• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Bricked Atoto A6, Need some help.

Search This thread

Hippie459MN

I want to buy this, but only if I can use Android Auto. Has anyone tried to install it?

Seeing that this is a full android device, like a tablet in your car with a radio built in to it, why would you need Android Auto? I guess I dont really understand Android Auto. I see after market head units say they support Android Auto but they are also not android based head units like the Atoto is. If your wanting a mirroring feature this does have one but I dont and have never used it. I honestly dont see a reason too.

With that, my steering wheel controls have suddenly stopped working properly. I dont know if its the head unit or the IPAC unit but I can program the steering wheel controls in the system setting and they seem to program just fine then I go to use them and they wont work or they will work randomly or they will not function like I programmed them. So its pretty much back to using the head unit controls.

Its been 6 months and while I still like it, I have a few dislikes that bother me more now.

1. The steering wheel controls suddenly not working properly (Not sure if its the IPAC unit or the head unit).

2. the radio turning on every single time you turn on the vehicle (Supposedly an update for that issue but I have heard of peoples head units bricking or breaking during/after the update so I havent updated). I wish it just default to whatever you were doing last.

3. the volume difference between the radio and other media. The radio volume is so much higher so if your listening to something on your SD card and shut your car off and later turn it back on, the radio starts up first and will be crazy loud.

4. How the system handles updating apps. It takes forever to update and install apps. It took me a solid 20 minutes to update a small app the other day and took a solid 15 minutes to install an app from my SD card where as my phone (Galaxy S5) will update the same app in 1-2 minutes.

Other than that, I still really like it. Im thinking of updating to the newer version with the physical buttons on it though. I wish someone like Alpine or Pioneer would actually make a true android head unit though. The only people that do are all these Chinese companies.

Also, mine came with a cheap feeling screen protector on it and im glad I never took it off or else my screen would be scratched up. I have an 8 year old that likes to stick his dirty fingers on it all the time.

intruda119

Mar 12, 2007
OnePlus 8 Pro
Seeing that this is a full android device, like a tablet in your car with a radio built in to it, why would you need Android Auto? I guess I dont really understand Android Auto. I see after market head units say they support Android Auto but they are also not android based head units like the Atoto is. If your wanting a mirroring feature this does have one but I dont and have never used it. I honestly dont see a reason too.

With that, my steering wheel controls have suddenly stopped working properly. I dont know if its the head unit or the IPAC unit but I can program the steering wheel controls in the system setting and they seem to program just fine then I go to use them and they wont work or they will work randomly or they will not function like I programmed them. So its pretty much back to using the head unit controls.

Its been 6 months and while I still like it, I have a few dislikes that bother me more now.

1. The steering wheel controls suddenly not working properly (Not sure if its the IPAC unit or the head unit).

2. the radio turning on every single time you turn on the vehicle (Supposedly an update for that issue but I have heard of peoples head units bricking or breaking during/after the update so I havent updated). I wish it just default to whatever you were doing last.

3. the volume difference between the radio and other media. The radio volume is so much higher so if your listening to something on your SD card and shut your car off and later turn it back on, the radio starts up first and will be crazy loud.

4. How the system handles updating apps. It takes forever to update and install apps. It took me a solid 20 minutes to update a small app the other day and took a solid 15 minutes to install an app from my SD card where as my phone (Galaxy S5) will update the same app in 1-2 minutes.

Other than that, I still really like it. Im thinking of updating to the newer version with the physical buttons on it though. I wish someone like Alpine or Pioneer would actually make a true android head unit though. The only people that do are all these Chinese companies.

Also, mine came with a cheap feeling screen protector on it and im glad I never took it off or else my screen would be scratched up. I have an 8 year old that likes to stick his dirty fingers on it all the time.

Its been 6+ months with mine also and I feel the same way with 3 and 4. I dont have the auto radio playing though. Ive seen that complaint a few times but never experienced it. 99% of the time it will auto play my bluetooth media from my phone or nothing unless the radio was the last thing I listened to.

Media played from the device volume is extremely low. I install speaker boost (turned up to 15%) and its night and day. Everything else is extra loud but this helps with media streaming off the device. Couldnt hear most audio on max doing anything above 60 on the highway.

#4 is the most annoying. Its extremely inconsistent when updating apps. Its much faster off my wifi at home vs hotspot from phone but its ridiculously slow to update apps. Much quicker to manually install apps/updates from browser/usb stick vs google play.

To much liability for bigger companies to produce something like the chinese companies. This should stay a very niche market. I think the chinese folks making the software should create a better interface.

But in my experience I rarely have any issues since Ive installed the headunit. Recently upgraded the rom, and it went smoothly. Ive probably restarted the headunit maybe once per month. Wifi wouldnt catch on or bluetooth to my obd wouldnt connect. Nothing major and Im happy I didnt go for android auto.

Had more issues figuring out the swc setup but no issues since. No random disconnects or anything.

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Any other radio app that doesnt require internet that we can use. I really hate the included radio app.

Holmes108

Sep 29, 2010
Toronto
I recently installed the new software for the unit and I've noticed that the volume discrepancy is much reduced. Other inputs still have to be raised louder than the radio but not nearly to the extent it was before. I primarily use Bluetooth to listen to podcasts from my phone, and Spotify on the unit itself, and both are much better thank goodness.

I've only had the update installed for a couple of weeks and I haven't noticed the radio auto turn on issue, but it was intermittent for me to begin with. Only happened one out of, I don't even know, maybe 10 times.

Still very satisfied with this unit, especially for the price.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So far I was able to extract the boot and recovery img files. You can connect to the preloader using SP Flash by setting it up to read
    Have you had luck in unbricking your atoto?
    I'm thinking about buying one also buy would like to root with kingroot and put a recovery into stereo if it's possible. Let me know your success is possible.

Thanks
    Steven

So far it seems to be a very solid unit. Rooting it isn't an issue. I had been trying different things with this unit and at one point I thought it was almost unbrickable. It still might be, just haven't found a solution for my issue (which was completely my fault), although I'm pretty confident there is one. There is a lot of info about mediatek devices on here, a bit different approach when flashing a custom recovery.
    Overall I was liking the unit, hadn't seen any issues some of the others had. Hope to see more people getting involved.
    After the last time I did a factory reset, I used kingoroot and then I used the supersu.apk from the zip and installed it with adb. After it said it failed I reset and SuperSu had root. Then I removed kingouser. The first time I pretty much did this: https://appuals.com/replace-kingoroot-supersu/ . Give that a try.
    I dont have any experience with the Metra kit for the SWC but with my PAC unit in my Chevy Tahoe, PAC told me just to use the Key plus wire I think it was but that didnt work. I ended up having to use both the key and key plus wire. I soldered a 3.5mm female jack to the two and then just pluged in the 3.5 mm male plug from the PAC unit into it and worked great.

EDIT: I know my PAC unit wont work with steering wheels that the climate controls on them. And by that, I mean the climate controls on the steering wheel wont work anymore but everything else will. Getting the SWC to work can be a pain sometimes. Took a bit for me to figure it out on the head unit once I got them actually working.