Bricked Oneplus 8T (device state - locked) data recovery

Search This thread

AK138

May 24, 2022
Hi All!

I am in a bit of an unfortunate situation, and am also not that knowledgeable with Android.

I want to recover data on my phone, I would be happy with just recovering the photos.

My Oneplus 8T currently gives me a Quallcom crash dump error when trying to boot. I am also able to go into Fastboot mode with the power button + volume up/down.

Just now, I tried booting the device to TWRP recovery. I first installed Google usb driver, then updated the driver of my Oneplus 8T in device manager. I installed a TWRP recovery image of a Oneplus 8T and put that file where I downloaded Google platform tools. I then ran 'fastboot devices' and saw my device. However, after running 'fastboot boot twrp.img', I received the error 'boot is not allowed in Lock state'.

I cannot remember if USB debugging is enabled or not. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out as online articles have been quite useless and also very confusing.

Last edited:

scottlam1

Aug 16, 2011
Try fastboot getvar all then do fastboot set_active to either a or b depending on which partion you are on you want to change it also pretty sure USB debugging doesn't matter in bootloader you can also try fastboot oem unlock to unlock bootloader to boot twrp unless you updated to oos twrp doesn't work yet

Last edited:

JonasHS

Oct 15, 2020
No no no no.

you have loaded dynamic system image = Super image with incorrect.

Go to this link https://onepluscommunityserver.com/list/Unbrick_Tools/OnePlus_8T/

And choose your union and version you want.

Download better driver https://onepluscommunityserver.com/list/Unbrick_Tools/Qualcomm drivers.7z

Now you can use the MSM download troll and get your phone back. Install driver and unzip MSM. Start MSM with admin. Select download mode in MSM. Now press power and vol - and vol + at the same time. Your PC will see a new device. Your phone screen is black. Start MSM and wait for it to finish. Google Translate.

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
No no no no.

you have loaded dynamic system image = Super image with incorrect.

Go to this link https://onepluscommunityserver.com/list/Unbrick_Tools/OnePlus_8T/

And choose your union and version you want.

Download better driver https://onepluscommunityserver.com/list/Unbrick_Tools/Qualcomm drivers.7z

Now you can use the MSM download troll and get your phone back. Install driver and unzip MSM. Start MSM with admin. Select download mode in MSM. Now press power and vol - and vol + at the same time. Your PC will see a new device. Your phone screen is black. Start MSM and wait for it to finish. Google Translate.
With MSM he will get everything wiped on his device. This is not he is intending to do.

3MrBojangles3

Apr 30, 2021
OnePlus 7T
OnePlus 8T
Hi All!

I am in a bit of an unfortunate situation, and am also not that knowledgeable with Android.

I want to recover data on my phone, I would be happy with just recovering the photos.

My Oneplus 8T currently gives me a Quallcom crash dump error when trying to boot. I am also able to go into Fastboot mode with the power button + volume up/down.

Just now, I tried booting the device to TWRP recovery. I first installed Google usb driver, then updated the driver of my Oneplus 8T in device manager. I installed a TWRP recovery image of a Oneplus 8T and put that file where I downloaded Google platform tools. I then ran 'fastboot devices' and saw my device. However, after running 'fastboot boot twrp.img', I received the error 'boot is not allowed in Lock state'.

I cannot remember if USB debugging is enabled or not. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out as online articles have been quite useless and also very confusing.
Run fastboot flash recovery twrp.img ... And then fastboot reboot recovery or choose recovery on your phone.

Sometimes holding volume up and power to do a soft reset boots back into system worth a try.