• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[BOUNTY!] Kernel for H990DS (Stock Oreo)

Search This thread

Lebatman

May 20, 2012
Gainesville, FL
u/aygross1929 .. Sure good luck, good sir!

And thanks for working on helping us have a good Stock Oreo Experience.
Not just the bounty.. LG should pay you to let their users have better memories of their ****tily optimized phone.

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
LG V20
Just using this thread to advertise that I have uploaded H990DS version of ezV2020 kernel. I have added boeffla wakelock blocker as well. I'd be interested to know if it's working without bugs including dual sim and all network functionality. See the main thread here for details, thanks.

Reactions: Qron

Lebatman

May 20, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Just using this thread to advertise that I have uploaded H990DS version of ezV2020 kernel. I have added boeffla wakelock blocker as well. I'd be interested to know if it's working without bugs including dual sim and all network functionality. See the main thread here for details, thanks.

Could you please share the link here? What are the advantages of the kernel (Although I imagine that would be written on the thread as well)?

NoName!

Dec 27, 2006
I was allowed to test the kernel on the H990DS. I have to say he did an very good job.. running it for a day now. Only two FCs right in the morning. I rebooted since then, very stable no issues all features work. Can't see any battery drain by now. Let's wait for the night... But I'm very happy at the moment and will keep testing for stability... I'm prefering this one over mk2000 B34 already.

Lebatman

May 20, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Hi again guys... thanks for working on this..

My stock oreo seems to have a horrible standby battery drain lately, on my Perfine 4100 (only 8 months old).

Maybe something like this might help. Is it ready to be a daily driver?

partyman66

Dec 2, 2014
Hi again guys... thanks for working on this..

My stock oreo seems to have a horrible standby battery drain lately, on my Perfine 4100 (only 8 months old).

Maybe something like this might help. Is it ready to be a daily driver?

Could you quantify your idle battery drain? How many % per hour at night with the phone idle for a 7 to 9 hour period?

partyman66

Dec 2, 2014
as bad as 15-25% in a 7-9 hour period.

9 month old Perfine 4100

That's sounds similar to what I get for drain on my H910A only mine is a bit worse. A few days ago I had it sitting in a car glovebox in airplane mode while I was fishing for 6 hours and it burned up 23% battery doing absolutely nothing and with second screen off.

khtr98

Sep 6, 2017
Mine is genuine battery, horrible standby. Battery percentage dropped 10%/hr and 1:30 SOT until dead but fully charged i got 3:30 hrs SOT and 10% left no standby. :silly:

Randomuser666

Jan 3, 2017
vienna
LG V20
Hi everyone,
I do actually have some ideas how to improve the battery life. I had the same issues a while ago and it took me quite a while to sort them out. Especially since I did not want to root my phone. We all know the V20(ds) is not the easiest to root....
The problem is that the v20 has some horrible wakelocks which are caused by LG system apps. In order to disable them you have to root the phone or use an app called: package disabler pro (hint: google for the apk and you may find it). I don't know, why it is not mentioned anywhere in the V20 forums, I found it a while ago in some other LG models forums.
The trick is, this app has system rights (on LG devices) and allows you to disable whatever apps you want. There are some LG models forums which discuss by large debloating LG phones and wakelocks, just google these issues and you will find them. I am/was using wakelocks detector lite to see what is going on and if made some progress as well as greenify.
The apps actually causing the wakelocks are somehow gps related: com.lge.gnsstest, com.lge.gnsspostest and com.lge.gns.airtest. (as far as I remember). I disabled a number of other apps to but from what I remember some of these gnss apps were/are actually causing the wakelocks.
I recommend you to figure out yourselves what other stuff you want to disable. I hoped that someone will start a debloating thread for the V20 but so far no one did. I disabled more than 60 system packages and my phone is working just fine.
By the way, I am on the V20a-AME-xx rom. Never bothered to update since it has been working fine for me. The V20b might not be affected by the wakelocks anymore.
I am also using the Perfine battery and I am getting easily 2 days of battery life (depending on screen time of course)
Good luck

Reactions: pradeeppk

Lebatman

May 20, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Hi everyone,
to root the phone or use an app called: package disabler pro (hint: google for the apk and you may find it).
The trick is, this app has system rights (on LG devices) and allows you to disable whatever apps you want.

I am also using the Perfine battery and I am getting easily 2 days of battery life (depending on screen time of course)
Good luck

Will search for this. Can it be simply installed on unrooted phones through the phone, or would I need some ADB-fu? I manually disabled some pre-installed bloatware but that didn't really seem to help. I don't wanna root the phone just yet as some banking apps here seem to have issues with rooted phones, and as you said, our phone isn't quite a delight to root in the first place.

Btw, your battery life on the Perfine sounds pretty sweet.

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Mine is genuine battery, horrible standby. Battery percentage dropped 10%/hr and 1:30 SOT until dead but fully charged i got 3:30 hrs SOT and 10% left no standby. :silly:

How old is the battery? That kind of performance looks like it's due to the hardware, more than just software - i.e. a dying battery.

Maybe you could install accubattery and then see what the effective remaining capacity is. Either way, if I were in your place, I'd get a new one, preferably one of those reputed LiPo ones like the perfine 4100 that are the same size as stock. There are those who get even larger ones though.

khtr98

Sep 6, 2017
---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

How old is the battery? That kind of performance looks like it's due to the hardware, more than just software - i.e. a dying battery.

Maybe you could install accubattery and then see what the effective remaining capacity is. Either way, if I were in your place, I'd get a new one, preferably one of those reputed LiPo ones like the perfine 4100 that are the same size as stock. There are those who get even larger ones though.

I replaced the battery 1 month ago. The battery manufactured on 03.2020, my phone is rooted and replaced thermal paste. I also try accubattery and it reports my battery full capacity around ~2200mah(?). I coudn't found a lipo bat for v20 in my country so this is the last one i will use until it dead and move on new phone :(

Randomuser666

Jan 3, 2017
vienna
LG V20
Will search for this. Can it be simply installed on unrooted phones through the phone, or would I need some ADB-fu? I manually disabled some pre-installed bloatware but that didn't really seem to help. I don't wanna root the phone just yet as some banking apps here seem to have issues with rooted phones, and as you said, our phone isn't quite a delight to root in the first place.

Btw, your battery life on the Perfine sounds pretty sweet.

You can simply install the apk and that's it.. You don't need root or adb. I don't know how they managed to get it done but it works (for me). Google it and you will find more than enough LG related posts... I don't know why it was not mentioned before, the whole process is no news. I installed it on my phone about 2 years ago (I think)

Reactions: khtr98

surfthesummer

Dec 22, 2010
Here is my list of disabled packages - 117 total

Hi everyone,
I do actually have some ideas how to improve the battery life. I had the same issues a while ago and it took me quite a while to sort them out. Especially since I did not want to root my phone. We all know the V20(ds) is not the easiest to root....
The problem is that the v20 has some horrible wakelocks which are caused by LG system apps. In order to disable them you have to root the phone or use an app called: package disabler pro (hint: google for the apk and you may find it). I don't know, why it is not mentioned anywhere in the V20 forums, I found it a while ago in some other LG models forums.
The trick is, this app has system rights (on LG devices) and allows you to disable whatever apps you want. There are some LG models forums which discuss by large debloating LG phones and wakelocks, just google these issues and you will find them. I am/was using wakelocks detector lite to see what is going on and if made some progress as well as greenify.
The apps actually causing the wakelocks are somehow gps related: com.lge.gnsstest, com.lge.gnsspostest and com.lge.gns.airtest. (as far as I remember). I disabled a number of other apps to but from what I remember some of these gnss apps were/are actually causing the wakelocks.
I recommend you to figure out yourselves what other stuff you want to disable. I hoped that someone will start a debloating thread for the V20 but so far no one did. I disabled more than 60 system packages and my phone is working just fine.
By the way, I am on the V20a-AME-xx rom. Never bothered to update since it has been working fine for me. The V20b might not be affected by the wakelocks anymore.
Good luck
I don't remember everything that I disabled, just FYI I don't use fingerprint sensor...

Attachments

• disabledpackages-after.xml
    5.5 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Whosondephone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you all V20 owners know, there's only one kernel available for Rooted Stock Oreo ROM and it is MK2000. However it's a good kernel and its developer has put a great effort on it but unfortunately it doesn't function properly on H990DS variant. Some problems like intensive lags and battery draining are two major examples.
    If you remember we had a good DOTS kernel in nougat. If someone could fork it for Oreo it would be great as well.

Anyways, here's what we need:

[*]Stock kernel based on H990ds Oreo sources (20a or 20b)

[*]Dirty Santa fixes applied (You can read about this in H990* root thread under TECHNICAL DISCUSSION section)

[*]RCTD, Triton and whatever related removed

[*]"ForceEncryption" and "dm(avb)verity" removed

[*]KCAL, EXFAT and USB Quick Charge support

[*]More CPU governors (We will talk about this in the group)

[*]Overclocked

[*]Make the project Open Source

If you think you can do something, PM me! I'll send you additional information required.
    Also I'll give you a link for a Telegram group where you can share what you have and it can be tested out.
    Anyone interested in testing potential builds, also contact me for the Telegram link.

The current list of supporters:

----------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Total: $170

Due to some problems I can't manage this thread soon enough, so please contact @Daved+ for more information.
    He will also collect the bounties and release the kernel when ready. Stay tuned!!! ;)

Last update: 2020-3-26 /// 16:16 (GMT +3:30)

We want the kernel to populate custom NTCODE (Being able to change ntcode for region changes)

Hey there

What exactly does this mean? Aren't you able to change the NT-code as it is?
    I've actually been wanting to change the region of one of my G5's, but simply changing the code did not do the trick.
    I used the hidden menu method btw, where you can also change mac address IIRC.
    I also fiddled with the two partitions; cust and OP. Doesn't seem to be it either. Probably something needed to be edited in misc partition or something as well.

And BTW, I'm not offering to make this new stock kernel. Though I did just now re-upload the v2.2 kernel, here:https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=297449
    With some fixes and stuff. Not saying it's gonna fix 990ds problems, but at least it's out there for V20 users to be aware.
    After a long wait it's the time for the good news!!!
    Thanks to lybxlpsv we are going to have an H990DS stock kernel for Oreo soon which has great speed and tweaks, please have your wallets ready to send donations to him as he needs to buy a new V20 and if you're not an H990DS user please do it as well so that he will build it for the other variants. V20 is becoming stronger!!!

Due to some problems I can't manage this thread soon enough, so please contact @Daved+ for more information.
    He will also collect the bounties and release the kernel when ready. Stay tuned!!! ;)
    Good work creating the thread.

Hope more people jump in
    how do I financially support?