• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Bricked? Bootloop to TWRP > Stuck on TWRP Logo > Fastboot not recognized > No way out?

Search This thread

FlashyDuck

Oct 24, 2021
Hope you guys can give me a hand and get me out of this situation...

What I am using
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro with:
- Pixel Experience Rom
- TWRP 3.5.2_9
Windows 10 21H1 x64

What happend
- Updating Pixel Experience Rom failed
Downloaded update
Booted into Recovery (battery 85%)
Recovery stuck on Logo
After 30m I tried to reboot to system (thinking update failed or never started)
Reboot in to Recovery
Stuck on Logo

What I tried
- I tried XiaomiFastBootADBTools (latest version)
Device is recognized in Recovery mode
In recovery I can't do anything
Rebooting to System from here results in reboot into Recovery
Booting to fastboot works, but device is not recognized
Re-installed drivers, but no luck
Still recognized in Recovery mode
Still NOT recognized in Fastboot mode
Windows Device Manager > The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
And turning of phone is not possible, just goes back to Recovery

Don't know what else to do. I have installed all the drivers I could find. Even used Snappy Driver, but nothing seems to do the trick when the phone goes into Fastboot mode. PC just doesn't recognize it.

So can't do anything in Recovery mode; just watching the TWRP logo.
And device is not recognized in fastboot mode; forgot usb debugging?
And can't boot into system to change that, because of bootloop to Recovery.

So, am I **** out of luck and bricked my phone?

Last edited:

zaqm

Apr 8, 2017
While in Recovery mode (when the phone is still recognized) type in adb window the command - adb reboot bootloader. Phone should boot to Fastboot mode and see if it's still recognized.

FlashyDuck

Oct 24, 2021
While in Recovery mode (when the phone is still recognized) type in adb window the command - adb reboot bootloader. Phone should boot to Fastboot mode and see if it's still recognized.
Yeah, that works. Same as with XiaomiADBFastbootTools. But after that the problem starts (remains).

When I get into Fastboot the Device Manager shows the phone as Other Devices > Android with an exclamation mark and the message that the drivers are not installed. I'm missing a driver, but I don't know which one. Guessing Xiaomi USB driver? Finally fixed that issue with another round of googling. I read that you just need net "Mi unlock Tool". So tyring to find that one:
- https://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html
results in a download that doesn't contain the files needed.... No driver_install and no miflash_unlock.exe etc.

pretty weird, found another page https://c.mi.com/thread-2262302-1-0.html with previous versions
- 4.5.813.51 won't download... really xiaomi, your site sucks.
- 4.5.707.49 finally downloads and seems to work.
So updated the driver by pointing to that folder. Worked like a charm.

Opening Minimal ADB and Fastboot (XiaomiADBFastboottools didn't recognize phone once in fastboot).
- adb reboot bootloader > success
- fastboot flash recovery 'recovery_file_location' > error
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'recovery' (47140 KB)...
FAILED (remote: Requested download size is more than max allowed
)
finished. total time: 0.004s

Tried both latest TWRP and Orangefox. Same message each time.
Tried an older/smaller TWRP 3.3.1 and got a different but still similar message

target didn't report max-download-size
sending 'recovery' (38924 KB)...
)

Tried it with Platform-Tools
- adb reboot bootloader
- fastboot boot 'recovery_file_location'

Which results in
Sending 'boot.img' (43884 KB) FAILED (Write to device failed (Invalid argument))
fastboot: error: Command failed
OR
Sending 'boot.img' (43884 KB) FAILED (Write to device failed (Too many links))
AND eventually
Sending 'boot.img' (43884 KB) FAILED (Write to device failed (no link))

2 hours in, calling it a day for now.

zaqm

Apr 8, 2017
Yeah, that works. Same as with XiaomiADBFastbootTools. But after that the problem starts (remains).

When I get into Fastboot the Device Manager shows the phone as Other Devices > Android with an exclamation mark and the message that the drivers are not installed. I'm missing a driver, but I don't know which one. Guessing Xiaomi USB driver? Finally fixed that issue with another round of googling. I read that you just need net "Mi unlock Tool". So tyring to find that one:
results in a download that doesn't contain the files needed.... No driver_install and no miflash_unlock.exe etc.

pretty weird, found another page https://c.mi.com/thread-2262302-1-0.html with previous versions

Opening Minimal ADB and Fastboot (XiaomiADBFastboottools didn't recognize phone once in fastboot).
)

)

- adb reboot bootloader

Which results in
Sending 'boot.img' (43884 KB) FAILED (Write to device failed (Invalid argument))
OR
AND eventually

What about trying to flash latest fastboot rom with MiFlash since fastboot now works?

• Love
Reactions: FlashyDuck

FlashyDuck

Oct 24, 2021
Absolutely awesome! We did it!

I'm no expert in all this, so I had to use a guide to flash a fastboot rom with the Mi Flash Tool. I used this guide: https://www.thecustomdroid.com/install-miui-fastboot-rom-using-miflash-tool-xiaomi/

That was all straight forward untill I came to step 6; flashing the actual rom with the Mi Flash Tool.

The tool just wouldn't recognize my phone when in Fastboot mode. Even after the driver install popup.
- after pressing refresh phone disconnected.
- tried 3 different usb ports (read online that this could be the issue)
- tried 3 different cables...

The third cable (Ugreen cable) worked! Although it only worked on a usb 3.0 port strangely enough.

I used the "clean all" option and flashed the latest MIUI global fastboot rom for the RMN5.
Flashing process was a bit strange, because the tool didn't provide me with the same information shown in the guide, but it flashed a couple of things to 100% completeness and after that it kept counting up and showing $pause. Not much later the phone started to boot into MIUI and everything was normal.

Enabled dev options and usb debugging.
Re-flashed latest twrp recovery just to be sure.

And it's all working fine again.

Really, thank you for your help! It's much appreciated!

Reactions: zaqm

zaqm

Apr 8, 2017

I'm no expert in all this, so I had to use a guide to flash a fastboot rom with the Mi Flash Tool. I used this guide: https://www.thecustomdroid.com/install-miui-fastboot-rom-using-miflash-tool-xiaomi/

That was all straight forward untill I came to step 6; flashing the actual rom with the Mi Flash Tool.

The tool just wouldn't recognize my phone when in Fastboot mode. Even after the driver install popup.

The third cable (Ugreen cable) worked! Although it only worked on a usb 3.0 port strangely enough.

I used the "clean all" option and flashed the latest MIUI global fastboot rom for the RMN5.
Flashing process was a bit strange, because the tool didn't provide me with the same information shown in the guide, but it flashed a couple of things to 100% completeness and after that it kept counting up and showing $pause. Not much later the phone started to boot into MIUI and everything was normal.

Glad that it worked out. Sometimes even the most untraditional methods work like usb 3.0 and the third cable.
Still all went good and that's the good news. Enjoy

FlashyDuck

Oct 24, 2021
Glad that it worked out. Sometimes even the most untraditional methods work like usb 3.0 and the third cable.
Still all went good and that's the good news. Enjoy
Unfortunately, the problem has returned.

The first time flashing Orange Fox Recovery was no problem. I could boot to Recovery. I installed Pixel Experience Plus again. That all worked fine.

Today I wanted to try out ArrowOS. And this is what I did:
- loaded the .zip file on the phone
- turned off the phone
- booted into recovery
- stuck on recovery logo screen...
- after this the phone bootloops to recovery again as before...

In Recovery and Fastboot the phone is still recognized by the PC. But in Recovery I can't do anything.

So in Fastboot mode I tried re-flashing Orange Fox , but same result. Flashing seems successful but can't get past the Recovery logo. I even tried flashing TWRP, but also same result.

I can probably redo all the steps in my previous post, but once I boot to recovery the phone is done for it seems.

Any ideas?

zaqm

Apr 8, 2017

The first time flashing Orange Fox Recovery was no problem. I could boot to Recovery. I installed Pixel Experience Plus again. That all worked fine.

- turned off the phone
- booted into recovery

In Recovery and Fastboot the phone is still recognized by the PC. But in Recovery I can't do anything.

So in Fastboot mode I tried re-flashing Orange Fox , but same result. Flashing seems successful but can't get past the Recovery logo. I even tried flashing TWRP, but also same result.

I can probably redo all the steps in my previous post, but once I boot to recovery the phone is done for it seems.

Any ideas?
Hmm, I don't know why is that happening. It's usually the custom recovery's fault in such case except if Pixel rom comes with its own prebuilt recovery that overwrites the one you installed.
I suggest you first to try to boot into system to see if it will work - in fastboot mode type the command fastboot reboot.
If this doesn't work then flash again fastboot rom to get the phone in working condition and after installing twrp FORMAT DATA in twrp Wipe section. Then install rom again.

Good luck, zaqm!

Reactions: FlashyDuck

FlashyDuck

Oct 24, 2021
Hmm, I don't know why is that happening. It's usually the custom recovery's fault in such case except if Pixel rom comes with its own prebuilt recovery that overwrites the one you installed.
I suggest you first to try to boot into system to see if it will work - in fastboot mode type the command fastboot reboot.
If this doesn't work then flash again fastboot rom to get the phone in working condition and after installing twrp FORMAT DATA in twrp Wipe section. Then install rom again.

Good luck, zaqm!
It worked!

Don't know why, but it's working. Here's what I did:
- In Fastboot Mode > fastboot reboot > booted to recovery, so no luck there
- Used MiFlash to flash the fastboot rom again (clean all)
- Setup the phone etc. and activated usb debugging
- Flashed TWRP
- Booted to TWRP
- Format Data
- Rebooted to TWRP
- Mounted Storage, uploaded ArrowOS.zip and installed it
- Wiped Dalvik/Cache
- Booted ArrowOS, and success!

Have done several reboots to (and from) system/recovery and it just works again, as it should.

I think the Format Data in TWRP did the trick. I remember in Orange Fox this all was a bit unclear; I'm just not used to Orange Fox, always used TWRP. So my bad for not correctly flashing the rom probably.

Again, thank you very much for your help! Have a great day! And let's hope this is the end of this issue haha.

zaqm

Apr 8, 2017
It worked!

Don't know why, but it's working. Here's what I did:
- In Fastboot Mode > fastboot reboot > booted to recovery, so no luck there
- Used MiFlash to flash the fastboot rom again (clean all)
- Setup the phone etc. and activated usb debugging
- Flashed TWRP
- Booted to TWRP
- Format Data
- Rebooted to TWRP
- Mounted Storage, uploaded ArrowOS.zip and installed it
- Wiped Dalvik/Cache
- Booted ArrowOS, and success!

Have done several reboots to (and from) system/recovery and it just works again, as it should.

I think the Format Data in TWRP did the trick. I remember in Orange Fox this all was a bit unclear; I'm just not used to Orange Fox, always used TWRP. So my bad for not correctly flashing the rom probably.

Again, thank you very much for your help! Have a great day! And let's hope this is the end of this issue haha.
Maybe some glitch of OrangeFox recovery and yeah, let's hope that this issue won't appear anymore.
All the best, zaqm!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

)

)

- adb reboot bootloader

Which results in
    OR
    AND eventually

What about trying to flash latest fastboot rom with MiFlash since fastboot now works?

- turned off the phone
    - booted into recovery

Any ideas?

Good luck, zaqm!