Bricked Nexus 5x, bootloop, bootloader locked

Search This thread

balakarpo

Jan 5, 2023
Yea, looking at the log everything appears to be okay until that last line. Did you use flash-all.bat from the factory image bullhead-opm7.181205.001-factory-5f189d84.zip?
No, I used "flash-all.sh" as I am on Linux, always used Linux terminal for this.
You are saying that everithing looking good, if you mean "log" the attachment from my post, I think several things are not looking good there, as there you have several lines saying "Archive does not contain <something.img>"

bjlabuk

Jan 31, 2011
LG Nexus 5X
Xiaomi Redmi S2
Yes, there are messages about the archive, but no errors. I always use Windows so maybe there is a difference. You could expand the factory image and look for those files. I did and couldn't find them, so maybe they are irrelevant. The problem appears to be with 'userdata', so maybe from TWRP you can wipe data etc format and try flashing again?

balakarpo

Jan 5, 2023
Yes, there are messages about the archive, but no errors. I always use Windows so maybe there is a difference. You could expand the factory image and look for those files. I did and couldn't find them, so maybe they are irrelevant. The problem appears to be with 'userdata', so maybe from TWRP you can wipe data etc format and try flashing again?
I have just tried to boot in to TWRP, but it did not load, just looped back to Google logo and died again. I connected it to charger and will try after some time.
I used "..boot.." and not "..flash.." in the command like:
`sudo fastboot boot twrp-3.5.2_9-0-bullhead.img`
it always worked. I was always just booting into TWRP to do all wiping and formating.
What is the difference using `..boot..` or `..flash..` in this command?

balakarpo

Jan 5, 2023
Thanks.
I'll use "..flash.." - if it will not work I do it all on Windows machine and post the results.
I know this phone is quite old now, but it is compatible with custom roms and don't want to dump it.
By the way, a couple of days ago I flashed "lineage-20.0-20230312-nightly-channel-signed" on my Motorola Moto g7 play and it rolls well. I have Android 13 on the device now, which is limited to Android 10 =)
Thanks for your help and time (y)

bjlabuk

Jan 31, 2011
LG Nexus 5X
Xiaomi Redmi S2
The motherboard finally arrived (one week ago) and I managed to replace it. Wasn't much or complicated work (no adhesives) and now I'm trying to install a custom rom. :)
Very good! Yes, the Nexus 5X is very easy to take apart. If you want to replace the battery you just need a bottle of Isopropanol (50ml), or similar alcohol solution, to drip down the sides of the battery to loosen the adhesive holding it in place, then work it loose with a thin plastic card. You can pick up new batteries on Ebay. Then you have a new motherboard, new battery and are ready to go!

balakarpo

Jan 5, 2023
Hi
I tried to flash TWRP to my Nexus 5x as from our posts above and
it gave me error (I did not take screenshot), it did not work.

I did not try it on Windows yet, but I believe it will not make any difference in this case.

I had to disassemble the phone, unplug and re-plug the battery again to make it boot into fastboot menu.

I think it's time to get new mainboard to sort it out.

bjlabuk

Jan 31, 2011
LG Nexus 5X
Xiaomi Redmi S2
Hi
I tried to flash TWRP to my Nexus 5x as from our posts above and
it gave me error (I did not take screenshot), it did not work.

I did not try it on Windows yet, but I believe it will not make any difference in this case.

I had to disassemble the phone, unplug and re-plug the battery again to make it boot into fastboot menu.

I think it's time to get new mainboard to sort it out.
I have bricked my phone. I installed one of the unofficial 12L builds, then TWRP, then Magisk and Supersu. All appeared fine. Then I installed Busybox and halfway through the phone packed in and now appears dead. Can't even get EDL mode. I think you have to be careful not to push these phones beyond their capabilities.