Broken screen, need to retrieve files off phone! help please

Search This thread

CodeRed071

Feb 25, 2009
My screen first cracked and then the LCD completely went now... I have files I need to retrieve off the phone. It is rooted and running some ICS build... I believe the phone is in USB debugging mode, the screen still 'works' I can unlock the phone but nothing is displayed on the screen. Possibly someone could help me out with the adb process for pulling the contents off the /sd

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, thank you for your time.

CodeRed071

Feb 25, 2009
As previously stated. I believe the phone was in USB debugging mode. And now the screen is completely black... impossible to navigate to where i need to be.

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
You'll need adb setup on your computer, and you'll need to cd your way into the folder with adb.exe. Forgive me for hotlinking, but this will make it easier: Download this file, courtesy of NexusSHacks.com (I believe it is Zedomax around here). I would advise to unzip the contents in this file to your C:\Nexus directory, so that adb.exe is at C:\Nexus\adb.exe.

Now, plug in your phone. Open your start menu and search for "cmd" and open up Command Prompt. This is the basic Windows CLI (Command Line Interface).

First, you'll need to open the directory of the Nexus folder you created earlier. To do this, type in the command prompt:

Code:
cd C:\Nexus

Now, you want to make sure adb sees your phone:

Code:
adb devices

The adb service should start and if it sees your phone it will pop up a serial number. If there is no serial number, you can't use adb while inside android and you'll need to tick the option or find an alternative way. Assuming it finds your device, you are good to go.

In order to copy the /sdcard folder of your Nexus S, you will use the pull command. We will throw all of the files into C:\Nexus\sdcard, for reference. So in the command prompt, type:

Code:
adb pull /sdcard .\sdcard

It looks a little confusing but don't stress. Just make sure you type it in exactly (dot, correct slash, etc). This will take a little while since it might transfer up to ~15GB worth. You'll see a new line with "C:\Nexus>" with a flashing cursor when it is done. Then you can view all the contents of your sdcard at C:\Nexus\sdcard and do with them as you please.

Also note, for this you'll need up to ~15GB of free space on your C:\ partition, make sure you have this before you start. Good luck ;)

flawedlegacy

Feb 8, 2010
StL MO -USA
old post I know, but I just dropped my Samsung Captivate (rooted with debugging on) and internal screen cracked (gorilla glass is perfectly fine!), so I am in the same boat. After DAYS... actually DAYS of trying everything from every forum I FOUND A FIX!!!

Now admittedly, I am unsure which of these two (or both) fixed the issue, but here is what I did:

via Google Play's online "shop", I installed "Auto Mount Your SD Card" by JRTStudio (admittingly, unsure if this did anything as I cannot verify if it installed or anything via the phone)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5qcnRzdHVkaW8uYXV0b21vdW50Il0.

then I DL'ed MoboRobo and after a few frustrated phone reboots, usb cable connections and much cursing IT CONNECTED!
http://www.moborobo.com/

I am currently DLing all my files from my broken phone!
I had to pass this along as I said... NOBODY seems to know about this as it has taken me DAYS to do this! Not even ATT (Current carrier) nor Spring (whom I am switching to in a month or so) could help me!

greg2826

Nov 11, 2010
Thanks went to both of u, quit important piece of knowledge.
One question; r u downloading "moborobo" on ur Android, on your pc or on both of them?

droidoidoid

Nov 3, 2011
If there is no serial number, you can't use adb while inside android and you'll need to tick the option or find an alternative way.

What do you mean by this?

My adb service doesn't detect my phone, I used Droidzone's tutorial. I believe usb debugging needs to be on for adb to work, which in my case is useless cause my screen is broken so can't turn on usb debugging.

This is what happens:

---------------------------

C:\>adb devices
List of devices attached

C:\>

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

^when I say broken, I mean the whole screen is distorted, I cannot see anything

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal

My adb service doesn't detect my phone, I used Droidzone's tutorial. I believe usb debugging needs to be on for adb to work, which in my case is useless cause my screen is broken so can't turn on usb debugging.

This is what happens:

List of devices attached

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Reboot to recovery. Bam, working ADB. You can navigate there pretty easily. Pull battery, then re-insert. VOL + & PWR, two click on VOL -, PWR button once. You're in recovery now.

droidoidoid

Nov 3, 2011
Reboot to recovery. Bam, working ADB. You can navigate there pretty easily. Pull battery, then re-insert. VOL + & PWR, two click on VOL -, PWR button once. You're in recovery now.

That's a little tough. I'm using a Galaxy S so I'm following instructions for that, but it's hard to know if I'm in recovery mode or not. Since adb doesn't detect the device, it's hard to know whether the phone went into recovery mode, or whether adb is setup correctly. It would be handy for a voice sample to play "recovery mode" once the phone boots into it.

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
That's a little tough. I'm using a Galaxy S so I'm following instructions for that, but it's hard to know if I'm in recovery mode or not. Since adb doesn't detect the device, it's hard to know whether the phone went into recovery mode, or whether adb is setup correctly. It would be handy for a voice sample to play "recovery mode" once the phone boots into it.

You're in the wrong forum, then.

And whether or not adb is installed properly, you would know in your device manager under Windows. Appears as a device.

droidoidoid

Nov 3, 2011
You're in the wrong forum, then.

And whether or not adb is installed properly, you would know in your device manager under Windows. Appears as a device.

Ok... Galaxy S i9000 stuff goes in the Galaxy S i9000 forum.... that's probably why my other post got deleted! :laugh:

As for adb... it appears as a process in task manager, so it's running - I know that much. It's not appearing as a device in device manager (why would it if it's a process? or are you referring to my phone appearing as a device?)

Only areas I can think of that aren't correct are the environment variable and the way I'm doing recovery mode. Since I can't see the screen, I don't know which one is causing the issue! :crying:

mikefromGE

Nov 1, 2012
Samsung broken??

Contact this guy in Paris , he's very good and friendly!! he repairs my blue Galaxy S3 in front of me

Tel: 0950 850 500 Direct Technique
repare-galaxy com

don't hesitate to call them because i know their skills and it's very good!!

tell them that u call from Mike :) ciao guys!!

SkullMblem

Apr 5, 2013
Problem!

Code:

It looks a little confusing but don't stress. Just make sure you type it in exactly (dot, correct slash, etc). This will take a little while since it might transfer up to ~15GB worth. You'll see a new line with "C:\Nexus>" with a flashing cursor when it is done. Then you can view all the contents of your sdcard at C:\Nexus\sdcard and do with them as you please.

Hey, I got to this problem and I got stuck. I also have a Nexus S with a cracked screen. When I put in the final phrase into the command window it just told me that 0 filles were pulled! Why didnt it pull my files?
What I am trying to do is get all of my pictures and others off the phone.
Please help!

Android1049

Jan 13, 2013
Hey, I got to this problem and I got stuck. I also have a Nexus S with a cracked screen. When I put in the final phrase into the command window it just told me that 0 filles were pulled! Why didnt it pull my files?
What I am trying to do is get all of my pictures and others off the phone.
Please help!

This happened to me as well. You have to make sure that your phone has its sdcard folder mounted. Type "adb shell" to get access to the phones command terminal. Then type in "mount /sdcard" I think, or maybe it was "mount sdcard". Either way will probably work so long as you are in the root directory of the phone. You can navigate around in the phone just like a normal linux terminal. "ls" shows list of files and folders in the current directory, "cd foldername" moves into a folder, "cd ../" moves back, "cd /" goes to root directory, etc. Anyhow, once you have mounted the sdcard, you can type exit to leave the shell terminal, and then issue the command "adb pull /sdcard .\sdcard" to get the files. I had a custom rom image in the root of my sdcard so the move took quite a while ~15 minutes. On success of the pull command you should see a bunch of statuses like:

pull: sdcard/data/somefile -> .\sdcard/data/somefile
pull: sdcard/DCIM/somefile -> .\sdcard/DCIM/somefile
XXXX files pulled. 0 files skipped
(Some more transmission stats)

Hope it works out for who ever reads this.

Side note:
On my phone the screen was smashed. I replaced it and it still would not turn on, but it was still running. I had a rooted phone with CM10 rom on it. ADB debugging was one (if its off your pretty much screwed). I started up the phone, and plugged in the usb cable. I tried to use both adb and fastboot from windows terminal. "fastboot devices" would echo back nothing, and "adb devices" would echo back my phone's device number but state it was offline. So to get it online I did the following:

1.) pull batttery.
2.) boot into bootloader (hold power and volume up) the phone shouldn't vibrate if it does you have just normally powered it on. It took me quite a few times to get this to go into the bootloader. To make sure you get in the bootloader type "fastboot devices". If nothing comes up you not there.
3.) once verified you are in the bootloader you need to go into recover mode. Press volume down twice and then hit power (this would normally move the cursor on your phone down to recovery and select it if you could see whats happening on the screen).
4.) wait a bit for it to load into recovery, try typing "adb devices". You should eventually see you device show up as online. At this point you may enter the shell as above, mount the sdcard, exit the shell and pull your files.

Windows instuctions:
Prerequisites are installing adb.exe and fastboot.exe via installing the Android SDK on your computer. They will show up in the platform-tools folder of the install location. Add that folder to your environmental path variable so you can run the ADB and fastboot commands from any folder. Install the ADB driver for your phone (allows you to issue adb commands to your phone when USB is plugged in) by plugging in your phone and going to device manager, find your phone which should show up as a exclamation point, right click update driver, click "browse...", then "let me pick...", click top entry something like "show all", and then let the list populate. On the left look for "samsung" and then select the first one that is something like "samsung adb driver interface". And you should be good to go.

Sorry for the long winded post, I just like to try and explain as much as possible.

Oct 17, 2013
www.iTechify.com
Successfully Recoverd data

Well My Samsung S2's Screen broke down few days ago.. Now i have retrieved the data by following the 2nd method in the following article..! I Hope this works for you aswell...
I can not Post the link here.. PM me if you want the link...!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You'll need adb setup on your computer, and you'll need to cd your way into the folder with adb.exe. Forgive me for hotlinking, but this will make it easier: Download this file, courtesy of NexusSHacks.com (I believe it is Zedomax around here). I would advise to unzip the contents in this file to your C:\Nexus directory, so that adb.exe is at C:\Nexus\adb.exe.

Now, plug in your phone. Open your start menu and search for "cmd" and open up Command Prompt. This is the basic Windows CLI (Command Line Interface).

First, you'll need to open the directory of the Nexus folder you created earlier. To do this, type in the command prompt:

Code:
    cd C:\Nexus

Now, you want to make sure adb sees your phone:

Code:
    adb devices

The adb service should start and if it sees your phone it will pop up a serial number. If there is no serial number, you can't use adb while inside android and you'll need to tick the option or find an alternative way. Assuming it finds your device, you are good to go.

In order to copy the /sdcard folder of your Nexus S, you will use the pull command. We will throw all of the files into C:\Nexus\sdcard, for reference. So in the command prompt, type:

Code:

Also note, for this you'll need up to ~15GB of free space on your C:\ partition, make sure you have this before you start. Good luck ;)
    old post I know, but I just dropped my Samsung Captivate (rooted with debugging on) and internal screen cracked (gorilla glass is perfectly fine!), so I am in the same boat. After DAYS... actually DAYS of trying everything from every forum I FOUND A FIX!!!

Now admittedly, I am unsure which of these two (or both) fixed the issue, but here is what I did:

via Google Play's online "shop", I installed "Auto Mount Your SD Card" by JRTStudio (admittingly, unsure if this did anything as I cannot verify if it installed or anything via the phone)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5qcnRzdHVkaW8uYXV0b21vdW50Il0.

then I DL'ed MoboRobo and after a few frustrated phone reboots, usb cable connections and much cursing IT CONNECTED!
    http://www.moborobo.com/

I am currently DLing all my files from my broken phone!
    I had to pass this along as I said... NOBODY seems to know about this as it has taken me DAYS to do this! Not even ATT (Current carrier) nor Spring (whom I am switching to in a month or so) could help me!

This is what happens:

List of devices attached