• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[BOUNTY!] Kernel for H990DS (Stock Oreo)

Search This thread

Whosondephone

Sep 25, 2018
LG V20
I may be interested in donating. I've been hesitant because I'm on the VS995 Varient. After seeing limited evedence that the project is underway my interest is piqued. I'de like more information. I tried PMing the thread creator however the message wouldn't send after taping the paper airplane.

Lebatman

May 20, 2012
Gainesville, FL
So with a new kernel, would we expect an improvement in battery life, and lag?

Also, after the issues Google's updated policies are causing to Magisk.. would this still be a working solution for people who use this phone as their primary, including using it for banking, Google pay (UPI)?

NoName!

Dec 27, 2006
First big thanks to askermk2000 for all your work and reuploading your kernel.

Lineage 17.1 gives amazing battery life, but lacks decent camera support and the awesome second screen functionality.

I'm willing to donate 20$ to keep the unique combination of removable battery and second screen alive :)

Lebatman

May 20, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Wow... awesome Noname!

Please add this to the list in the first post.... looks like if people continue like this, the kernel might happen sometime pretty soon.

reza_xdv

Jan 1, 2017
After a long wait it's the time for the good news!!!
Thanks to lybxlpsv we are going to have an H990DS stock kernel for Oreo soon which has great speed and tweaks, please have your wallets ready to send donations to him as he needs to buy a new V20 and if you're not an H990DS user please do it as well so that he will build it for the other variants. V20 is becoming stronger!!!

Due to some problems I can't manage this thread soon enough, so please contact @Daved+ for more information.
He will also collect the bounties and release the kernel when ready. Stay tuned!!! ;)

Last edited:

Lebatman

May 20, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Thanks to lybxlpsv we are going to have an H990DS stock kernel for Oreo soon which has great speed and tweaks, please have your wallets ready to send donations to him as he needs to buy a new V20 and if you're not an H990DS user please do it as well so that he will build it for the other variants. V20 is becoming stronger!!!

The 3dMark benchmark results is attached below. (Stock Oreo with the new kernel (still WIP))

Due to some problems I can't manage this thread soon enough, so please contact @Daved+ for more information.
He will also collect the bounties and release the kernel when ready. Stay tuned!!! ;)

Terrific news!!!

Thanks for sharing the screenshots.. would you happen to have screenshots (or approx benchmark results) of typical stock Oreo on stock kernel.. to give us an idea of the performance?

NoName!

Dec 27, 2006

The 3dMark benchmark results is attached below. (Stock Oreo with the new kernel (still WIP))

Thats really awesome news, thanks a lot!

Sidenote for the waiting time: mk2000 2.2 Stable was more or less unusable on my phone. The 2.2 re upload worked quite well... Only a few force closes, battery drain only sometimes... I will try beta34 as well now.

One thing that confuses me, no media or mp3 player is able to find my music on my storage internal and external, Is that related to the kernel too for just a new Oreo thing that im not aware of? Its the same thing with ringtones and other things really strange, like there is no permission to access any storage even if i granted it before... Any Ideas?

reza_xdv

Jan 1, 2017
Terrific news!!!

Thanks for sharing the screenshots.. would you happen to have screenshots (or approx benchmark results) of typical stock Oreo on stock kernel.. to give us an idea of the performance?

Honestly there was a big difference in the numbers for me, comparing to mk kernel. But the numbers aren't equal for everyone because each phone and usage is different so I avoid sending more screenshots and I've also removed the previous one.

Thats really awesome news, thanks a lot!

Sidenote for the waiting time: mk2000 2.2 Stable was more or less unusable on my phone. The 2.2 re upload worked quite well... Only a few force closes, battery drain only sometimes... I will try beta34 as well now.

One thing that confuses me, no media or mp3 player is able to find my music on my storage internal and external, Is that related to the kernel too for just a new Oreo thing that im not aware of? Its the same thing with ringtones and other things really strange, like there is no permission to access any storage even if i granted it before... Any Ideas?

I never had such an issue on stock roms so I don't think if it's a kernel issue. You can try the PlayerPro or Sony Music apps (the patched version that can be installed on any device).

NoName!

Dec 27, 2006
That you for your reply on that. I installed one stock room enhancer from this forum, maybe that is acting strange. I tried playerpro and it's super strange. It See's some playlists but can't play the songs that are in the some folder. It finds some videos that I took with the camera on the internal and in the SD, but none of the mp3s or anything else... I think I will reinstall the rom without the enhancer, I guess we all have a little but more time to tinker atm :D

partyman66

Dec 2, 2014
Has anyone tried this kernel yet? Any reviews?

Does one need to root the phone to install a custom kernel?

It's not out yet.

You need to be rooted to install a custom kernel. It's usually done right through a custom recovery (TWRP). You can install apps on your phone that can be run with it up (as long as you are rooted) and it will reboot the phone and automate the process of installing the kernel so you don't have to boot into recovery and do it manually.

BadToThePhone

Dec 26, 2011

Will there be a nougat version?

Reactions: nkirk

partyman66

Dec 2, 2014
Honestly there was a big difference in the numbers for me, comparing to mk kernel. But the numbers aren't equal for everyone because each phone and usage is different so I avoid sending more screenshots and I've also removed the previous one.

Hey Reza... Haven't heard from you guys on here or Reddit in about 2 weeks.

I was curious how things are going with the Oreo Kernel development, assuming you guys are still working on it?

Lebatman

May 20, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Hey Reza... Haven't heard from you guys on here or Reddit in about 2 weeks.

I was curious how things are going with the Oreo Kernel development, assuming you guys are still working on it?

Yup.. me too..

I've been waiting to hear good news about this kernel...

if you do get the chance to test it, please do share your review.. and if possible on a youtube video as well to give a better idea of the UI speed etc.

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you all V20 owners know, there's only one kernel available for Rooted Stock Oreo ROM and it is MK2000. However it's a good kernel and its developer has put a great effort on it but unfortunately it doesn't function properly on H990DS variant. Some problems like intensive lags and battery draining are two major examples.
    If you remember we had a good DOTS kernel in nougat. If someone could fork it for Oreo it would be great as well.

Anyways, here's what we need:

[*]Stock kernel based on H990ds Oreo sources (20a or 20b)

[*]Dirty Santa fixes applied (You can read about this in H990* root thread under TECHNICAL DISCUSSION section)

[*]RCTD, Triton and whatever related removed

[*]"ForceEncryption" and "dm(avb)verity" removed

[*]KCAL, EXFAT and USB Quick Charge support

[*]More CPU governors (We will talk about this in the group)

[*]Overclocked

[*]Make the project Open Source

If you think you can do something, PM me! I'll send you additional information required.
    Also I'll give you a link for a Telegram group where you can share what you have and it can be tested out.
    Anyone interested in testing potential builds, also contact me for the Telegram link.

The current list of supporters:

----------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Total: $170

Last update: 2020-3-26 /// 16:16 (GMT +3:30)

We want the kernel to populate custom NTCODE (Being able to change ntcode for region changes)

Hey there

What exactly does this mean? Aren't you able to change the NT-code as it is?
    I've actually been wanting to change the region of one of my G5's, but simply changing the code did not do the trick.
    I used the hidden menu method btw, where you can also change mac address IIRC.
    I also fiddled with the two partitions; cust and OP. Doesn't seem to be it either. Probably something needed to be edited in misc partition or something as well.

And BTW, I'm not offering to make this new stock kernel. Though I did just now re-upload the v2.2 kernel, here:https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=297449
    With some fixes and stuff. Not saying it's gonna fix 990ds problems, but at least it's out there for V20 users to be aware.

Good work creating the thread.

Hope more people jump in
    how do I financially support?