Bricked Atoto A6, Need some help.

Search This thread

Hippie459MN

I would reset the unit so its just the way it was when you got it. I havent reset mine but you if im not mistaken, you can reset back to factory (no root, no custom recovery, etc...) by pressing the reset button on the front of the unit. Then go from there. See if it works as it should then root it and if that works after using it a bit, then install the recovery, again if that works after using it a bit, then back up the device in recovery, then install xposed. If it starts acting up at any time during a point, then you know what the issues is or could be. Work in steps. Seeing I dont have full time internet on mine (I do use my phones hotspot from time to time), I personally have zero use for xposed at the moment. The very few things I use xposed for on my phone is for things that usually are internet based apps.

Hopefully you can get it sorted out.

scoolro

Aug 18, 2010
I would reset the unit so its just the way it was when you got it. I havent reset mine but you if im not mistaken, you can reset back to factory (no root, no custom recovery, etc...) by pressing the reset button on the front of the unit. Then go from there. See if it works as it should then root it and if that works after using it a bit, then install the recovery, again if that works after using it a bit, then back up the device in recovery, then install xposed. If it starts acting up at any time during a point, then you know what the issues is or could be. Work in steps. Seeing I dont have full time internet on mine (I do use my phones hotspot from time to time), I personally have zero use for xposed at the moment. The very few things I use xposed for on my phone is for things that usually are internet based apps.

Hopefully you can get it sorted out.

Hey Hippie,

Think I found the problem. I had a module on xposed called Xtools that is sort of a rom configuration app. I like gesture search that this module had. I unclicked disabled this module and now it boots fast.

I'll try and send you a YouTube video I made about the atoto steering media button controller and it sucked large.

I'm using a Bluetooth vr remote for 3 bucks on Aliexpress which I found it if works out great with the small joystick on controller. Maybe I'll do a small video on the controller I'm using.

Thanks care hippie and thanks stabone00 for your help on the unit also.

Before I forget anyone know how to update torque app on the Atoto?

Scoolro

Last edited:

Hippie459MN

Glad you got it all sorted out. I have had some xposed modules do some goofy things to my phones and tablets before.

As for the steering wheel controls, I am using the factory ones so no need for an additional wireless set up.

As for Torque, you could uninstall it and just reinstall the paid version from the play store so you can easily update it. I'm not 100% sure if that would work but I dont see why not but I'm about to try it seeing I have already paid for it anyways. Unless they have somehow tied it in to that 2nd bluetooth on the head unit. Maybe if I just install Torque right from the SD card it will update it that way. I'm going to email them on that one I think.

scoolro

Aug 18, 2010
Glad you got it all sorted out. I have had some xposed modules do some goofy things to my phones and tablets before.

As for the steering wheel controls, I am using the factory ones so no need for an additional wireless set up.

As for Torque, you could uninstall it and just reinstall the paid version from the play store so you can easily update it. I'm not 100% sure if that would work but I dont see why not but I'm about to try it seeing I have already paid for it anyways. Unless they have somehow tied it in to that 2nd bluetooth on the head unit. Maybe if I just install Torque right from the SD card it will update it that way. I'm going to email them on that one I think.

Hey everyone, it has been a while. just to give you a heads up with my prior situation and torque. I thought I did fix up the stereo but the long boot was not fixed. Atoto did send me a replacement. The long boot up time and restart was a defect in the prior Atoto stereo. I did a factory reset I unrooted I had it back to the Bare Bones but it continued to delay it's boot up. Replacement atoto stereo I have works fine. Rooted and Xposed but honestly I am not a big fan of the stereo reasons no home button and no volume knob. I hate having to look at my stereo which is unsafe just to raise or lower the sound. Also I find that I have to usually adjust the bass of the stereo as well.

Now torque, I did a backup of the app before I worked on it. I have uninstalled it, restart to try to reinstall a new torque app paid version but the stereo would not accept it. This stereo does have its faults. The radio starting after boot up is a big issue, the radio has to start in order to operate the buttons on the side and volume. I have also found that many times and I would hold the volume up or volume down for a few seconds and it works continue to rise up all the way on its own which is not good because I have to continually fidget with the volume buttons to bring it back down again. I would definitely not spend $300 on the stereo . I got it for about $180 because I got a flash sale and a coupon sale from Amazon Plus Amazon gave me another discount because of the issue I was having with the buttons many weeks ago. So that is my little tidbit. I do have to say that Atoto it does have good customer service.
Maybe next time if i do but another Atoto stereo I'm really going to do a thorough review.

Anyone's else with issues on this stereo. I hope Atoto does have a firmware update with fixes for it's bugs.

Scoolro

Hippie459MN

Dang. Glad they got you taken care of. I have heard very good things about Atotos customer service. I have to agree, the radio turning on kind drives me nuts sometimes. As for the volume and all that, I use my steering wheel controls so it doesnt bother me too much but I get it, they can be a pain sometimes.

As for the torque app, I pulled it from my phone and im going to try and update it and see if that works. Will it just not install or what? What exactly is the issue? Its working for me so I havent really thought about trying to update it.

Overall I am pretty happy with it despite its little quarks here and there, like the radio turning on every time you turn it on. Im just trying to find a goo MP3/music player. The stock one sucks big time and I was using MX Player I think but just didnt have a great interface. I am using Pulsar Music Player and so far i like it.

Oh yeah, I dont know why but the head unit takes forever to install/update apps. Not sure why but they do install/update but just takes a while.

chopperman296

Jun 28, 2010
Stuck in bootloop

My unit is stuck in a boot loop after doing a factory reset.

I've tried running software update files from an SD card and using volume and menu held down while pushing the reset button, and the updates appear to load ok.
After the update files are loaded the unit reboots but is still stuck in a continuous boot loop, with Android displaying continuously.
I've tried a few different software versions around the 2.7 system area, but nothing seems to work.

How can I get this unit going again?

stabone00

Jul 25, 2010
scoolro, You pretty much just nailed my thoughts on the unit. I have noticed the issue where the volume keeps going up or down and the major issue of the radio always starting which all seem to be related. I've realized I hate the whole "no physical button" set up and would recommend to anyone interested in the unit to get one with buttons. I was working on resolving the issue with the radio starting up but haven't had time to continue. I want to try a vanilla android on the unit but not sure if I'll ever get to that.
I agree that Atoto's customer service was very good, they replaced my unit after I, somehow, accidentally overwrote the preloader. (Don't touch preloader) I believe there is another update out for the unit but I couldn't find a download link anywhere for it and couldn't pull it ota. If anyone has it and could post it, that would be super.
Choppman, which model do you have? You could possibly re-flash the recovery partition with the sp flash tool or, if need be, the whole rom.

stabone00

Jul 25, 2010
Nm about the update, Atoto has a notice on their site now. http://support.myatoto.com/show-29-13-1.html
They have bug fixes listed:Some known bugs this firmware has fixed as follows (not all are listed):
live wallpaper applied after change can not be saved;
Radio app prompts out unexpected when users restart the A6, or radio app starts to run when audio from third party app stops
Adapted to working with new released ATOTO Dab+ receiver firmware. Only Buyers from EU may need to buy additional ATOTO Dab+ receiver and download ATOTO Dab+ Player app.
Touchscreen firmware has been optimized;
improper alert prompts when USB 3G Dongle is inserted;
Newer EasyConnect app is included;
Others;

scoolro, the notice starts with this:
New A6 firmware update for current inventory & previous sold products is available.It has included improvements on certain bugs, and the most important change is about built-in Radio app prompting without being opened manually in certain cases, which had been reported as one of the most concerned issues. Now it has been completely fixed!,
Lets find out.

Last edited:

Hippie459MN

scoolro, the notice starts with this:
New A6 firmware update for current inventory & previous sold products is available.It has included improvements on certain bugs, and the most important change is about built-in Radio app prompting without being opened manually in certain cases, which had been reported as one of the most concerned issues. Now it has been completely fixed!,
Lets find out.

I scared to update just cause I dont want to loose root and have to do it all over so if someone else wants to try it first. haha

Here is the link to the update.zip provided directly from Atoto so you dont have to go to the web site if you dont want to.
The password to download it is 1234
https://www.adrive.com/public/Khb2RE/update.zip

Here is the update guide - http://support.myatoto.com/uploadfile/SystemFirmware/A6-2018-04-02/SystemFirmwareUpdateGuide-EN.pdf

So if anyone wants to give the update a go, please do and report back. That radio turning on all the time would be great to have fixed.

Also, I noticed in another bulletin, they are working on the A6 Pro and it looks to be an A6 with some nice physical buttons. I might have to upgrade when it comes out.

stabone00

Jul 25, 2010
I screwed up this installation, but you will probably lose root. I'll mess with this a little later.
After the update, MCU updates.
Does not go right to radio I can surely say. LOL

chopperman296

Jun 28, 2010
Stuck in boot loop after factory reset

The unit was working fine until I did a factory reset.
The reason I did a factory reset was because I couldn’t get a CD to enter the slot, and assumed another CD was stuck inside. Haven’t played a CD for ages so can’t remember if one was left inside or not.
Tried a factory reset to start from scratch, but now can’t get past the boot loop.
I’m really annoyed with myself now for doing this, it would be great if I could get it going again. It’s a great radio.

keithobri

Sep 21, 2011
I have installed the Atoto A6Y2721PB on my 2017 Honda Accord Sport. I am having an issue with the ASWC-1. I have updated both firmwares to the most recent versions. When I go to program the Steering Wheel Controls through the Atoto system, it is only recognizing no more than 3 of the buttons on the Steering Wheel. Right now it is configured for Pioneer/Jensen as that is what Atoto Customer Service recommended. However, the only buttons recognized are Volume Up, Seek forward, and Seek Backward. It does not recognize volume down, source, or any of the lower buttons: Pick Up Phone, Hang Up Phone/Back, or Voice Command. I tried every brand available on the ASWC-1 manual stereo program, as well as the Auto stereo program, and some recognize the source and volume down buttons, but none recognize the lower (Pick Up Phone, Hang Up Phone/Back, or Voice Command) buttons. I have tried wiring the Atoto to the 3.5mm female multiple ways as well, sometimes different buttons will work, but no more than 3. I am not getting any errors while setting up the ASWC-1, I get the 7 Green LED blinks, and the Red Solid LED as well. Any ideas or recommendations?

This is installed with the Metra 99-7804 kit for my vehicle.

Hippie459MN

I dont have any experience with the Metra kit for the SWC but with my PAC unit in my Chevy Tahoe, PAC told me just to use the Key plus wire I think it was but that didnt work. I ended up having to use both the key and key plus wire. I soldered a 3.5mm female jack to the two and then just pluged in the 3.5 mm male plug from the PAC unit into it and worked great.

EDIT: I know my PAC unit wont work with steering wheels that the climate controls on them. And by that, I mean the climate controls on the steering wheel wont work anymore but everything else will. Getting the SWC to work can be a pain sometimes. Took a bit for me to figure it out on the head unit once I got them actually working.

Last edited:
Reactions: keithobri

keithobri

Sep 21, 2011
I dont have any experience with the Metra kit for the SWC but with my PAC unit in my Chevy Tahoe, PAC told me just to use the Key plus wire I think it was but that didnt work. I ended up having to use both the key and key plus wire. I soldered a 3.5mm female jack to the two and then just pluged in the 3.5 mm male plug from the PAC unit into it and worked great.

EDIT: I know my PAC unit wont work with steering wheels that the climate controls on them. And by that, I mean the climate controls on the steering wheel wont work anymore but everything else will. Getting the SWC to work can be a pain sometimes. Took a bit for me to figure it out on the head unit once I got them actually working.

I appreciate the quick response. The ASWC-1 comes with a female jack which has 2 wires (brown and brown/white). I have tried connecting 1 wire and every combination of the 2 wires to both SWC Key wires on the Atoto A6, and it is the same every single time, just the buttons change, but never more than 3 of the primary 5 work. I have been in contact with Axxess/Metra as well as Atoto Customer Service and cannot seem to get anywhere with it. Thinking my only option may be a bypass/work-around by isolating the SWC wires from the vehicle and connecting them to the Atoto directly, but that may be beyond my skill level.

Hippie459MN

I know figuring out how to set the SWC was tricky to figure out and was a bit of a headache but once I figured it out it was pretty easy.. And what sucks is you cant just change one if you want, you have to go through them all just to change one button.

scoolro

Aug 18, 2010
Sorry for my absence everyone. Just been busy with other projects. All in all don't care for the Atoto. Scared to install firmware, I read someone is stuck on a boot loop. I think he installed wrong firmware because our units don't have CD. Unless he meant SD. Just a nuisance this stereo can be. The radio issue having to be played first and not a big fan of the sound quality and the bass sound it sets off. The Bass set up is horrible.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So far I was able to extract the boot and recovery img files. You can connect to the preloader using SP Flash by setting it up to read
    Have you had luck in unbricking your atoto?
    I'm thinking about buying one also buy would like to root with kingroot and put a recovery into stereo if it's possible. Let me know your success is possible.

Thanks
    Steven

So far it seems to be a very solid unit. Rooting it isn't an issue. I had been trying different things with this unit and at one point I thought it was almost unbrickable. It still might be, just haven't found a solution for my issue (which was completely my fault), although I'm pretty confident there is one. There is a lot of info about mediatek devices on here, a bit different approach when flashing a custom recovery.
    Overall I was liking the unit, hadn't seen any issues some of the others had. Hope to see more people getting involved.
    After the last time I did a factory reset, I used kingoroot and then I used the supersu.apk from the zip and installed it with adb. After it said it failed I reset and SuperSu had root. Then I removed kingouser. The first time I pretty much did this: https://appuals.com/replace-kingoroot-supersu/ . Give that a try.