Bricked Pixel XL

Search This thread

harritaco

Feb 16, 2013
So I messed up a bit when relocking my bootloader. I relocked the bootloader, and completely forgot that I had the ElementalX kernel installed. Now I'm at a point where my phone wont boot because it has a custom kernel installed on top of a locked bootloader, and I can't boot the phone to enable OEM unlocking. What the hell do I do here?

flonker

Nov 3, 2011
Doesn't the bootloader need to be unlocked?

You can still do that. If you want to get back to stock, read through this:

https://developers.google.com/android/images

Just make sure you download the correct images and follow the instructions. Read through everything before you start.

Edit: This is dependent on being able to get into fastboot, which, judging from another thread, might not be possible in your situation. Hopefully you still can boot into fastboot using the key commands.

Last edited:

harritaco

Feb 16, 2013
You can still do that. If you want to get back to stock, read through this:

https://developers.google.com/android/images

Just make sure you download the correct images and follow the instructions. Read through everything before you start.

Edit: This is dependent on being able to get into fastboot, which, judging from another thread, might not be possible in your situation. Hopefully you still can boot into fastboot using the key commands.

That is not an option. You need to have the bootloader unlocked in order to flash the images. I can't unlock the bootloader because I can't boot the device. I can get in to fastboot, and watch the charging animation, thats it. I can push commands, then it just comes back at me and tells me that I need to unlock the bootloader.

harritaco

Feb 16, 2013
Awesome man. I need to archive this solution as we all have brainfarts sometimes and it's only a matter of time before myself or someone else stumbles. Thanks for sharing your solution.

I definitely can't take credit for it, I saw it on a PSA thread that jcase posted on XDA regarding this topic. I happened to find the post after somebody mentioned him in my reddit post.

https://imgur.com/a/8O93m

longbowpilot

Jan 2, 2014
Anyone have any idea what to do if "fastboot continue" does not work. As I too am stupid and relocked the bootloader. Now all I get is "this device is courpt" when I try to boot it up.

nednednerb

Oct 30, 2011
Vancouver
youtube.com
Anyone have any idea what to do if "fastboot continue" does not work. As I too am stupid and relocked the bootloader. Now all I get is "this device is courpt" when I try to boot it up.

Did you load into bootloader (vol down + power) and try to run "fastboot -w" (to wipe userdata) then "fastboot continue" and wait 10 min. If you still don't boot power down, go into bootloader again and try "fastboot continue" again.

Sent from my sailfish using XDA Labs

v2.2v

Jun 10, 2010
I just want to confirm 100%...flashing stock will not RELOCK bootloader correct? I have a terrible freezing and force closing issue after rooting. I have flashed the stock boot image and tried other kernels but it hasn't helped. So I'm going to flash complete stock but afraid it will RELOCK bootloader

Forgot to mention I have an OTA but the download/install fails every time

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers mobile app

Last edited:

toknitup420

Jan 8, 2011
boston
This will not work with a locked bootloader. If it did, anyone could flash older firmware and use the bootloader unlock tool. You're screwed once you relock the bootloader with a non stock kernel. Unfortunately for the OP, I suspect he now has a very expensive paper weight.
Op fixed his issue. Read one page back. He got it to boot with fastboot continue.

On a side note. Why the hell is anyone locking their bootloader's.

Top Liked Posts