donators

rickatnight11 - $100 - Active with exceptions (See Post) *Contact member directly*
    bigfooot - $25 - Active
    karthakon - $50 - Active
    jbdan - $25 - Active
    DracoDan - $50 - Active
    anuraj1 - $50 - Active
    deadlyv2 - $25 - Active
    TheRedBull - $20 - Active
    jxcgunrunna - $30 - Active
    Seapup - $50 - Active
    ClydeDroid - $25 - Active
    JDBarlow - $20 - Active
    mill guy - $20 - Active
    scheatyj - $10 - Active
    retracnaes - $25 - Active
    necroscopev - $21.68 - Active
    lrs421 - $25 - Active
    Cloudsnightmare - $25 - Active
    _base2 - $25 - Active
    johnwaynegacy - $150 - Active with exceptions (See Post) *Expires on February 1st, 2011*
    dellenrules - $1000 - Active with exceptions (See Post) *Contact member directly*

Total Donations - $1771.68

Payment will be processed between each member and the bounty collector via PM on an individual basis.

Please be advised that if Motorola is to release the unlocked bootloader prior to any member of XDA's submission, this bounty automatically becomes invalidated.

I'll do that once I get mine.
    My point is that it will instantly brick the phone...do not try this at home. ;)