• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. To discuss, report bugs and other issues, use this thread.

Bromite magisk module

unixandria

Apr 1, 2019
www.linuxandria..com
This is the unofficially official Magisk Module for Bromite System Webview.

What is this module?

This module allows you to install Bromite System Webview without touching your system partition, and handles everything from stock ROM compatibility to preventing crashes (in most cases) so that you don't have to! Module versions from v4.0 onward are compatible with a majority of stock ROMs (I've had reports that MIUI and OneUI may have some issues but I don't have one of those devices to test on).

Why bromite?

Bromite System Webview offers significant privacy improvements over the default google webview/and or Chrome and/or AOSP webview. Even better, it sends absolutely zero information to google!

Why not just move it manually into place or use NanoDroid?

The first method requires you to modify /system directly, which may not pass SafetyNet or may even bootloop your device. The second method has no (guaranteed) compatibility with non-custom ROMs, and may not even work on some of those. In addition, NanoDroid modules have a history of bloating the system when left with default options.

But I want to install to /system (why would you???)

You can! Just add -sysover to the end of the downloaded zip filename! However, please be aware boot scripts depend on either magisk, supersu, or init.d support. (This works in version 4.0 - 4.4.3 with enhanced TWRP support in 4.3)

Help! Something is broken!

I'll be happy to help but first I need:

- For installs: /sdcard/bromitewebview-debug.log
- Everything else: /sdcard/bromite/logs/verbose.log
- A detailed description of the issue

Please be aware I am more active on Telegram than Discord or XDA. Link is in the "Links" section below.

Links

If you like my work and want it to continue, donate at: https://paypal.me/linuxandria or https://www.patreon.com/linuxandria_xda

Beta/alphas are available at https://github.com/linuxandria/bromitewebview/releases

Telegram: https://t.me/alexiadev *Beta and alpha releases are here

Discord: https://discord.gg/gTnDxQ6

Bromite project: https://bromite.org

*Disclaimer: This module, like any method of installing bromite system webview, is not officially endorsed by the Bromite project.

XDA:DevDB Information
Bromite Systemless WebView , Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
clcombs262, unixandria, topjohnwu, the Bromite team, all the testers, zackptg5
Source Code: https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Repo/bromitewebview

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 5.0.1
Stable Release Date: 2020-02-20
Current Beta Version: 5.1
Beta Release Date: 2020-03-10

Created 2019-06-05
Last Updated 2020-07-16

unixandria

Apr 1, 2019
www.linuxandria..com
Stable 6.0.0 is here!

After a lot of work and testing, here is v6.0.0!

Version: 6.0.0

Changes:
- Rework the module
- Better support android < 10
- Rework overlay creation
- Verify downloads for security
- Rework offline install
- Instead of renaming the apk, just place the appropriate apk in /sdcard/bromite, eg arm64_SystemWebView.apk
- Misc bugfixes

Head to magisk manager to update now!

Social platforms: https://t.me/alexiadev, https://discord.gg/gTnDxQ6

If you like my work and want it to continue, donate at: https://paypal.me/linuxandria or https://www.patreon.com/linuxandria_xda

pocholo36

Mar 4, 2014
Muck City
Boot loop... I've had to remove with MM module 3 times now. Immediate shutdown toast once phone gets booted up.

Never had issues with this until latest OOS update to 10.5.13...

Dunno if it matters, but I'm unable to pass safety net since latest update. Please see attached logs. Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

closedcircuit

Jan 25, 2012
Boot loop... I've had to remove with MM module 3 times now. Immediate shutdown toast once phone gets booted up.

Dunno if it matters, but I'm unable to pass safety net since latest update. Please see attached logs. Thanks
I'm getting bootloops on the OP7T as well on OOS 10.0.12HD65AA.

Had to use the command adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules to get everything back up running.

Logcat attached.

Attachments

mohas53946

Sep 18, 2020
Hello there,
My installation of the module is getting failed with error "no capable apk was found" or "files failed to download" my device is Zenfone 2, x86 arch, Android 6.0.1
I'm having the same issue as keshav_c17, I tried installing through magisk, TWRP and both didn't work. I tried non root method but I didn't have the /system/app/webview folder for some reason.

Using Samsung S7, on LineageOS 17.1-20200911-UNOFFICIAL-herolte.

unixandria

Apr 1, 2019
www.linuxandria..com

unixandria

Apr 1, 2019
www.linuxandria..com

That would be an OxygenOS side issue, and as I don't have that version yet I cannot say what is the problem, but nonetheless try the latest version and if you still have issues join the telegram group

aleph.mercury

May 30, 2020
webview

sometimes the bromite webview doesn't show up for me and it's stuck on android webview with no other options, I go and grab the xposed module "any webview is ok" and that makes the bromite option appear. then I use the magisk module debloat to remove the android webview, leaving just the bromite one available and activated .
of course, nothing works with android 11 for me right now, I guess because of the system_ext stuff. the magisk module app_systemizer doesn't work now either...

nefaf21493

Sep 25, 2020
I'm having the same issue as keshav_c17, I tried installing through magisk, TWRP and both didn't work. I tried non root method but I didn't have the /system/app/webview folder for some reason.

Using Samsung S7, on LineageOS 17.1-20200911-UNOFFICIAL-herolte.

@unixandria , thank you very much for the latest update. The above quoted comment was my throwaway account and I am pleased to report that I successfully flashed the Webview as a Magisk module. Though I already wiped my device as I tried to install via NanoDroid LOL.

UserEmu89

Aug 24, 2020
It didn't worked. It caused boot loop in my Moto G4 plus when installed through magisk. So I had to wipe my system and reflash the stock rom.

And it was a wierd boot loop. When I switch on, the hello Moto animation runs and the system was trying to show up but the whole animation was repeating everytime. It was not actual boot loop, just the system was not showing. If it was an actual boot loop only the logo part (at the end) of animation keeps repeating.

Last edited:

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
Some users report issues with detecting internet on installation, if you run into such issue, simply follow instructions for offline install!
still slightly confused, I came here looking for an APK to download because I can't see one inside the module zip to move, I can't see anything to download here or on github.

please be gentle when castigating me.

PS can I just take the magisk zip and flash it via TWRP now?

pocholo36

Mar 4, 2014
Muck City
@unixandria Tried the latest with same issue. Upon 1st boot before auto bootlooping, I noticed sim card was disabled.

Used MM module to remove bromite through recovery.
After reboot, Google Chrome was disabled.

Logs attached

Last edited:

amn1987

Jan 20, 2017
Bhubaneswar
Can someone please take a look at the ADB output and explain if Bromite WV can be installed or not?
Currently running a year old Havoc Pie in a Redmi 3s. The default Android WV was version 75/76. Installing updated WV from Play Store didn't seem to update the system WV as I kept getting SSL security errors in various apps. Removed the default WV with Titanium Backup and installed Chrome and set it as default WV provider. SSL errors in third-party apps continues however.

Attachments

LargestJ

Apr 19, 2020
I love what you are trying to do with this and I am very thankful for your work. I have a Pixel XL on Lineage 17.1. I can install Bromite through Magisk and uninstall no problem. However it seems like this is a bit of cat and mouse with Google and Microsoft. Each time I install it is OK until Google/Microsoft updates or any other app that uses the android.webview. Is there any other tweak that can make the Bromite installation stable? I know I shouldn't complain about apps not working using Bromite but would appreciate any suggestions? Or is it a losing battle with a Pixel phone?

Many thanks

Last edited:

Lennoard

Recognized Developer
May 5, 2015
Teresina
hebfoptimizer.androidvip.com.br
Had to uninstall. Experiencing high CPU usage therefore high temperature too. Overall slowness and unstable. I'm not trying to be negative but this messed up really bad and made me double think whether this was a coinminer or something that's how I ended up here. As I type this, my keyboard app got killed 5 times already.

I also didn't see any other option in the WebView implementation setting other than the Android System WebView so everything is just strange.

Last edited:

feciku

Feb 16, 2020
Bootloop after rebooting

Dear XDA Friends and Developer,
When I'm rebooting system, my device is done with bootloop now. I'm using: Redmi Note 4x with EvolutionX custom ROM, Magisk v21.0, and last update Bromite Systemless WebView today. HOW CAN I SOLVING THIS PROBLEM? HELP!! When I see Magisk Manager at OrangeFox vRII.O, I can't found anything about Bromite in the list. But, my device has bootloop, where system location that module do, so I can erase or repair it??

The Wrath of Kahn

Sep 25, 2012
Wow. That's a lot of negativity out there. All I can say is that the latest version worked perfectly on my Pixel 2XL running the september patch of android 11. No battery drain, no unusual CPU usage. Thank you dev, for all your continued work!

unixandria

Apr 1, 2019
www.linuxandria..com
still slightly confused, I came here looking for an APK to download because I can't see one inside the module zip to move, I can't see anything to download here or on github.

please be gentle when castigating me.

PS can I just take the magisk zip and flash it via TWRP now?
Of course you won't find an apk in the module, it's downloaded at runtime otherwise the zip would be 400MB+ for all the different architecture I support

unixandria

Apr 1, 2019
www.linuxandria..com
FAQ about WebviewSwitcher:

1. Q: What is this?
  2. A: It's the successor to Bromite Systemless Webview with more features bd stability
  3. Q: What happens to Bromite Systemless Webview?
  4. A: It'll be seamlessly replaced with WebviewSwitcher. Those who flash beta will already see this, and once it's stable it'll get pushed to the magisk repository.
  5. Q: What if I just need Bromite?
  6. A: This is still the default behavior. By default it'll install the Bromite Webview and browser. You don't have to do anything.
  7. Q: How do I choose a different Webview or browser?
  8. A: Simply edit config.txt to your liking, delete any existing APKs from previous install and reflash the module

You can find out more at my blog post

gorillus

Jan 15, 2014
Not sure, if this is relates to your module. I installed the module, but in developer settings, where I can choose the webview engine, bromite is greyed and it is written, it is not active for the user "me"... What should I do? I am on Linage for MicroG 15.1

clcombs262

Oct 16, 2018
Monticello
Not sure, if this is relates to your module. I installed the module, but in developer settings, where I can choose the webview engine, bromite is greyed and it is written, it is not active for the user "me"... What should I do? I am on Linage for MicroG 15.1
disable chrome

It's a preferred webview package and will be used no matter what if installed

DvineLord

Aug 29, 2010
anyway to exclude the actual bromite webview from the zip and script it detect architecture and download correct version and install as system since the filesize is awfully large 150mb+!? i guess that'd make it only work in magisk manager and not twrp flash.

gorillus

Jan 15, 2014
disable chrome

It's a preferred webview package and will be used no matter what if installed
Well it was kind of the opposite. I disabled the default webview (Lineage OS) and installed the Bromite Module afterwards. Now I re-enabled webview, which was no longer the default, but Bromite. So it works, if you don't disable default webview, because Bromite is a replacement. Never had chrome installed btw.

JohnWrick

Jan 24, 2018
Butwal
Problem is the version is kept anonymous.

So there is no easier way to find what version of Bromite u r flashing.

No details in Magisk module, nothing.

I mean, I know u can't keep the browser up-to-date, but that doesn't mean, u need to hide it too. It dumb thing to do.

clcombs262

Oct 16, 2018
Monticello
Problem is the version is kept anonymous.

So there is no easier way to find what version of Bromite u r flashing.

No details in Magisk module, nothing.

I mean, I know u can't keep the browser up-to-date, but that doesn't mean, u need to hide it too. It dumb thing to do.
We don't hide anything; the app version is easily found under app info

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using XDA Labs

Reactions: wong.izzat

clcombs262

Oct 16, 2018
Monticello
anyway to exclude the actual bromite webview from the zip and script it detect architecture and download correct version and install as system since the filesize is awfully large 150mb+!? i guess that'd make it only work in magisk manager and not twrp flash.
It was chosen to do it this way because the last attempted way broke versions 1.4-2.0, we just aimed for a stable version

Thanks for the feedback though, we'll definitely consider it in v3.0

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using XDA Labs

Last edited:
Reactions: DvineLord

Doom Slayer

Jan 16, 2011
Mars
Weird, I installed this module on Xz premium (stock pie) but it's not showing in selection of webviews, in developer settings ,not there at all.
I use Google-free Chinese version with NanoDroid installed.

I don't think it's module problem, it appears in list of system apps,but system doesn't recognise it as Webview.
Edit: just tried to push apk into system, results are the same.

Theoretically if I repack apk with the same name as android Webview maybe system will recognise it.

Last edited:

tecnicaemail

Sep 17, 2017
São Paulo
Good evening, first friend, excuse my English, I use Google translator! I installed on my Xiaomi S2 Android 9 Miui10 and everything OK. Only application that gave bad was OLX. Reminding friends that I installed Magisk and used the Titanium backup to freeze the Google View.

skymera

Mar 28, 2010
Not working on the few AOSP / LOS ROMs for the OnePlus 3 I've tried.
Module installs but there's no Bromite webview under developer options

JohnWrick

Jan 24, 2018
Butwal
Anyway I have to uinstall it because I couldn't open Gmail and other apps behaved bad, i.e exit itself.

Waited few days, rebooted but nothing worked.

Device: 1+5, Magisk, Twrp, Oxygen Os Latest

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone