• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Bounty] Verizon Pixel bootloader unlock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jegaa69

Feb 14, 2014
To get tethering on sprint working for free.
Install BuildProp Editor and use that app to add the following line to your build.prop file:
net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
Then reboot.

So after installing build prop editor apk tap on edit on upper right hand side of app[emoji422] and enter net.tethering.noprovisioning=true all the way at bottom of file?

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

tweaked

Sep 12, 2008
Your Moms house
So after installing build prop editor apk tap on edit on upper right hand side of app[emoji422] and enter net.tethering.noprovisioning=true all the way at bottom of file?

Im not on sprint but, ....In Magisk there is a mod that you can instal that enables tethering. Tethering Enabler 14.0.0

Reactions: jegaa69

jegaa69

Feb 14, 2014
Im not on sprint but, ....In Magisk there is a mod that you can instal that enables tethering. Tethering Enabler 14.0.0
buzman78 method worked. But thanks anyway.

---------- Post added at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 AM ----------

To get tethering on sprint working for free.
Install BuildProp Editor and use that app to add the following line to your build.prop file:
net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
Then reboot.
Ok just went ahead and did it. Thanks[emoji109]

jegaa69

Feb 14, 2014
I have done this on a Nexus 5X and a Pixel and it works.
Just make sure in the process that the properties of build.prop are not altered.
So I did it and I can toggle hotspot on all three options WIFI /USB/Bluetooth But when I connect to any of these it makes a connection but with no internet access. I went back to ES file explorer did a search for build.prop and I found 3 files with the same label when I opened each with BuildProp Editor they had different info. So my question is which build.prop file do I edit? I have screen shots but I couldn't upload them.

buzman78

Dec 8, 2012
So I did it and I can toggle hotspot on all three options WIFI /USB/Bluetooth But when I connect to any of these it makes a connection but with no internet access. I went back to ES file explorer did a search for build.prop and I found 3 files with the same label when I opened each with BuildProp Editor they had different info. So my question is which build.prop file do I edit? I have screen shots but I couldn't upload them.

Should be only one build.prop file. It would be under /system

Reactions: jegaa69

jegaa69

Feb 14, 2014
Ah! Ok got it done. Dam that connection is slow!

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Also did the following :
adb settings put global tether_dun_required 0

buzman78

Dec 8, 2012
Ah! Ok got it done. Dam that connection is slow!

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Also did the following :
adb settings put global tether_dun_required 0

To what benefit is the abd entry? "Also did the following :
adb settings put global tether_dun_required 0"
Thanks

jegaa69

Feb 14, 2014
To what benefit is the abd entry? "Also did the following :
adb settings put global tether_dun_required 0"
Thanks

1. Yes sry Just "settings put global tether_dun_required" adb oversight on my part. :p

2. And would like to take the time to say thank you for all the help you and others do on XDA!

3. Lastly posted this using wifi tether on my rooted Verizon Pixel xl using Android P dp2 on Sprint that I now have on my phone thanks to you guys! Yes I'm golden for now :good: :D :victory:

Last edited:

keyleroy

Aug 6, 2012
Now that I've unlocked my bootloader my next step is to try and root the device. I've tried Max Lee's method on "HighOnAndroid" for the Pixel and have had no success. Has anyone else had luck rooting your device and if so, what method did you use. Thanks!

selw0nk

Apr 13, 2012
Now that I've unlocked my bootloader my next step is to try and root the device. I've tried Max Lee's method on "HighOnAndroid" for the Pixel and have had no success. Has anyone else had luck rooting your device and if so, what method did you use. Thanks!

Which method did you try? Because this one worked for me using twrp 3.2.1-2 and Magisk 16.4

darthmulllet67

Jun 18, 2010

I did the same thing with no luck as well. I tried installing Magisk 16.4 but once I reboot the system it then bootloops back to TWRP. if you find a way to root DP2 please let me know. Thanks

keyleroy

Aug 6, 2012
Which method did you try? Because this one worked for me using twrp 3.2.1-2 and Magisk 16.4

You know, I gave that a shot and every time I would bring up cmd line, it would not recognize my device. I would power the phone up, reinstall the drivers and try again but to no avail. I even tried a different computer and also terminal emulator app from the google play store. I'm baffled at this point with that method. Please shed some more light as to any different steps you took to get your device rooted. Thanks!

selw0nk

Apr 13, 2012
You know, I gave that a shot and every time I would bring up cmd line, it would not recognize my device. I would power the phone up, reinstall the drivers and try again but to no avail. I even tried a different computer and also terminal emulator app from the google play store. I'm baffled at this point with that method. Please shed some more light as to any different steps you took to get your device rooted. Thanks!

Have you tried other USB slots on your computer and see if it works? I had to do it a few times myself.

louie 0607

Feb 7, 2015
Does this method work on 2nd generation pizel2 yet ? Would like to try this it's been almost a long time since rooting my Samsung Galaxy s6

Sent from my Google Pixel 2 using XDA Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks to LeoTheRomRasta's log, I've deciphered the log and found a way to unlock my bootloader. Here's how I did it:

1. Remove sim from phone

2. Factory reset phone

3. Go through setup, leave everything as default
    - Don't add any fingerprints or screen locking
    - Don't connect to WiFi (yet)

4. Enable developer options, and enable usb debugging

5. Connect to PC and set usb to charging only

6. Run the command from PC: adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.phone

7. Reboot

8. Connect to WiFi

9. Open Chrome and load any website (not sure if this is necessary)

10. Go back to developer options and enable OEM unlocking

11. From PC run:
    - adb reboot bootloader
    - fastboot oem unlock (confirm the unlock on phone)
    - fastboot reboot

Now enjoy your bootloader unlocked Pixel!

Edit: reboot phone
    Hey guys :) Below is a USBlyzer log of a VZW bootloader unlock session done 3 days ago. Lets hope this is IT ladies and gents!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p8c_yvF3QSe1Bod19NA7xT88RPXFQdJX
    This will be the last time we will clean this thread.
    Member ismailaba was selling a service on XDA. He wasn't asking for donations at first, he was charging members $30.
    11. Don’t post with the intention of selling something.
    Don’t use XDA to advertise your product or service. Proprietors of for-pay products or services, may use XDA to get feedback, provide beta access, or a free version of their product for XDA users and to offer support, but not to post with the intention of selling. This includes promoting sites similar / substantially similar to XDA-Developers.com.
    Please dont continue to share his service here on XDA.

thank you for your understanding
    Wolf
    I'm not going to lie, I thought this would be BS. But I sent Smail a message through FB messenger, he got back to me in a couple minutes, told me what I needed , told me his price , and after setting up the programs necessary, my "unlockable" Verizon pixel XL had a beautiful, brand new unlocked bootloader after five minutes of him clicking around on my PC screen lol.

He made a believer out of me. I was worried he was somehow going to turn my PC against me and steal all of my information or something lol. But so far so good!
    I'm just happy we FINALLY have a bootloader unlock of some sort after a year and a half.
    Can you let us know, is the method device-side or server-side? In other words, did you have to do anything to your phone (more complicated than a reboot or factory reset or SIM swap), or was it something he did behind the scenes that just made it work?

You reset the phone, pull the sim, turn off wifi, and get it off the grid. Connect it to flexihub and enable adb debugging. He does his secret sauce over adb to enable OEM unlock. You throw the toggle, reboot, confirm you want to unlock the bootloader, then roll on. It's as simple as that. If you're worried, setup a VM, like I did, or create your own flexihub account and you can share your devices with another member. He doesn't actually need remote access to your PC, only your device.