broke my screen!

Search This thread

brd912

Sep 7, 2010
Let a buddy hold my phone and my luck kicked in, he dropped it. It was a very light fall and only have it 2 cracks on the edge and one hairline Crack across the screen. Phone works fine and I can see and touch everything. I've heard it's pricey to replace the screen on this thing because the screen assembly is one piece? Meaning I can't just buy the glass? Any advice or helpful links to reputable sites would be greatly appreciated. I've always just bought a new phone when I Crack my screen but this phone cost too much to just sell off for cheap. Thanks in advance

brd912

Sep 7, 2010
I need some help guys. No repair shop will touch the phone without replacing the glass and lcd and charging $399. I've seen multiple people claim to have changed the glass only and looking online that part isn't expensive at all. If anyone can confirm their success I may make the attempt to do it my self. I've already spent $400 on this phone so I'd like to spend as little as possible to fix it

brd912

Sep 7, 2010
Called every shop I could and all said it would he anywhere from 350-400 for the whole lcd assembly. I asked every store (in my state and neighboring state) if they could just replace the glass and all said no. So my question is if anyone reading this has a link to a reputable site to get the lcd assembly, under $270 if possible. And lastly, if I buy the necessary tools and watch videos, what's the chances of messing up the phone replacing the WHOLE lcd assembly, if I've never used a heat gun to remove glass? I've replaced the lcd assembly on my lg g2 but the back being plastic eliminated the need for any heat. I'm lost and don't want to spend $400 more.

Eric1084

No way to replace only the glass without risking damage to the AMOLED screen or digitizer. The screen is glued together, and a slight force will cause the screen to shatter. If you want to take that risk, you can go ahead and look up a tutorial, but it seems to be very difficult to only replace the glass and not the entire assembly(Thats why repair shops don't do them as the chance of failure is too high)

brd912

Sep 7, 2010
No way to replace only the glass without risking damage to the AMOLED screen or digitizer. The screen is glued together, and a slight force will cause the screen to shatter. If you want to take that risk, you can go ahead and look up a tutorial, but it seems to be very difficult to only replace the glass and not the entire assembly(Thats why repair shops don't do them as the chance of failure is too high)

What's the cheapest option? Buy the whole lcd assembly and change it my self? Or pay samsung and wait? I bought this second hand from a guy who come to find out still owed payments so no insurance route is possible. I'd have to send in my phone and wait

Eric1084

What's the cheapest option? Buy the whole lcd assembly and change it my self? Or pay samsung and wait? I bought this second hand from a guy who come to find out still owed payments so no insurance route is possible. I'd have to send in my phone and wait
Well, cheapest option is to do as you said, replace the glass. But if you fail during the process, your only bet would be to replace the whole assembly, and even if you had warranty, that would be completely voided. So if you are going to replace the assembly anyway, might be worth a try to separate the glass, and replace only the glass. And if it fails, you can just replace the entire assembly. But if you plans to send it to Samsung anyway, I would suggest you to do that without any diy modification to the device. If you are planning to buy the assembly, make sure you get a genuine OEM screen. I saw a lot of fake China lcd assembly, and S7 have amoled at much better resolution.

ProtoDeVNan0

Apr 3, 2013
I had a S6, and display while glueing? itself off, cracked the whole amoled screen completely. And Edge is even more dangerous. So all You can do is to pretty much either replace it Yourself (not too difficult if You ask me) but You will eventually make it not waterproof anymore. And You might break something while fixing it(like the paint or the back panel, although paint 90%) and then You will have to pay even more. Or just take it to repair service, pay.. I don't know. 50-100$ more and get a professional repair without any risk. And if it's going to be made by Samsung, You still might have waterproof phone after that. So I guess You should take it to a repair service. 50-100$ more, but trust me. You will most likely mess up the pain and ruin Your phone visually. As well as You will need to buy tiny screw drivers, some flat plastic tool, and adhesive tape. And sometimes using a hair dryer to open the back, will destroy some components inside. So be careful with that as well.

Or sell Your friends kidneys and pay for the repair :D

brd912

Sep 7, 2010
This sucks dude. I could literally purchase a nexus 6 for less than the price to fix this phone. I've looked at every phone out right now and nothing catches my eye like this one. I'd almost opt to buy the 3t before spending 400 to have a shop repair this one

chieco

Jul 6, 2011
If ur friend has insurance maybe they would pay for it. If not.
A new screen costs around 200$ from ebay or etrade supply. Those one come even without a samsung logo like the models in asia. Which imo looks super cool. If you a that screen transfering the old stuff isn't that hard. And there are many tutorials online. Maybe you could split? I mean he dropped it even if it's on accident he could give like 100$ then you have to spend 100$.

You could sell ur S7 edge. Trust me if it's just cracked and everything else is working you will find someone that buys it. In Germany you could get something between 250€~ 300€ for that. And then you spend again maybe 200€ and get a new or used one thats in good condition.

There are few options that you have. I wouldn't go to repair shops because they are often overpriced and don't treat ur stuff well.

And one last thing. Forget about replacing only the glas because that is impossible.

brd912

Sep 7, 2010
So if I buy the whole lcd assembly, all I need to do is heat up the back, cut the adhesive with a guitar pick, remove screws and unhook the connectors and replace?

chieco

Jul 6, 2011
yes exactly like that. like i said there are a ton of guides like on ifixit or on youtube. bur instead of a guitar pick i would you a playing card or pokemon card or something. the guitar pick or metal tools can scratch the backplate and the "sticker".