Question Bricked my Prixel 6 after flashing stock rom

Search This thread
I'm having the exact same issue with my Pixel 6 Pro. I had flashed the November factory image and didn't have any problems. When I flashed the December factory image, it gave me the corrupt device message. After a couple more attempts at booting, the screen went black and all I get is the Pixel ROM recovery icon in Devices and Printers on my computer when I connect a USB cable. No combination of button pushing for any length of time has any effect. The only option is to contact Google Support and go through the ordeal of getting a RMA to return the phone for warranty repair or replacement. They first told me to take it to a local UBreakIFix shop, but when I called them they didn't have an appointment for at least a week and a half. Then I tried to file a claim with Assurant, but that only works when the Google Factory Warranty has ended. I finally got an RMA number by chatting with Google Support online and will be sending the phone back to them. I will definitely do the OTA updates before rooting when I get the phone back.

summitfox

Dec 8, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
This exact same thing happened to me after I flashed the December update. Screen went black forever, and had to do a warranty claim. After a ton of research, there are at least a dozen others like this and they all seem to have the same thing happen where their phone bricks when flashing the December update through fastboot. That December update is wicked. Avoid that file at all costs and wait until the late January drop.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
This is so strange that so many people have had their devices bricked after flashing the December update. I know many people who had no problems (including myself), so I'm thinking their must be some common denominator for those who ended up bricked. In an effort to find this possible common denominator and possibly avoid this problem in the future, maybe if those of you who ended up bricked and are willing to answer a few questions, we can get to the bottom of this?

1. Were you using the latest Platform Tools (31.0.3)?
2. Did you have the latest USB drivers installed for Windows (usb_driver_r13-windows.zip) https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb
2. Were you using Windows or Mac OS/Linux?
3. Were you using PowerShell, Command prompt, Windows Terminal or other? (If PowerShell, was it PowerShell7?)
4. Were you using USB A to C or C to C?
5. Did you use the flash-all.bat command or manually enter the fastboot update commands?
6. Which factory image did you flash? (A1, A4, US Carriers or A5?)
7. Did you previously flash the November update using the same method, etc. with same ports/cords as you used for the December update with no problems?
8. Did you leave in or omit the -w in the flash-all.bat script or in the fastboot update command line?
9. Did you previously disable verity and verification on the November update before flashing?
10. Did you disable verity and verification when flashing the December update?

Probably some other things I could ask, but I think this covers a lot of areas. Anyone game? Thanks...

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
This is so strange that so many people have had their devices bricked after flashing the December update. I know many people who had no problems (including myself), so I'm thinking their must be some common denominator for those who ended up bricked. In an effort to find this possible common denominator and possibly avoid this problem in the future, maybe if those of you who ended up bricked and are willing to answer a few questions, we can get to the bottom of this?

2. Did you have the latest USB drivers installed for Windows (usb_driver_r13-windows.zip) https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb
3. Were you using PowerShell, Command prompt, Windows Terminal or other? (If PowerShell, was it PowerShell7?)
5. Did you use the flash-all.bat command or manually enter the fastboot update commands?
7. Did you previously flash the November update using the same method, etc. with same ports/cords as you used for the December update with no problems?
8. Did you leave in or omit the -w in the flash-all.bat script or in the fastboot update command line?
9. Did you previously disable verity and verification on the November update before flashing?

Probably some other things I could ask, but I think this covers a lot of areas. Anyone game? Thanks...
I had a similar issue (the Corrupt message) and also had no life on the phone for a few hours. couldn't boot to fastboot mode or anything - but was able to bring back my device (but it took over 10 tries).

I was bootloader unlocked. Stock Android (no root, nothing in the system disabled, no other customizations)
Latest Platform-Tools for windows 10
Downloaded the Full Factory Image (Not the ota) (, non-carrier editions for Canada/Global - always)
In windows, just opened the flash-all.bat file like I've done every 3 months since 2016. it completed, but wouldn't boot. Corrupted message appeared.

had to download the build image from october (but it took 3 tries) and finally got it to work.
Anker USB-C to USB-A cable
Global versions of all images
didn't change -w option
didn't change any verity or debugging option ever

I did have to pick "Flash all slots" and "Wipe device" - which I didn't do on my first 2 attempts...

Last edited:

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
I'm having the exact same issue with my Pixel 6 Pro. I had flashed the November factory image and didn't have any problems. When I flashed the December factory image, it gave me the corrupt device message. After a couple more attempts at booting, the screen went black and all I get is the Pixel ROM recovery icon in Devices and Printers on my computer when I connect a USB cable. No combination of button pushing for any length of time has any effect. The only option is to contact Google Support and go through the ordeal of getting a RMA to return the phone for warranty repair or replacement. They first told me to take it to a local UBreakIFix shop, but when I called them they didn't have an appointment for at least a week and a half. Then I tried to file a claim with Assurant, but that only works when the Google Factory Warranty has ended. I finally got an RMA number by chatting with Google Support online and will be sending the phone back to them. I will definitely do the OTA updates before rooting when I get the phone back.
did you send in your device yet?
Can you try holding the power button for 30 seconds? and try it with different pressure points, and different parts of the power button using volume-down also) and without a case?

I know it sounds weird, and I've been doing this since Nexus 4 days, but it took me more than 8 attempts to get the phone to load to the bootloader. It only worked after removing the case, and trying different positions on the power button - I know it sounds crazy but I confirmed it that was the case.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT
did you send in your device yet?
Can you try holding the power button for 30 seconds? and try it with different pressure points, and different parts of the power button using volume-down also) and without a case?

I know it sounds weird, and I've been doing this since Nexus 4 days, but it took me more than 8 attempts to get the phone to load to the bootloader. It only worked after removing the case, and trying different positions on the power button - I know it sounds crazy but I confirmed it that was the case.
I've tried every combination of buttons, holding them for at least 30 seconds. I even tried holding for more than 60 seconds. I'm pretty sure the phone is now in the Tensor chip version of EDL mode and there's no way to bring it back. I once had the same problem with a Pixel XL and had to send it back to Google.

westhaking

Jan 18, 2009
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 6 Pro

I had the same issue. Initiated an RMA through t-mobile which took about a week.

1. Yes
2. linux
3. linux terminal
4. C to C
5. flash-all.sh
6. US carriers
7. yes
8. Omitted the -w
9. Yes
10. Yes

Last edited:

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
edit> This might be related, not sure but now I get the corrupted message..

I just found a crazy bug. wow.
Stock setup. was disabling location access to apps and services in the Privacy menu. (not through adb or anything, just using the Privacy settings menu) and as soon as I disabled location service for "ImsService" the phone will only boot into Android Recovery" and display the the message "your data is corrupt"
interesting.
I can boot to Android but after 2 seconds, It restarts. So close to getting back to the setting but it's one touch away....
ImsService sseems to be a Samsung service for communication...

edit#2
so I can confirm this is a pretty interesting bug. just changing the location setting for Android app/process called "ImsSetting" in Privacy, Permission Manager --> Location (show system apps), makes your device completely inoperable - adb ota, flashing the factory image and removing the -w command so it doesn't wipe the phone, all do not work. Factory reset is the only way.

Last edited:
Update --- I got a replacement Pixel 6 Pro from Google and unlocked the bootloader. I took all of the OTA updates before rooting with Magisk.
All went well. I then tried to update my wife's phone. I reverted back to the stock boot with the Magisk uninstall, then tried to do an OTA update.
The update kept failing. It would tell me that the update was paused, then when I restarted, it failed again. After 3 attempts, I decided to just flash the January factory image and wipe data.
It rebooted okay after that and I used Magisk to reroot.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Update --- I got a replacement Pixel 6 Pro from Google and unlocked the bootloader. I took all of the OTA updates before rooting with Magisk.
All went well. I then tried to update my wife's phone. I reverted back to the stock boot with the Magisk uninstall, then tried to do an OTA update.
The update kept failing. It would tell me that the update was paused, then when I restarted, it failed again. After 3 attempts, I decided to just flash the January factory image and wipe data.
It rebooted okay after that and I used Magisk to reroot.
What version of Magisk were you on when you tried to update your wife's phone via OTA?

EDIT: What I'm really trying to get at is were you using the re-implemented method of "install to inactive slot" that is available in the latest Canary and Beta versions when updating your wife's phone?

Last edited:
i wanted to add to this question. Did you have Magisk hide on, or did you rename Magisk, or any active modules? There's one module that says it can cause a lot of these problems.
I had Magisk Canary 23011 installed when I tried to do the update. It did not include Magiskhide and I unhid the Magisk app before I started. On my new phone, and after I flashed the update on my wife's phone, I used Magisk Canary 24001 to root the phones. The only modules I had loaded were Universal Safetynet Fix v2.2.1 and Systemless Hosts.

• Wow
What version of Magisk were you on when you tried to update your wife's phone via OTA?

EDIT: What I'm really trying to get at is were you using the re-implemented method of "install to inactive slot" that is available in the latest Canary and Beta versions when updating your wife's phone?
Magisk Canary 23011. I did the Magisk uninstall / restore images before doing the OTA update.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Gotcha. You were on an older version that doesn't have the "install to inactive slot" option in Magisk.
Not only that, but any version of Magisk prior to Canary 23016 does not properly handle the Android 12 boot image, nor does it load fstab properly for the Pixel 6.

@mike163 you need to be using Canary 23016 or newer, or Beta 24.0.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Not only that, but any version of Magisk prior to Canary 23016 does not properly handle the Android 12 boot image, nor does it load fstab properly for the Pixel 6.

Yep. I'm guessing when he said he "had 23011 installed", meaning (I assume) that he was using the phone with that version, that he was on the October or November build because, as you said, the December build introduced the fstab fiasco which was fixed in 23016 with the load fstab to system/etc commit. And that he have had to also disable verity and verification for it to boot with that version.

I was initially worried that he was trying the re-implemented option to "install to inactive slot" via OTA on the latest Magisk and it wasn't working. Now we know that was not the case, which is good. February testing still awaits us to make sure it indeed does work 🙂

Sep 7, 2018
Hi there,

I am looking for some guidance on my bricked Pixel 6 Pro.

I transfered the data from my old pixel, but then decided to do a full flash to refresh. Downloaded the stock image from google, used the fastboot-all script to flash the phone, but as soon as it was done, I never reboot. my phone is looking completely dead since.

Attempt # 1
- black screen, with no sound to any actions of response to any key combination (power or volume keys).
- tried holding the power button for 60 secs, no response
- tried holding power and volume down, no response
- tried holding power and volume up, no response
- when I plug the phone on charge, no response. neither the charging display.

Atempt # 2
- Only time the phone shows some sign of life, is when I connect the phone to my PC, it makes a sound of detecting a device, but then instantly it get a disconnect sound, (in 2-3 sec).
- I tried holding the power button, while plugged in. it makes a sound of usb detection, (but no visual response on the phone) after holder for 30 secs, it makes another sound of usb detach.
- While I am experimentating with PC connection, I also tried fastboot reboot command, it only shows waiting for a device and nothing happens, either on the console or phone.

Not sure, if I have bricked the bootloader, and if yes, what can be done? Any guidance in this regards will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
你好,我的Pixel 6 Pro也出现了和你一样的情况,请问您解决了吗?
Hello, my Pixel 6 Pro also has the same situation as yours, have you solved it?

• Wow

kacper111

Sep 28, 2016
I have this exact issue except when using flash-all.bat with the Jan full image. IIRC just before the screen went black and bricked, the power shell gave the error along the lines of cannot find boot slot a. After that, everything was the same as the OP. No response, can't be detected by the pc, cant go into recovery or bootloader

• Wow

regardtv

Mar 19, 2007
Johannesburg
Google Pixel 5
Anyone found a solution to the EUB mode for the Pixel Rom Recovery via USB?

It's clearly a recovery of some sort but we're missing the tools .... If anyone has a link to a any non-standard tool that could help ... Open to try anything. Google not generally available here so cannot just send it in for a replacement.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had the same issue, my device the same state as you, this is what I have found for now:

When I press Power + V up or down the phone will enter a new mode and the phone will announce the name Google Inc. Pixel ROM Recovery though the USB, you can check that while holding Power + V up or down:

Linux:
    Code:
    lsusb

Windows:
    Open Device Manger -> Serial Ports -> COMX

Now we know the device in Serial mode which mean the device still somehow alive? xD
    ok, lets read what the serial port sent:

Linux:
    Code:
    sudo cat /dev/ttyACM0

Windows:
    using putty connect to COMX

output:
    Code:
    exynos_usb_booting::09XXXXXXXe8cXXXXXXXXXXXXXf

eub:req:09XXXXXX:DPM
    C
    C

and It keep repeating until I stop pressing the buttons

from the output "exynos_usb_booting" and device name in usb "Pixel ROM Recovery", it seem to be some kind of low level recovery system from the new SOC.

search "exynos_usb_booting" in google show nothing, but an interesting results show up:

which confirm there is a way to boot some bootloader images from the usb, which in my case is needed.

I built "Heimdall" tool and try to detect the device using
    Code:
    heimdall detect
    but unfortunately it did not detect any device.
    If any one know how to deal with Samsung exynos based device bricked cases let us know, it might be handy.

+

If anyone know how to claim device replacement online let me know =).
    From memory you can revive it through QPST and orher Qualcomm utilities, however hard part is to get the files. the phone is too new and many shops dont have the unlock tools yet.

" While I am experimentating with PC connection, I also tried fastboot reboot command, it only shows waiting for a device and nothing happens, either on the console or phone. " - this is still good news, as phone is being detected by windows, try to install Qualcomm drivers and see if you can get it to boot into EDL. GOOD LUCK.
    There is no Qualcomm in this phone. I've been using QPST and QXDM in one way or another for almost 20 years and this is not accurate.

There are no tools for this phone and even the Samsung ones we suspect might work like newer un-leaked versions of ShannonDM are for modem diag only. Not quite as powerful as QPST and QXDM which can provision a phone with said tools or maybe even mess around with the firmware-level EFS filesystem, but not unbrick one.

If there's an EDL/Sahara/Firehose mode equivalent for this phone, I've yet to see it. A OnePlus-style unbrick tool or open-source equivalent like bkerler's would be nice. Wouldn't be surprised if you needed a jig to short pins in the USB port or something directly on the motherboard to access. Whatever "Rescue Mode" is in the bootloader, it doesn't seem low-level enough.
    Gotcha. You were on an older version that doesn't have the "install to inactive slot" option in Magisk.

Like @Baumhouse I went through something similar. Two things for me: it took way longer to hold power and volume down than any other phone I've owned. I was seriously concerned I wasn't going to get there. Two, the factory images all made it to fastbootd and then failed all because I hadn't updated to the latest SDK.

Just throwing this out in hopes you don't have to send it back.
    edit> This might be related, not sure but now I get the corrupted message..

I just found a crazy bug. wow.
    Stock setup. was disabling location access to apps and services in the Privacy menu. (not through adb or anything, just using the Privacy settings menu) and as soon as I disabled location service for "ImsService" the phone will only boot into Android Recovery" and display the the message "your data is corrupt"
    interesting.
    I can boot to Android but after 2 seconds, It restarts. So close to getting back to the setting but it's one touch away....
    ImsService sseems to be a Samsung service for communication...

edit#2
    so I can confirm this is a pretty interesting bug. just changing the location setting for Android app/process called "ImsSetting" in Privacy, Permission Manager --> Location (show system apps), makes your device completely inoperable - adb ota, flashing the factory image and removing the -w command so it doesn't wipe the phone, all do not work. Factory reset is the only way.