Broken screen, with constant phantom touches preventing everything

Search This thread

sanyigz

Oct 5, 2016
My phone's screen was broken, so the touch sensor (capacitive) sensing constant phantom touches, which prevents to do anything with it, even with mouse connected on OTG.

I can't connect on ADB, as once i've allowed my PC to always connect to it, yet asks for a confirmation at every connect, which i can't grant, as if i unlock the phone with fingerprint, the phantom fingers instantly tap the dialog away.

I can connect with fastboot, but it's useless.

My next idea is to disconnect the screen ribbon cable (xiaomi "engineers" were so smart that the display and the digitizer are on same cable... which is weird, as redmi 7 had seperate cables and this redmi note 7 have one), and buy an MHL type-c -> HDMI-OTG adapter, and connect it to TV, and the mouse, then i can access my files... however i doubt that it will work :(

Any tips how to hack it or something? I'm thinking about that it maybe possible to electronically disable, or "burn out" the touch sensor without disconnecting the screen ribbon. Is that possible? Perhaps the cleaning of screen would kill the phantom? :)

User699

Feb 28, 2021
I would like to help you but never had to deal with such a problem.
But let's try:

1. What do you want to achieve? Do you want to backup your data?
2. The phantom touches are instantly and do not stop?
3. Don't know if that works, but... Is the mouse connected to OTG always on the same place? Like does it appear on a fix default position on your screen every time you plug it in or does it remember its last position (or is it random)?
If you know that you could maybe try to detach the display and use the mouse to enable your adb connection constantly. And if that works you could use scrcpy (screencopy. Find it on github) to show your devices display on your computer without having to use your real smartphone display.

Reactions: blackhawk

sanyigz

Oct 5, 2016
But let's try:

3. Don't know if that works, but... Is the mouse connected to OTG always on the same place? Like does it appear on a fix default position on your screen every time you plug it in or does it remember its last position (or is it random)?
If you know that you could maybe try to detach the display and use the mouse to enable your adb connection constantly. And if that works you could use scrcpy (screencopy. Find it on github) to show your devices display on your computer without having to use your real smartphone display.
Its a quite common problem, however the most people just buy a new phone, and dump the broken one.

I want to backup one application's data particularly, yes.

Phantom touches are constant, always at the menu buttons.

I cant connect otg mouse and to adb at the same time... 1 usb only.

Why cant i just authrnticate myself through adb?

User699

Feb 28, 2021
I cant connect otg mouse and to adb at the same time... 1 usb only.
I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't see the most obvious things..

Why cant i just authrnticate myself through adb?
I don't know. What exactly happens if you try that?
You connect your phone with your computer and run some adb command (e.g. "adb devices") and then it asks you to authenticate, right?
And then?

Another question which I think you'll answer with "no": Did you unlock your bootloader?

sanyigz

Oct 5, 2016
I just cant do it, and didnt fide any help for it on google.
If i connect it, and list the adb devices, i see "unauthorized" and a dialog pops up on the phone to allow adb connection, but as soon as i unlock the phone the dialog goes away as the phantom touching the menu buttons...

No, the bootloader is not unlocked, else if would be able to save with twrp. I can unlock it with fastboot, but it does a factory reset on unlock...

User699

Feb 28, 2021
No, the bootloader is not unlocked, else if would be able to save with twrp. I can unlock it with fastboot, but it does a factory reset on unlock...
Yes, that won't be helpful.

If i connect it, and list the adb devices, i see "unauthorized" and a dialog pops up on the phone to allow adb connection, but as soon as i unlock the phone the dialog goes away as the phantom touching the menu buttons...
I have another idea. If you refer to the menu buttons you refer to the home, back buttons right? If your phone support it (and phantom touches allow it) you can go to setting -> System -> Gestures -> System navigation -> gesture navigation. Then click on the setting next to "gesture navigation" and turn of navigation hint.

Whatever those phantom touches are touch now – it won't be any of those menu buttons since they disappeared.

Now, hopefully adb authorization works.

sanyigz

Oct 5, 2016
Yes, that won't be helpful.

I have another idea. If you refer to the menu buttons you refer to the home, back buttons right? If your phone support it (and phantom touches allow it) you can go to setting -> System -> Gestures -> System navigation -> gesture navigation. Then click on the setting next to "gesture navigation" and turn of navigation hint.

Whatever those phantom touches are touch now – it won't be any of those menu buttons since they disappeared.

Now, hopefully adb authorization works.
As i wrote, i cant do anything on UI, as the phantom always touch back to the menu, or to the photo app, which i cant even pull out from quick access due to the phantom.

jwoegerbauer

• Jul 11, 2009
    European Union
    Having a ghost touch issue, it's probably not a problem with the software, but it's a hardware problem with your display and the way it's housed inside the chassis of your phone. If you're an engineer and happy taking electronic devices apart ( and have all the required specialty tools ), then you might fix the issue by simply disconnecting the screen from its data connectors for a while and then reseating the screen.

sanyigz

Oct 5, 2016
    Having a ghost touch issue, it's probably not a problem with the software, but it's a hardware problem with your display and the way it's housed inside the chassis of your phone. If you're an engineer and happy taking electronic devices apart ( and have all the required specialty tools ), then you might fix the issue by simply disconnecting the screen from its data connectors for a while and then reseating the screen.
    It's very hard to do anyting on phone anything blindly...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      But let's try:

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone