• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Broke my screen, display isn't working, phone is bent.

Search This thread

gauravtomar

Jul 26, 2021
OnePlus 6T
Hey guys, my phone had a fall from a height and the screen shattered and the phone has bent. Customer care is saying there's no guarantee that phone will work even after changing the display, as the phone is bent.

I can hear notifications, vibrations and alarm is also working.

But not able to connect the my phone to PC as USB debugging if not enabled, mobile to tv through hdmi will not work because of usb 2.0.

Can someone let me know how can I connect my phone to pc so that I can backup the data

Reactions: SMcC2 and blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Welcome to XDA🤗

In the future use a good case and always redundantly backup your data.

The chances of damage to the mobo is high.
High G impacts can internally damage chipsets and break solder joints including hard to inspect/repair BGA chipsets. This was a high G loading impact. A good case spreads out the G loading making severe impacts survivable.
Don't invest a lot of money in trying repair this device. Even if repaired future problems may occur with the original mobo. Replacing the frame, display and especially mobo are cost prohibitive.
Sorry but you're probably better writing it off.

gauravtomar

Jul 26, 2021
OnePlus 6T
@SMcC2 :

Is your bootloader unlocked?
No
Are you running stock ROM?
No
Are you comfortable using command line utilities such as adb and fastboot?
Not exactly, I tried installing adb command line and tried to see the devices connected using it after connecting the phone with usb cable. But I guess since the usb debugging was disabled it didn't worked. No experience with fastboot yet.
Any help in retrieving the data will be appreciated.

kitcostantino

Mar 21, 2011
Mayberry
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8
Buy another one and swap your board in is the only option is see. Then again, I have taken my OnePlus 6t apart many times. It's not the hardest phone to disassemble. But expect to pay about $100-200 and know the possiblity exists that your data is toast. Or find someone you are willing to trust to hook up your board, pull your data and wipe it. I should make that a service. Lol.
Edit: just for shiggles sake, how/where is it bent? A pic would definitely aide in determining the PITA level. I destroyed one OP6t I had in similar fashion, but had BL unlocked, USB debugging enabled, and custom TWRP recovery so the hardest part was paying the cost for a new one for my broken one. ;)

Reactions: dladz

SMcC2

Feb 22, 2014
Texas
OnePlus 6T
@SMcC2 :

No
No
Not exactly, I tried installing adb command line and tried to see the devices connected using it after connecting the phone with usb cable. But I guess since the usb debugging was disabled it didn't worked. No experience with fastboot yet.
Any help in retrieving the data will be appreciated.
Do you know what recovery you have installed?

SMcC2

Feb 22, 2014
Texas
OnePlus 6T
Thanks @blackhawk, my priority is the data retrieval, tried some softwares for days recovery but they all require usb debugging to be enabled and drive approvals on the phone which will not work as my screen is shattered and display is not working.

According to these articles:
Can We Enable USB Debugging using ADB Command?
Is there a way to enable USB debugging from fastboot?
It may be possible to enable ADB by modifying your build.prop and persistent_properties from recovery.
I tested and I was able to boot to recovery via physical buttons and then connect to TWRP command line and pull the files they say need to be edited.
*NOTE* Editing these files is dangerous and could cause the phone not to boot properly.

My process was:
Hold Vol+ Vol- and Power until you feel phone reboot to fastboot mode(short vibration here)
Vol -, Vol -, Power (reboot to Recovery)
Wait a minute or two...
Connect USB cable
adb shell
twrp decrypt *passcode*
*NOTE* If you're using a PIN number you can use the alphanumeric digits, if you're using a pattern you will need the details from the bottom of this link:
TWRP Commandline Guide
adb shell
mount /system_root
adb pull /system/build.prop
adb pull /data/property/persistent_properties
Open files in Notepad++, Make the edits, etc....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, my phone had a fall from a height and the screen shattered and the phone has bent. Customer care is saying there's no guarantee that phone will work even after changing the display, as the phone is bent.

I can hear notifications, vibrations and alarm is also working.

But not able to connect the my phone to PC as USB debugging if not enabled, mobile to tv through hdmi will not work because of usb 2.0.

Can someone let me know how can I connect my phone to pc so that I can backup the data
    Any additional details would helpful:
    Welcome to XDA🤗

In the future use a good case and always redundantly backup your data.

The chances of damage to the mobo is high.
    High G impacts can internally damage chipsets and break solder joints including hard to inspect/repair BGA chipsets. This was a high G loading impact. A good case spreads out the G loading making severe impacts survivable.
    Don't invest a lot of money in trying repair this device. Even if repaired future problems may occur with the original mobo. Replacing the frame, display and especially mobo are cost prohibitive.
    Sorry but you're probably better writing it off.
    Thanks @blackhawk, my priority is the data retrieval, tried some softwares for days recovery but they all require usb debugging to be enabled and drive approvals on the phone which will not work as my screen is shattered and display is not working.
    Buy another one and swap your board in is the only option is see. Then again, I have taken my OnePlus 6t apart many times. It's not the hardest phone to disassemble. But expect to pay about $100-200 and know the possiblity exists that your data is toast. Or find someone you are willing to trust to hook up your board, pull your data and wipe it. I should make that a service. Lol.
    Edit: just for shiggles sake, how/where is it bent? A pic would definitely aide in determining the PITA level. I destroyed one OP6t I had in similar fashion, but had BL unlocked, USB debugging enabled, and custom TWRP recovery so the hardest part was paying the cost for a new one for my broken one. ;)