browser in qslide apps for vzw g2

Search This thread

blazewit

Jun 16, 2010
Madison
As all of us vzw g2 owners know, verizon left out the browser app in favor of chrome. But they didnt enable qslide with chrome. We do have the stock browser in a flashable zip but it doesn't show up in qslide. Untill now lol. I take no credit for this i just figured it out through trial and error. Ok first flash the stock browser zip from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2452399 then copy this browser apk https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lbyXDReetfdmg2Zm8tU0dRd1k/edit?usp=sharing to system and reboot, bingo stock lg browser in qslide. Don't forget to hit thanks if this helps you out. :)

Last edited:

lakaw

Jun 17, 2013
Wichita
Great! Although the icon works fine for me. What I'd like to see is Mobile hotspot in quick settings...

mzimand

Jan 29, 2010
As all of us vzw g2 owners know, verizon left out the browser app in favor of chrome. But they didnt enable qslide with chrome. We do have the stock browser in a flashable zip but it doesn't show up in qslide. Untill now lol. I take no credit for this i just figured it out through trial and error. Ok first flash the stock browser zip from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2452399 then copy this browser apk https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lbyXDReetfdmg2Zm8tU0dRd1k/edit?usp=sharing to system and reboot, bingo stock lg browser in qslide. Don't forget to hit thanks if this helps you out. :)

Where in the System do we put the apk? Also do we have to rename the apk?

garywojdan81

Aug 10, 2010
Put the apk in system/app. I renamed it to browser.apk just for my own convenience. You don't have to though.
To the o.p., thanks this worked perfectly.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

blazewit

Jun 16, 2010
Madison
Put the apk in system/app. I renamed it to browser.apk just for my own convenience. You don't have to though.

Yea i actually just put it in system/app and clicked the button to overwrite the old one, glad it works for u bro although I have no idea why lol

Last edited:

dajmanjt

Oct 3, 2010
Shreveport, LA
Yea i actually just put it in system/app and clicked the button to overwrite the old one, glad it works for u bro although I have no idea why lol

Honestly I am pretty sure you don't have to flash the browser zip before putting the apk in the system/app folder. Just rename the apk you provided to LGBrowser.apk and put it in system/app, also changing the permissions to match the other system apps. The zip is simply flashing the same file without the qslide properties that are built into the apk you have linked to. For some reason those properties were not included in the zip scott posted for the LG browser. Great find overall! Just wanted to clarify that people dont need to flash the zip... just use the apk you provided named correctly with the correct permissions in the system/app folder and reboot. Sweetness!!!

garywojdan81

Aug 10, 2010
Honestly I am pretty sure you don't have to flash the browser zip before putting the apk in the system/app folder. Just rename the apk you provided to LGBrowser.apk and put it in system/app, also changing the permissions to match the other system apps. The zip is simply flashing the same file without the qslide properties that are built into the apk you have linked to. For some reason those properties were not included in the zip scott posted for the LG browser. Great find overall! Just wanted to clarify that people dont need to flash the zip... just use the apk you provided named correctly with the correct permissions in the system/app folder and reboot. Sweetness!!!

Not my experience. I tried pushing & renaming just the apk when Scott first posted it. Fixed permissions, reboot & the icon didn't even show up. Booted back into twrp to wipe cache/dalvik & fix permissions from there & when I rebooted the icon was present but gave an immediate FC when selected. I gave up on it & grabbed the aosp browser from the play store.
This has been the only way I could get the stock lg browser to work at all. Having it in qslide is just icing on the cake.

Reactions: dajmanjt

dajmanjt

Oct 3, 2010
Shreveport, LA
Not my experience. I tried pushing & renaming just the apk when Scott first posted it. Fixed permissions, reboot & the icon didn't even show up. Booted back into twrp to wipe cache/dalvik & fix permissions from there & when I rebooted the icon was present but gave an immediate FC when selected. I gave up on it & grabbed the aosp browser from the play store.
This has been the only way I could get the stock lg browser to work at all. Having it in qslide is just icing on the cake.

The key to your statements is you were using Scott's apk which is not this apk posted. Compare the apk in Scott's zip to this one. I am talking about pushing this apk into the system without flashing Scott's zip. But if you needed Scott's zip flashed first and then pushing this apk I suppose there must be something going on in the background I'm not aware of. In my experience they are different apks. Scott's zip flashes the first browser version into system/app folder and then all we are doing is then pushing this second version apk and overwriting it. So basically the first step is unnecessary imho. But whatever works :) thanks to the op for this other apk.

blazewit

Jun 16, 2010
Madison

I tried just pushing the apk to system/app and rebooting and it didn't work for me that's why I said to do it the way I have it in the op. If it works for people with out the initial flash great, but if anyone gets force closes after just pushing the apk try flashing the zip 1st

Last edited:

thenewak

Apr 3, 2010

I tried just pushing the apk to system/app and rebooting and it didn't work for me that's why I said to do it the way I have it in the op. If it works for people with out the initial flash great, but if anyone gets force closes after just pushing the apk try flashing the zip 1st

after flashing I did get the qslide app but when trying to go to google.com i get the error in the picture. it is also happening on Chrome browser now too. I cannot search google either from the browsers...any help?

thenewak

Apr 3, 2010
after flashing I did get the qslide app but when trying to go to google.com i get the error in the picture. it is also happening on Chrome browser now too. I cannot search google either from the browsers...any help?

Okay figured it out. I am running clean rom and idk if the scotts rom one works with this one or not. SO...I just took the LGBrowser apk from the op and dropped it in the system/app folder. That worked like a charm...and Now all browsers working and qslide etc. I would suggest a nandroid which is why I fixed mine :) also rename the LGBrowser.apk in the system/app folder to LGBroswer.bak or something before replacing it with the one in the op so if it gets jacked you can back it up. Anyways good luck to you all and thanks op.

blazewit

Jun 16, 2010
Madison

Ok so i did alittle googling and as far as i can tell i could be a problem with the site or your network especially if its a guest network. But one of the fizes seems to be clearing browser cache, cookies and history (id clear data in the app manager too for good measure) if that doesn't work google the first few words of the error cuz there were a ton of entries and one should have a fix that works for u. Either way i really dont see why just installin an apk would cause that so you may have some deeper issues with the network where your at?

thenewak

Apr 3, 2010
Ok so i did alittle googling and as far as i can tell i could be a problem with the site or your network especially if its a guest network. But one of the fizes seems to be clearing browser cache, cookies and history (id clear data in the app manager too for good measure) if that doesn't work google the first few words of the error cuz there were a ton of entries and one should have a fix that works for u. Either way i really dont see why just installin an apk would cause that so you may have some deeper issues with the network where your at?

I tried it on 4g and my work WiFi. But either way it is working and thanks for the post just thought I'd post my experience with the fix.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

curiousmileo

Jun 25, 2010
Hey i was wondering, do you think this could work in a AT&T g2? Cause this is the one thing missing on my phone that i just need man

blazewit

Jun 16, 2010
Madison
Hey i was wondering, do you think this could work in a AT&T g2? Cause this is the one thing missing on my phone that i just need man

The att version doesnt have the stock browser either? I assumed it did. But yea It should, there is nothing device specific in the apk but i didnt put the zip together so the updater script might have a version check, but try it n let me no. The absolute worst case scenario is forced closes

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Awesome dude. Confirmed it worked!

Manually copy apk over and change permissions to match other files, then flash the LGBrowser.zip. Then it shows up in QSlide apps and floats. So nice.

I've been missing this since I got my G2. I watched a video and seen the floating browser and QuickNotes. Ran and picked up my Verizon phone and found they removed the browser.

-sent from my LG G2 using XDA Premium 4

curiousmileo

Jun 25, 2010
The att version doesnt have the stock browser either? I assumed it did. But yea It should, there is nothing device specific in the apk but i didnt put the zip together so the updater script might have a version check, but try it n let me no. The absolute worst case scenario is forced closes

so yea i tried it and it force closes. I flashed it first, then went and put it in my system/apps and over wrote the previous lg browser and then changed the permissions and then rebooted and i can see and press on it but it still force close. i dont know why.

edit:eek:k so new issue. i tried to delete or remove anything that had to do with the lgbrowser in the system app and now it is in the qslide app but it opens up in the full app.. hmmm

Last edited:

blazewit

Jun 16, 2010
Madison
so yea i tried it and it force closes. I flashed it first, then went and put it in my system/apps and over wrote the previous lg browser and then changed the permissions and then rebooted and i can see and press on it but it still force close. i dont know why.

edit:eek:k so new issue. i tried to delete or remove anything that had to do with the lgbrowser in the system app and now it is in the qslide app but it opens up in the full app.. hmmm

What ROM are u running bro? I'll see if I can duplicate it on the ROM ur running so we can maybe figure out why its not working for u

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Will this work for sprint also? THey left it out too -_-

I tried for sprint version. I could select it in qslide but it didn't float(opened full app)