• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

bringing Nexus 6P to active duty but must've missed a direction ...

Search This thread

ur2punk

Feb 12, 2009
Greetings.

Due to events beyond my control, I had to give up my Pixel 3 XL (packing it as I type this) :(

Until funds become available, I decided to bring the Nexus 6P - with pre-mature battery shutdown issue - back to duty. I have new battery, lens cover, etc. waiting in the wings so it may become my primary whip after all. That is "if" I can undo whatever mistake I made tonight (knocking on wood).

The 6P was unlocked already before being retired (Idon't know if it matters or not). Stock image (I think it was 8.1) with security update from December 2018 I think.

Here's what I think I did tonight that lead to the current situation:
1. installed TWRP 3.3.1
2. along the way wiped one too many partitions - my stupidity
3. thanks to TWRP for warning me that there was no OS so went back, found USB-A to USB-C adapter, copied "PixelExperience_angler-10.0-20191113-2124-OFFICIAL," and used TWRP's "Install" option

First problem is that I noticed in the text log within TWRP that the vendor image was missing

Second problem, or perhaps because of above, after restarting the 6P it never gets out of the welcome screen of Android 10

Third problem, again may be related to #2 in the things I did tonight, when I reboot into TWRP recovery, first thing it does ask is "Mount, Decrypt Data" and "Enter Password" to which I don't know the password. If I select "Cancel" I get to TWRP main menu but I can see that "Internal Storage" is now at 0MB.

I know I did wrong here but is there any way to recover? Since it doesn't boot into Android 10 (just stuck at welcome screen, I guess using ADB on laptop, if it helps, is out of question? Can I fix this through TWRP?

Thank you for any help/advice.

ur2punk

Feb 12, 2009
UPDATE: Reading some more threads on XDA & decided to try Lineage. At one point seems to have things working following the directions but the SIM card was not recognized.

Thinking of trying again with Lineage but maybe with Lineage16 instead of 17. But what is the best stable ROM that is plain Android but perhaps based with up-to-date security patching?

Thank you!

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013
UPDATE: Reading some more threads on XDA & decided to try Lineage. At one point seems to have things working following the directions but the SIM card was not recognized.

Thinking of trying again with Lineage but maybe with Lineage16 instead of 17. But what is the best stable ROM that is plain Android but perhaps based with up-to-date security patching?

Thank you!

I've been running aicp for the past few months, which is 9.0 they still put out weeklies with security updates. Not sure how long they plan on supporting 9.0 though

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013
Thank you. Because the SIM was not recognized, I was going to restore to the last Android. I may just try the aicp ROM first.

Yeah I haven't noticed any issues with Sim with this device. You said you had it on a shelf for a while though, if it was before the last update the device got, DEC of 2018 did you DL the ota a d make sure the radio was up to date ?

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013
I had this SIM card issue when I was trying to flash RR, tried twice with same results. Came across a post once about a bug and it said to remove all screen locks, low and behold it worked... weird :confused:

Ah yeah, I've seen that before no idea why people have to do that. I've never had my Sim stop working because of a screen lock. I never looked onto why it happens. I always chaulked it up to a not a US problem because most of the people that posted about it seemed to be from a different country lol.

Reactions: redshirt110

ur2punk

Feb 12, 2009
Update!

I thought it would be a good idea for me to try this routine of wipe & install the Android 8.1 again to get myself comfortable with the process. Long story short, I did exactly that:

(- Bootloader was already unlocked)
- TWRP
- flashed/installed Dec 2018 OTA images/zip
- Installed Magisk

Everything seemed to be working fine when I found out ,while on road, that Google Maps don't work after 5 seconds or so (the navigation part). Read up & they suggested safe mode so I did that. Happy to report that it works so it is not the GPS antenna as some had reported. Whew.

Is there any particular image I need to reflash to see if that was the problem? Or should I just reinstall again? At least I'm getting more comfortable with the various commands - LOL.

Thank you!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had this SIM card issue when I was trying to flash RR, tried twice with same results. Came across a post once about a bug and it said to remove all screen locks, low and behold it worked... weird :confused:

Ah yeah, I've seen that before no idea why people have to do that. I've never had my Sim stop working because of a screen lock. I never looked onto why it happens. I always chaulked it up to a not a US problem because most of the people that posted about it seemed to be from a different country lol.