• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Brick while on safe kernel

Search This thread

altae

Mar 22, 2008
St. Gallen
Guys I still don't believe it but I did very well this evening :( I just managed to brick my device by copying some avi and wmv files from the external SD-Card to my internal storage. How did I do that? I have no f...... clue. The phone froze, I waited almost half an hour but nothing happened. So I finally decided to pull the battery and restart the phone. And what did I get? I phone nicely stuck at the boot logo. Ok I thought, no biggie. Let's try to clean cache and dalvik cache, this action had helped in the past when the phone had been stuck at the boot logo. But no, it did not help at all. Then I thought ok, before I restore my nand backup I can still try to reflash the kernel. And I think that killed my phone. After the kernel had successfully been flashed (according to the log in CWM) I tried to reboot but nothing worked anymore. I could not even boot into CWM recovery. Hm, that's not good but now I could still try reflashing the rom using pc odin because the download mode still worked (in fact it still works). But it does absolutely nothing. It does not even start to flash. So bang, there it is, my own full brick. Huray. Off to the service center I go. At least I always paid attention not to increase the flash counter/ trigger the red triangle. So since the phone is completely dead I am optimistic that they should not be able to proof that my phone was rooted (fingers crossed).

In case you are interested, my rom was LRQ, my kernel was the latest version of the PhilZ kerne with it's touch recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: syncopath

jeriz

Aug 28, 2010
did you check to see if the drivers on the computer are properly installed? I'm tinking it might be a case of pc not finding the phone.

or maybe you had some bad blocks since the days of unsafe kernels

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Guys I still don't believe it but I did very well this evening :( I just managed to brick my device by copying some avi and wmv files from the external SD-Card to my internal storage. How did I do that? I have no f...... clue. The phone froze, I waited almost half an hour but nothing happened. So I finally decided to pull the battery and restart the phone. And what did I get? I phone nicely stuck at the boot logo. Ok I thought, no biggie. Let's try to clean cache and dalvik cache, this action had helped in the past when the phone had been stuck at the boot logo. But no, it did not help at all. Then I thought ok, before I restore my nand backup I can still try to reflash the kernel. And I think that killed my phone. After the kernel had successfully been flashed (according to the log in CWM) I tried to reboot but nothing worked anymore. I could not even boot into CWM recovery. Hm, that's not good but now I could still try reflashing the rom using pc odin because the download mode still worked (in fact it still works). But it does absolutely nothing. It does not even start to flash. So bang, there it is, my own full brick. Huray. Off to the service center I go. At least I always paid attention not to increase the flash counter/ trigger the red triangle. So since the phone is completely dead I am optimistic that they should not able to proof that my phone was rooted (fingers crossed).

In case you are interested, my rom was LRQ, my kernel was the latest version of the PhilZ kerne with it's touch recovery.

I have never considered the "hex-patched" kernels to be safe...

altae

Mar 22, 2008
St. Gallen
did you check to see if the drivers on the computer are properly installed? I'm tinking it might be a case of pc not finding the phone.

or maybe you had some bad blocks since the days of unsafe kernels

Yep. I don't think the drivers are the problem since the phone is recognized. But it does not start to flash. It simply does nothing and the phone stays in download mode forever.

Phil3759

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2012
Many people confuse superbrick (phone dead right away, no life even if you plug a charger) and other bricks. This is just an unfortunate other brick not related in any way to emmc described one. Good luck at RMA
Also, copying big video to your sdcard is a good way to kill it. Old i9000 thread was popular with that

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

THUDUK

Aug 12, 2007
eastbourne
Huawei P30
Was running Paranoid Android
Tried to restore the Note back to the latest UK stock ICS ROM via ODIN
Forgot to wipe/davlik before hand
then got stuck in boot loop
more boot loops
Then tried flashing a rooted GB rom in ODIN
stuck now on the Samsung Note boot screen occasionally looping.
Then tried flashing an original non-rooted GB rom in Odin
got stuck on Data.img
Then tried again and it stuck on FACTORYFS wont even get passed this.
Took battery out, then back in...
Now the screen shows three images and the message
firmware upgrade encountered an issue

Now with the Samsung Repair centre in Eastbourne and they are failing to be able to do anything...they still have my NOTE:crying:

Phil3759

May 30, 2012

Sure, you can theorically miss the binary check in rare circumstances. But this is just "an other brick" without any common relation typical to described emmc brick: no wipe, no flash, and mainly no right away (or even) complete dead phone

shoey63

Recognized Contributor
Jun 5, 2012
Somewhere in Oz...
@ Entropy. Even guy above Phil3759 his bricked his note starting from PA which has a "safe" kernel, and eventually superbricking just useing PC Odin (long time considered safe). No wipes involved. Anyway, is Tungstwenty's detection method flawed for stock ICS kernels? Or is there are problem changing the offending byte from a 1 to a zero

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

THUDUK

Aug 12, 2007
eastbourne
Huawei P30
At least this brick has made me decide to leave my note well alone, after flashing roms practically daily for the last month or so, I have become insanely addicted to changing roms...once i get the Note back from the Sammy Service place, I am sticking with stock and wait till the official JB update arrives, which looks fantastic.
As it states on all these roms flashing custom roms at your own risk, thus its my own fault, finger crossed it can be sorted.

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
You can brick any phone, it happens, yes. Superbrick related to emmc bug occurs under special circumstances with typical symptoms.
Binary patching kernels, in theory, if you happen to have duplicate binary code or different, you could miss it. But, as far as i know, and for all manual checks i did, it never happened...

Markuzy

Apr 21, 2012
Singapore
Since this is not the usual EMMC brick, what is the diagnosis? Just so it can be prevented/avoided in the future

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

altae

Mar 22, 2008
St. Gallen
Since this is not the usual EMMC brick, what is the diagnosis? Just so it can be prevented/avoided in the future

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

I have no clue. And since the phone is now completely dead (even download mode does not work anymore) it's kind of hard to examine it. So I would say we will never now what exactly bricked my phone.

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
As i said, it is really non recommended to use your internal sdcard for regular heavy write operations like videos. It will be corrupted at a certain point. On the i9000 this used to be a way for some to get warranty. Phone stuck often after a continuous write/wipe overnight
But this is not the superbrick. And one day, all your phones will brick. That's flash storage

shoey63

Recognized Contributor
Jun 5, 2012
Somewhere in Oz...
I have no clue. And since the phone is now completely dead (even download mode does not work anymore) it's kind of hard to examine it. So I would say we will never now what exactly bricked my phone.

I have read about this before. First can't flash with PC Odin. Then recovery mode goes, then download mode and finally dead phone. Friggin' Samsung:mad:

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
I have read about this before. First can't flash with PC Odin. Then recovery mode goes, then download mode and finally dead phone. Friggin' Samsung:mad:

If you read across HTC and other forums, you'll see so much bricks and unhappy people. Why blame Samsung, there will be always faulty devices and unhappy unfortunate people

shoey63

Recognized Contributor
Jun 5, 2012
Somewhere in Oz...
Yeah, you're right. Even PC Nand causes grief. Just hoped a Company on the cutting edge of technology like Samsung would have been able to resolve such problems.

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
I would better trust seagate or corsair to push it further. Samsung HDD always failed on me. Ditched them long ago

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

By the way, for people that want to know more about binary patching kernels, read here, it is worth it
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=29609295

Reactions: shoey63

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am on ddlr9 rooted deodexed and zialigned from cosmodroid with phillz kernel.personally i like speemod kernel better dan phillz but phillz kernel has touch.
    So my worry is dat i have sum movies around 2-3 on my external 16gb card and 1.6 gb nandroid backup on internal.m i safe or not???please tell.shd i delete all d movies on external card???by reading d OP m scared.:confused:

Dat? Sum? Shd? D? M?

What happened to the English language? Reduced to txt spch? Or do you really think it's cool? Or saving time when typing?
    Saving tym wen typng.hehehehe:p

It would be appreciated if you could spend a few more seconds for typing. You write once but many people read your post. BTW, many people spend so many hours contributing their efforts for this community. Saving few types for your time? maybe few nano seconds? Why don't you save the whole time not typing at all.

Sent from my GT-N7000
    On Saturday 27th I handed the device over to the store where I bought the phone. Since it is completely dead by now I don't think they have any other alternative than to replace the mainboard. The told me it would take approximately 2 weeks until I get my device back. I just hope it won't take them any longer. My conclusions I have drawn is that I won't use the internal storage anymore. I am going to buy a 64 GB storage card and use solely that card to store files. I certainly won't risk another brick. That brick has shattered my faith in the Notes internal storage. And I want to add that this is unacceptable for me. A device that is, among other purposes, built for multimedia usage has to be able to reliably handle big audio and video files. And the files I transfered where not even big ones, around 50 MB or so each file. In the past I wiped my phone multiple times (always on safe kernels like Goku, Notecore/ Hydracore, PhilZ) without any problems at all. That's why it was a big f...... surprise to me when the phone died on me only because of a simple file transfer.
    Philz,

If the internal SD card is vulnerable with heavy duty usage, what about devices which dont have external sdcard...like N7. :(

I would never buy them. External SD for me is a major choice criteria
    A 64GB SD card is good, but I prefer 32GB: they oblige me to do regular backups. If you loose 64GB of sensitive data, you'll feel very bad
    Guys I still don't believe it but I did very well this evening :( I just managed to brick my device by copying some avi and wmv files from the external SD-Card to my internal storage. How did I do that? I have no f...... clue. The phone froze, I waited almost half an hour but nothing happened. So I finally decided to pull the battery and restart the phone. And what did I get? I phone nicely stuck at the boot logo. Ok I thought, no biggie. Let's try to clean cache and dalvik cache, this action had helped in the past when the phone had been stuck at the boot logo. But no, it did not help at all. Then I thought ok, before I restore my nand backup I can still try to reflash the kernel. And I think that killed my phone. After the kernel had successfully been flashed (according to the log in CWM) I tried to reboot but nothing worked anymore. I could not even boot into CWM recovery. Hm, that's not good but now I could still try reflashing the rom using pc odin because the download mode still worked (in fact it still works). But it does absolutely nothing. It does not even start to flash. So bang, there it is, my own full brick. Huray. Off to the service center I go. At least I always paid attention not to increase the flash counter/ trigger the red triangle. So since the phone is completely dead I am optimistic that they should not able to proof that my phone was rooted (fingers crossed).