• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Bricked Phone - Vibrating, No OS, No Recovery

Search This thread
Jun 24, 2021
Hello I think that I accidentally bricked my phone.
I wanted to install LineageOS and followed this tutorial in order to install twrp:

I only used this tutorial to install twrp.
The tutorial looks weird but it worked good. I need to say that i didn't manage to install anything with this twrp.

I wanted to install LineageOS from this tutorial:
I cleared the data, cache, system according to the tutorial.

I wanted to flash the new os but then the twrp said that this phone is "cactus" not "cereus" and the corner of the phone showed 6A, I noticed this only now.
But I think that my phone is cereus (My phone is Xiaomi Redmi 6) so I concluded that twrp must be wrong and went to obtain another twrp from this tutorial:

According to this post twrp can "flash itself": https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/175153/how-to-update-twrp-from-within-twrp
So I believed it and attempted to flash it. I then proceeded to "Boot into Recovery".
TWRP warned me that the device has no system, if I want to proceed, and this is my biggest failure, I pressed yes.

Now the phone has black screen and it keeps vibrating for roughly 20 seconds, than it abruptly stops for a second and then continues to vibrate again and loops in this behavior.

I tried connecting it to pc, no change
I tried pressing and holding power, no change
I tried holding power button and volume up, the device seems to be longer in "no vibration phase", nothing else noticed
I tried holding power button and volume down, device doesn't seem to react
I tried holding all buttons, device seems to be longer in "no vibration phase"

I might have tried the combinations wrong, I remember that pressing some combinations caused the device to be briefly recognized by computer, but I can't find that combination now.

So I am stuck with possibly bricked phone with no OS and possibly no recovery.
Do you know anything that could help me? I really want to repair this phone, if only for the sake of repairing it and restoring confidence in my abilities. The sounds of it vibrating slowly drives me mad.

Thanks in advance for your time and for any tips and responses!

Jun 24, 2021
I recognized this pattern.
If I press
volume up + power
or
volume up + volume down + power
then
device gets briefly recognized by windows, then gets disconnected and resumes anomalous cycle.

Austinredstoner

Feb 3, 2021
Moto G7
Hello I think that I accidentally bricked my phone.
I wanted to install LineageOS and followed this tutorial in order to install twrp:

I only used this tutorial to install twrp.
The tutorial looks weird but it worked good. I need to say that i didn't manage to install anything with this twrp.

I wanted to install LineageOS from this tutorial:
I cleared the data, cache, system according to the tutorial.

I wanted to flash the new os but then the twrp said that this phone is "cactus" not "cereus" and the corner of the phone showed 6A, I noticed this only now.
But I think that my phone is cereus (My phone is Xiaomi Redmi 6) so I concluded that twrp must be wrong and went to obtain another twrp from this tutorial:

According to this post twrp can "flash itself": https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/175153/how-to-update-twrp-from-within-twrp
So I believed it and attempted to flash it. I then proceeded to "Boot into Recovery".
TWRP warned me that the device has no system, if I want to proceed, and this is my biggest failure, I pressed yes.

Now the phone has black screen and it keeps vibrating for roughly 20 seconds, than it abruptly stops for a second and then continues to vibrate again and loops in this behavior.

I tried connecting it to pc, no change
I tried pressing and holding power, no change
I tried holding power button and volume up, the device seems to be longer in "no vibration phase", nothing else noticed
I tried holding power button and volume down, device doesn't seem to react
I tried holding all buttons, device seems to be longer in "no vibration phase"

I might have tried the combinations wrong, I remember that pressing some combinations caused the device to be briefly recognized by computer, but I can't find that combination now.

So I am stuck with possibly bricked phone with no OS and possibly no recovery.
Do you know anything that could help me? I really want to repair this phone, if only for the sake of repairing it and restoring confidence in my abilities. The sounds of it vibrating slowly drives me mad.

Thanks in advance for your time and for any tips and responses!
Try flashing stock firmware using mi flash tool for your device

pl1992aw

Apr 5, 2019
But I think that my phone is cereus (My phone is Xiaomi Redmi 6) so I concluded that twrp must be wrong

Why do you think you are right? How confident are you with this?

TWRP detect phone model and prevent flashing different ROMs for different model.

It read out your phone code: cactus, and you accuse it wrong. Base on what?

The 2 phone looks similar, but the camera on the back looks different.
Look here for comparation:
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9237&idPhone2=9217#diff-

Take a photo of the phone back, especially the camera module and post it here, so people can see which phone it is.

First get to fastboot mode.

If you cannot, then find Xiaomi repair center to help you.

Redmi 6 (Cerus) forum:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/c/xiaomi-redmi-6.7874/

Redmi 6A (Cactus) forum:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/c/xiaomi-redmi-6a.7881/

Jun 24, 2021
Okay, I managed to open the back of phone and disconnect battery.
After this phone stopped to vibrate and seemed to be turned off.
If turned on normally or attempted to access recovery, the phone resumed the anomalous state.

While turned off I pressed volume down and power then fastboot screen emerged.
I downloaded latest TWRP from official website, at the time of writing current version was 3.5.2

I managed to flash it and boot into recovery.
Currently fastboot and recovery are accessible.
I will notify if I manage to flash system and resume full functionality.

=======================================
Why do you think you are right? How confident are you with this?
I am like 60% sure. The site I bought the from phone states it is Redmi 6 (it is as reliable site as it can get). I will attempt to flash custom ROM for Redmi 6.

pl1992aw

Apr 5, 2019
Okay, I managed to open the back of phone and disconnect battery.
After this phone stopped to vibrate and seemed to be turned off.
If turned on normally or attempted to access recovery, the phone resumed the anomalous state.

While turned off I pressed volume down and power then fastboot screen emerged.
I downloaded latest TWRP from official website, at the time of writing current version was 3.5.2

I managed to flash it and boot into recovery.
Currently fastboot and recovery are accessible.
I will notify if I manage to flash system and resume full functionality.

=======================================

I am like 60% sure. The site I bought the from phone states it is Redmi 6 (it is as reliable site as it can get). I will attempt to flash custom ROM for Redmi 6.

Don't flash yet.

Use
XiaomiADBFastbootTools (Java)
https://github.com/Szaki/XiaomiADBFastbootTools

It need java se, follow his instruction.

During fastboot, plug the phone to PC, PC need to have internet connected.

Then start the XiaomiADBFastbootTools.

It will show you what model it is with the code name it read from the system.

Like this
screenshot.png

Then go to the correct forum and use the correct TWRP.

You may manage to install official TWRP, but it may not work properly when flashing.

Jun 24, 2021
Don't flash yet.

Use
XiaomiADBFastbootTools (Java)
https://github.com/Szaki/XiaomiADBFastbootTools

It need java se, follow his instruction.

During fastboot, plug the phone to PC, PC need to have internet connected.

Then start the XiaomiADBFastbootTools.

It will show you what model it is with the code name it read from the system.

Like this
screenshot.png

Then go to the correct forum and use the correct TWRP.

You may manage to install official TWRP, but it may not work properly when flashing.
Thank you, I will attempt to identify the model right away.

Jun 24, 2021
1624618086962.png

It seems it is indeed Redmi 6.
Should I keep this TWRP:
or should I try to find another one?

Also my endgame with this device is...
Since I am already neck deep in flashing left and right, I would like to:
* install twrp or similar recovery tool
* install custom OS, preferably open source (currently I have might sights on LineageOS)
* root the result

I do not ask of you to be helped in this endeavor, I just think it is appropriate to know this in order to understand the whole picture and how I got into this in the first place.

pl1992aw

Apr 5, 2019
View attachment 5347499
It seems it is indeed Redmi 6.
Should I keep this TWRP:
or should I try to find another one?

Also my endgame with this device is...
Since I am already neck deep in flashing left and right, I would like to:
* install twrp or similar recovery tool
* install custom OS, preferably open source (currently I have might sights on LineageOS)
* root the result

I do not ask of you to be helped in this endeavor, I just think it is appropriate to know this in order to understand the whole picture and how I got into this in the first place.

You can try:

It is listed in the official site.

First read the custom OS firmware requirement. Flash the official ROM of the firmware requirement, to prevent system corruption. (Or if there's Xiaomi.eu ROM alternatively) Boot to MIUI once to check if it's fine to boot up.

If you have success MIUI, then you can think to use custom ROMs.

Go here to look for ROMs:

Jun 24, 2021
Thanks for all the advices! I will slowly work my way through them.

I managed to flash a clean official ROM. The phone booted and works as expected.
It's different ROM Firmware than required, but it's calming to know, that I can restore the device to "default state".

I will now attempt to flash LineageOS via this tutorial:

Jun 24, 2021
Okay, I managed to get my phone back in a working order.
I will sum up here what happened and what I did for future generations.

Symptom: Phone is Xiaomi Redmi 6. (this tutorial might work for another models, but I will presume that you have this phone) Phone has black screen and vibrates for cca 20 seconds then stops and vibrates again.
Background: If you tried flashing your phone and you got into this state, don't panik, you can still save it!

Prerequisites:
Flashing of your phone is unlocked.
Your computer has ADB and Fastboot Drivers.

If you broke your phone via flashing, you most likely have those two checked. If not, please find another tutorials to get into this state.

I will now write tutorial, each step is labeled by a number, if needed I will write some short comment for each step.

1. Follow this tutorial and open back of your phone.
2. Disconnect your battery. (You don't need to unglue your battery in order to do so!)

(Now your phone shouldn't vibrate and should be turned off, take a breather, you don't need to listen to the vibrations anymore, from this state, you can access fastboot, but we need to prepare a few more tools. In theory you can close phone now, but I would recommend to do it after the phone is in fully working order.)

3. Download Xiaomi ADB/Fastboot Tools.
4. Follow the tutorial on the github to install Java JRE.
5. On your phone hold VOLUME DOWN + POWER. (Your phone should boot to Fastboot screen.)
6. Turn on Xiaomi ADB/Fastboot Tools and connect phone to computer.
7. Verify which architecture you have and download appropriate official ROM. (You can download it from Xiaomi Tools!)
8. Unpack the downloaded ROM (I had to unpack it twice).
9. Click select ROM folder in Xiaomi tools and select folder which you unpacked. (It should contain sh files, bat files, py files and folder "images")
10. Flash ROM.

Now if everything goes well, congratulations, you may pat yourself on the back, your phone should now work as it worked before. Whatever you did before, please be more careful this time.
I will now describe what I continued to do.

Follow optional steps ONLY if you want to install LineageOS.
I am including following steps only because I want to complete steps for what I did. If you wanted only to recover your phone, you are good to go.

I originally followed this tutorial:

OPTIONAL STEPS:
(you have been warned)
1. Download OriginalROM
2. Download LineageOS from previously stated tutorial.
3. Download TWRP.
4. Download Magisk.
5. Download Open GApps.

(so far you basically followed previously mentioned tutorial)
(from now on, I had to deviate from tutorial a little bit)

6. Depending if you are on the Windows/Linux/Else edit appropriate files in Original Rom which are named (Flash All, etc) so they don't contain "fastboot reboot" (this will be found to the end of file).
6. Via Xiaomi tools, flash Original ROM.
7. Reboot from Fastboot to Fastboot.
8. Flash TWRP.
9. Boot into recovery.
10. Connect phone and copy LinageOS, Magisk and GApps.
11. Flash LinageOS, Magisk and GApps (I did it in this order, I don't know, if it makes difference.)
12. Enjoy your phone.

For me, if I flashed rom without editing the files, the phone booted and user data were created, and then TWRP was unable to flash them. You can probably get around this via wiping out user data or another way.

I hope that this helped you and good luck with flashing!

Thanks to:
pl1992aw and Austinredstoner for getting me out of this mess
EinTim32 for creating the original tutorial
Szaki for Xiaomi tools
TWRP, Magisk and LineageOS developers for creating amazing software!