Question Bricked Pixel 6 Pro Help needed

Search This thread

TLS993

May 13, 2022
My pixel 6 pro is stuck in fastboot mode, and for some reason wont boot into android at all. It was running the android 13 beta 2, the device is not rooted, or anything. I have spent the best part of 2 hours navigating through the various bootloader/recovery menus on the phone, but not really getting anywhere. all I was trying to do was unenroll the phone from the beta updates, and return back to stock. it was downloading the latest public build after unenrolling the phone when something happened, and now it doesn't boot.

I am really stuck as I cant use the android flash tool to flash back to the public build of android 12, as I don't have OEM unlocking activated in developer settings on the phone, and obviously not being able to boot into android, means that I cant just restart to enable, like all the guides i have read tell you to do.

Is there a way to flash the phone back to stock android 12 through terminal some how without having OEM unlocking enabled? any help is appreciated, as I am currently looking at a £1000 paperweight at the moment.

liggerz87

May 11, 2013
There's another software on here called pixel flasher try that if they don't work see of more knowledgeable people message

might have to speak to Google and also were you bought it from

I had the 6 pro put on charge then turned on did restore from back up and it was like 5 to 100 of apps and then it did the march update and it boot looped that was on Saturday

I got into the safeboot mode or whatever it restated as that what I clicked then got into mode again then from there it's froze

I didn't get a replacement till Tuesday lol that was ee had no problems with new one

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
Also...flashing without a bootloader unlock is like Android No-No ...no.1 ...

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
My pixel 6 pro is stuck in fastboot mode, and for some reason wont boot into android at all. It was running the android 13 beta 2, the device is not rooted, or anything. I have spent the best part of 2 hours navigating through the various bootloader/recovery menus on the phone, but not really getting anywhere. all I was trying to do was unenroll the phone from the beta updates, and return back to stock. it was downloading the latest public build after unenrolling the phone when something happened, and now it doesn't boot.

I am really stuck as I cant use the android flash tool to flash back to the public build of android 12, as I don't have OEM unlocking activated in developer settings on the phone, and obviously not being able to boot into android, means that I cant just restart to enable, like all the guides i have read tell you to do.

Is there a way to flash the phone back to stock android 12 through terminal some how without having OEM unlocking enabled? any help is appreciated, as I am currently looking at a £1000 paperweight at the moment.
Since you are able to boot into fastboot, your device isn't bricked and should be recoverable. The first thing you will want to try is booting into Safe Mode to enable OEM unlocking:

1. Press your phone's power button.

2. When the animation starts, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until the animation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.

3. You'll see "Safe mode" at the bottom of your screen.

If that doesn't work, you can also try to flashing the OTA in recovery mode. Lots of videos on YouTube on how to update via OTA in recovery mode. Here's the Android OTA download page - you won't lose your data with this method. Chose the right image.

Next option would be to try wipe or reset by using the Recovery Mode (this will wipe your phone): While in Fastboot/Bootloader, choose Recovery Mode with the Volume buttons. On your screen, “No command” is displayed. Press and hold the Power button. While you hold Power, press the Volume Up button and let go of both buttons quickly. Choose factory reset option (this will wipe your device so be sure to try safe mode and OTA update methods before this option if you are trying not to wipe the phone).

If you just want to get your phone back without trying to save data, try Google's Official Flash Tool. I know most will say it's a waste of time if your BL is locked - but there have been many reports of users fixing issues just like yours even with a locked Bootloader.

You'll need a Chrome browser.

Because you're on 13 Beta, you could try just reinstalling the Core OS with the web flash Tool. Uncheck all the boxes (don't wipe or re-lock etc).

Last edited:

opz187

Sep 30, 2012

Go back to 13 beta 2 for now. Download the ota onto cpu. Go into fastboot, boot into recovery. Factory wipe in recovery. Then in recovery, go to sideload via adb. Adb sideload the beta zip. You're welcome 👍. Of course you'll have to know how to use adb and all that but hopefully you do.

TLS993

May 13, 2022
Go back to 13 beta 2 for now. Download the ota onto cpu. Go into fastboot, boot into recovery. Factory wipe in recovery. Then in recovery, go to sideload via adb. Adb sideload the beta zip. You're welcome 👍. Of course you'll have to know how to use adb and all that but hopefully you do.
Thanks for this, I will give it a go. I have used ADB before, so should be fine with that

Reactions: liggerz87

TLS993

May 13, 2022
Since you are able to boot into fastboot, your device isn't bricked and should be recoverable. The first thing you will want to try is booting into Safe Mode to enable OEM unlocking:

2. When the animation starts, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until the animation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.

If that doesn't work, you can also try to flashing the OTA in recovery mode. Lots of videos on YouTube on how to update via OTA in recovery mode. Here's the Android OTA download page - you won't lose your data with this method. Chose the right image.

Next option would be to try wipe or reset by using the Recovery Mode (this will wipe your phone): While in Fastboot/Bootloader, choose Recovery Mode with the Volume buttons. On your screen, “No command” is displayed. Press and hold the Power button. While you hold Power, press the Volume Up button and let go of both buttons quickly. Choose factory reset option (this will wipe your device so be sure to try safe mode and OTA update methods before this option if you are trying not to wipe the phone).

If you just want to get your phone back without trying to save data, try Google's Official Flash Tool. I know most will say it's a waste of time if your BL is locked - but there have been many reports of users fixing issues just like yours even with a locked Bootloader.

Because you're on 13 Beta, you could try just reinstalling the Core OS with the web flash Tool. Uncheck all the boxes (don't wipe or re-lock etc).
Thankyou for the suggestion, my phone however will not boot into any form of android. It just boots straight to the fast boot screen every time. Pressing the power button, you see the Google logo, but it then boots straight to fastboot. It's as if there is no os on the device at all

wulfgarfang

Feb 15, 2014
Thankyou for the suggestion, my phone however will not boot into any form of android. It just boots straight to the fast boot screen every time. Pressing the power button, you see the Google logo, but it then boots straight to fastboot. It's as if there is no os on the device at all
You mention power button but you never said you held the volume down button as you were powering on. you must hold the volume down button.

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
I understand it won't boot into Android. Your phone is fine. If you want help, dm me, I will get you sorted. You just need to re-flash Android using the above Flash tool.

Reactions: liggerz87 and yyz71

TLS993

May 13, 2022
Thanks everyone, After a bit of struggling to get the system image flashed, I finally managed to get it done using ADB sideload.

Took me around 15 attempts to get there, but I'm now up and running again. Thanks to everyone who replied, and assisted with the issue!

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
Thanks everyone, After a bit of struggling to get the system image flashed, I finally managed to get it done using ADB sideload.

Took me around 15 attempts to get there, but I'm now up and running again. Thanks to everyone who replied, and assisted with the issue!
That's good to hear - it's hard to brick a Pixel.
Best options to resolve issues is the Flash Tool, OTA Update or cli image. The OTA can be tricky when using platforms tools (adb/fastboot).

Last edited:

anasmhds

Feb 12, 2013
Huawei Mate 30 Pro
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hi
I ordered my phone from US, but did not realize that its Verizon OEM locked.
Any Idea how to unlock the bootloader? any way even paid method i am ready.
Now I am on A13 beta which is fine, can I flash a full rom using ADB update without any issues?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi
I ordered my phone from US, but did not realize that its Verizon OEM locked.
Any Idea how to unlock the bootloader? any way even paid method i am ready.
Now I am on A13 beta which is fine, can I flash a full rom using ADB update without any issues?
No Verizon device can ever have its bootloader unlocked. Sorry, you're just out of luck. With a locked bootloader, you can only ever upgrade to other official ROMs, such as Android 13 Beta 3, 4, and final release.

Last edited:

radioxmen

Nov 11, 2011
OnePlus 8
Redmi Note 10 Pro

Please how did you do for ADB sideload, because I now have the same problem as you and I'm still stuck on fastboot mode
PXL_20220519_011443584~2.jpg

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
Please how did you do for ADB sideload, because I now have the same problem as you and I'm still stuck on fastboot modeView attachment 5618033
Select recovery mode.
When you see No Command, press power and volume up at the same time (quickly). Then try factory reset. If that doesn't work, choose ota update and follow the links above.

tatail

Apr 12, 2008
Have same exact issue here.
When I try to sideload, I constantly get "cannot read" error.
I tried Large Address Awareness but even that didn't work.
Any help is appreciated

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    did you download the latest platform tools? make sure you are using 33.0.1 (run the command " adb --version ")
    then try again (different usb port and/or cable). It should succeed in flashing the ota. it sounds like that permission error is either invalid platform tools or something else.

remove all previous platform tools (never use mininal adb). go into recovery mode and do a factory reset. go to adb update, plug it into the computer, and run the update again. make sure you are using the OTA image here.

maybe even before you start, on a windows machine, download Google USB Driver, extract it, right click on Android_winusb.inf (and find "install"). then plug it in while in ota update mode and flash the ota image.

make sure you flash the same OTA image (or newer) that you currently have installed - downgrading won't work.
    Wow, that did the trick! I downloaded platform tools just yesterday, but was outdated for some reason. Also, the OTA from your source worked flawlessly. I was finally able to flash working OS, even with bootloader locked, turn on unlock OEM as well as USB debugging in dev options, and then flashed to stock android using flash.android.com. My dad couldn't be happier to not have to send the device to Google, since the Pixel 6 Pro is not officially supported in my country. You're a hero Alekos, many thanks!
    I can always choose to wipe data and I think that will work fine, but was saving that for last resort.
    If you are fully unlocked and can boot to fastboot/bootloader you are good. That's not a brick. That's a glitch.

For everyone else, keep the "OEM Unlocking" option enabled in developer options so you can easily save your device. first thing I do when I get my devices (this doesn't mean your Bootloader is unlocked but it allows you to unlock it without booting into Android, which can save your device).

No Verizon device can ever have its bootloader unlocked. Sorry, you're just out of luck. With a locked bootloader, you can only ever upgrade to other official ROMs, such and Android 13 Beta 3, 4, and final release.
    Thanks for your feedback.... just bad luck

Please how did you do for ADB sideload, because I now have the same problem as you and I'm still stuck on fastboot modeView attachment 5618033
    Select recovery mode.
    When you see No Command, press power and volume up at the same time (quickly). Then try factory reset. If that doesn't work, choose ota update and follow the links above.
    did you download the latest platform tools? make sure you are using 33.0.1 (run the command " adb --version ")
    then try again (different usb port and/or cable). It should succeed in flashing the ota. it sounds like that permission error is either invalid platform tools or something else.

remove all previous platform tools (never use mininal adb). go into recovery mode and do a factory reset. go to adb update, plug it into the computer, and run the update again. make sure you are using the OTA image here.

maybe even before you start, on a windows machine, download Google USB Driver, extract it, right click on Android_winusb.inf (and find "install"). then plug it in while in ota update mode and flash the ota image.

make sure you flash the same OTA image (or newer) that you currently have installed - downgrading won't work.
    Wow, that did the trick! I downloaded platform tools just yesterday, but was outdated for some reason. Also, the OTA from your source worked flawlessly. I was finally able to flash working OS, even with bootloader locked, turn on unlock OEM as well as USB debugging in dev options, and then flashed to stock android using flash.android.com. My dad couldn't be happier to not have to send the device to Google, since the Pixel 6 Pro is not officially supported in my country. You're a hero Alekos, many thanks!